Search

If you're going to Canada, consider driving back to the US

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you're going to Canada, consider driving back to the US

I had to go to Plattsburgh NY and Montreal last week for company meetings and originally booked AC's YUL-DEN nonstop for my 10/7 return. Since my DEN-BTV was early Sunday morning 10/3, I got my PCR test in Denver on Saturday PM 10/2. That gave me until Tuesday afternoon 10/5 to drive across the border. But, since my Thursday 10/7 return was more than 72 hours after my Denver test, I booked a rapid test for Wednesday AM 10/6 in Montreal. so I could meet the US return-by-air test requirement.

It wasn't until I filled out the over the top personally invasive ArriveCAN app and then had spent a day there to understand how completely the insanity of Covid paranoia has taken over. Masks everywhere and masks required to enter any office building. We had a company dinner Wednesday evening where we were required every attendee to show proof of vaccine to enter, and the resto had, in advance, told us "no standing and mingling with drinks" prior to dinner, even though it was never enforced during our hour long pre-dinner standing and mingling party. LOL. Nevertheless, that warning was enough to tell me that there was no way I going to take a test here and run the risk of getting a false positive... and forced to decide between running for the border or quarantine for 14 days.

So I cancelled my AC flight, changed my BTV-YUL Avis rental to local BTV-BTV rental and rebooked my flights home from BTV. I drove the two hours to BTV early on 10/7 crossing the border into the US without having to take another Covid test.

Unless you are going for a short visit where your US Covid test result will be valid for your return flight, you may want to think about your return options and the consequences of getting a positive test there prior to returning.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 10, 2021 at 6:02 am

Top Answer

Oct 10, 2021, 7:00 am
mlbcard

Chances of a false positive are low (although, they’re higher with the at home tests). They’re pretty much zero with PCR, but that has an unreasonable turnaround time.

You may be annoyed, but this (& their higher vaccination rate) is the reason why Canada has like a tenth the covid rate than the US right now. I felt way more comfortable in Canada because they’re stricter with their covid protocols. I can still eat out and go to museums and events.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Chances of a false positive are low (although, they’re higher with the at home tests). They’re pretty much zero with PCR, but that has an unreasonable turnaround time.

You may be annoyed, but this (& their higher vaccination rate) is the reason why Canada has like a tenth the covid rate than the US right now. I felt way more comfortable in Canada because they’re stricter with their covid protocols. I can still eat out and go to museums and events.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlbcard
Chances of a false positive are low (although, they’re higher with the at home tests). They’re pretty much zero with PCR, but that has an unreasonable turnaround time. You may be annoyed, but this (& their higher vaccination rate) is the reason why Canada has like a tenth the covid rate than the US right now. I felt way more comfortable in Canada because they’re stricter with their covid protocols. I can still eat out and go to museums and events.
Indeed, the chances of a false positive are low, but they are not ZERO. In the end, I was not willing to risk that and the potential for 14 days in jail quarantine.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 10, 2021 at 5:58 pm Reason: Well off topic for this forum
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:29 am

Mods, please delete. This isn’t the place for politically-driven misinformation.
Larrude, Redhead, estnet and 30 others like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 10, 2021 at 10:45 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlbcard
Mods, please delete. This isn’t the place for politically-driving misinformation.
Ah yes, anything you don't understand, care to research or believe is misinformation. Of course. BTW, I wasn't the one that started down this road.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 10, 2021 at 10:46 pm Reason: Edit quote
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Ah yes, anything you don't understand, care to research or believe is misinformation. Of course. BTW, I wasn't the one that started down this road.
yes, you did with whining about “covid paranoia” in Canada.

I had written a reply… but I’m not engaging with another covid denying spreader of misinformation.

Ill let the mods deal with it.

Last edited by mlbcard; Oct 10, 2021 at 7:48 am
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Perhaps next time OP would find it even more convenient to remain in the US. That way they would avoid the paranoia altogether.

Ascribing profit motives to the Canadian health care system is particularly interesting.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:32 am

Don’t like the rules don’t come to Canada …
Larrude, estnet, boycruz and 27 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
Like it or not, covid protocols are going to be with us for a while. Part of the deal when you travel to another country is abiding by that country's laws and customs. that has always been true, but now there is another layer to it. If you don't accept that, you should probably not travel outside of the US.

You are also very likely to find Canada as one of the less egregious examples of health requirements outside of the US at the current time. I just got back from a trip to Peru, where double masks are required in most indoor areas, and for some methods of transportation double masks and a face shield are required. Did I think that was completely crazy and unnecessary? Yes. But I did what I was told, wore my double masks and had a great time in Peru. Similarly in Dubai where you have to take a PCR test on arrival, and be masked everywhere in public indoors and outdoors. They didn't ask me if I was taking Ivermectin, but I would bet a lot of money that it wouldn't have made a difference.

