Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
@bcnfish — what a dreadful experience. I was concerned about this very thing. I did my test the day before flying. I wanted to be able to print my result.

Due to return itinerary and concerns about possible delays, I did another one a few hrs before flying. The result came after I landed in Buffalo. I had the PDF on my mobile in case. As it turned out, I got to the border 2 hrs before my first test would have expired.

A waste of resources but I didn’t want to take a chance. Fortunately, tests were free (California).
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Nexus, VIA Rail Premier
Set to travel to BUF on Friday and return home to YYZ. I’ve had no luck finding a one way car rental. It seems impossible with every booking engine to return a vehicle anywhere other than BUF.

I’ve been away for months so I’m returning with around 3 heavy suitcases worth of stuff. I’d prefer not to do a foot crossing, as the amount of things I have will be simply unmanageable.

So I have booked a rental at BUF to return to the same location. My partner on the Canadian side will drive to Niagara and help shuttle me back home. My long winded plan is to drive the rental over, transfer my things to her car in Niagara, return the rental to BUF, Uber back to the border, and re cross on foot to rejoin her. I’m a dual citizen with Nexus so this should work in theory but I’m wondering if there are any easier ways about this.

I looked into car services, but the ones I spoke to wanted anywhere from $300 to $500 to transport me into Toronto. Before I go through with all this hoop jumping, I’d like to be sure that I’ve explored all the alternatives.

Are there any local car services/regular taxis in the Buffalo area that can simply drop me in Niagara Falls Ontario for a less exorbitant rate?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience with the fees for one way drop off in COVID times? I had a friend tell me he paid $250 to do a drop off at YUL from the NYC area. Is there any correlation to distance, so I could maybe return the car at YYZ or in Niagara Falls, ON?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I wonder what would happen if you are just Canadian and have no US Status. The land border b/w the US and Canada is currently closed, so if the CBSA told you this and you had no right to enter the US due to the Land Border Closure. Would USCBP give you a document saying that you are refused entry and then return you to the CBSA who would have no choice to fine you? I find this a bit unfortunate just because the US Border is closed and you end up with a 3'800CAD fine.
I am just Canadian. Told USCBP that we were just turned back from Canada because of an expired test and they let us in no questions asked. Was about a 20 second interaction.
OSSYULYYZ and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyztodtw
Set to travel to BUF on Friday and return home to YYZ. I’ve had no luck finding a one way car rental. It seems impossible with every booking engine to return a vehicle anywhere other than BUF.

I’ve been away for months so I’m returning with around 3 heavy suitcases worth of stuff. I’d prefer not to do a foot crossing, as the amount of things I have will be simply unmanageable.

So I have booked a rental at BUF to return to the same location. My partner on the Canadian side will drive to Niagara and help shuttle me back home. My long winded plan is to drive the rental over, transfer my things to her car in Niagara, return the rental to BUF, Uber back to the border, and re cross on foot to rejoin her. I’m a dual citizen with Nexus so this should work in theory but I’m wondering if there are any easier ways about this.

I looked into car services, but the ones I spoke to wanted anywhere from $300 to $500 to transport me into Toronto. Before I go through with all this hoop jumping, I’d like to be sure that I’ve explored all the alternatives.

Are there any local car services/regular taxis in the Buffalo area that can simply drop me in Niagara Falls Ontario for a less exorbitant rate?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience with the fees for one way drop off in COVID times? I had a friend tell me he paid $250 to do a drop off at YUL from the NYC area. Is there any correlation to distance, so I could maybe return the car at YYZ or in Niagara Falls, ON?
Why not just get a taxi from BUF to Niagara Falls Canada, then meet your partner there? You're likely to pay $200 or so. CanAm Limo and others are offering that service.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by yyztodtw

Limo-van or Uber minivan not work?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: Accor, Diamond
Originally Posted by bcnfish
I am just Canadian. Told USCBP that we were just turned back