The prospect of being stranded overseas in quarantine is a very real concern. As a matter of practical advice for US based travelers worried about this risk, I have used and would recommend:
  1. Purchasing insurance. Google covid insurance and you will find tons of policies which cover trip cancellation costs, medical costs and quarantine costs, all specific to covid
  2. Getting some at home tests and carrying them in your luggage. I've used emed which sells CDC approved tests for about $150 for 6
  3. Taking advantage of the CDC deadline of 3 days rather than 72 hours. For example in my case, my flight was 6pm Saturday, but I tested on 8am Wednesday. Basically test as soon as you are eligible
  4. Taking a rapid test the day of departure before you leave the US. If you are or may be positive, better to know about it before you leave
Finally, OP's advice to drive across the border is great for a US citizen or green card holder. But for anybody else the land border isn't open at this time (with limited exceptions)
seawolf, mlbcard, SJOGuy and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:41 am

More appropriately, if you are coming to Canada, know what you are getting into, and if unprepared, go elsewhere.

I had more than one person lose it on me last week because the rather small northern town I was working in did not have FedEx services (so they could not send in their home test before arriving in Alaska), or because the community did not provide covid-test-for-travel services. And another actually called me a sheep for refusing to sell him the ivermectin for horses.

Things be done differently from home. I prefer it that way frankly.
Larrude, estnet, uanj and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:45 am

To the OP, feel free not to visit. The locals here are generally happy with the rules in place, especially where it pertains to transient tourist types.

When I travel, I follow the local rules, and do not whine about them, after all travel is a choice.
Larrude, seawolf, estnet and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:53 am

Don’t like it, don’t travel. Simple as that.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: ba silver
I hope you had a good time visiting our country. Looking forward to visiting your amazing country soon.

But let's do the math:

Colorado, with almost six million people, few restrictions, no mask mandate 2000 average daily cases.

Quebec, eight million people, some of the strictest protocols in North America, 535 average daily cases.

Let's take it further, the UAE, with over nine million people, and some of the strictest protocols ( masks outdoors and the requirement to have a tracking app on your smartphone) have an average of 160 daily cases ( following closely as I am going in December).

So I am glad our government is imposing these restrictions for the greater good. I actually feel they don't go far enough.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold
I had to go to Plattsburgh NY and Montreal last week for company meetings and originally booked AC's YUL-DEN nonstop for my 10/7 return. Since my DEN-BTV was early Sunday morning 10/3, I got my PCR test in Denver on Saturday PM 10/2. That gave me until Tuesday afternoon 10/5 to drive across the border. But, since my Thursday 10/7 return was more than 72 hours after my Denver test, I booked a rapid test for Wednesday AM 10/6 in Montreal. so I could meet the US return-by-air test requirement.

It wasn't until I filled out the over the top personally invasive ArriveCAN app and then had spent a day there to understand how completely the insanity of Covid paranoia has taken over. Masks everywhere and masks required to enter any office building. We had a company dinner Wednesday evening where we were required every attendee to show proof of vaccine to enter, and the resto had, in advance, told us "no standing and mingling with drinks" prior to dinner, even though it was never enforced during our hour long pre-dinner standing and mingling party. LOL. Nevertheless, that warning was enough to tell me that there was no way I going to take a test here and run the risk of getting a false positive... and forced to decide between running for the border or quarantine for 14 days.

So I cancelled my AC flight, changed my BTV-YUL Avis rental to local BTV-BTV rental and rebooked my flights home from BTV. I drove the two hours to BTV early on 10/7 crossing the border into the US without having to take another Covid test.

Unless you are going for a short visit where your US Covid test result will be valid for your return flight, you may want to think about your return options and the consequences of getting

a positive test there prior to returning.
if one does not like the requirements then one should stay home. There is no profit motive just a public Heath motive.

One should read Inside the Red Zone by Richard Preston to get an understanding of how outbreaks of disease should be handled and how those only interested in themselves messed this all up.
Larrude, estnet, mlbcard and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Perhaps next time OP would find it even more convenient to remain in the US.
Originally Posted by Pilotbg
Don’t like the rules don’t come to Canada …
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
More appropriately, if you are coming to Canada, know what you are getting into, and if unprepared, go elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
To the OP, feel free not to visit. The locals here are generally happy with the rules in place, especially where it pertains to transient tourist types.
Thanks for all the witty replies. Apparently reading comprehension is lacking here this morning.

I had to go to... Montreal last week for company meetings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.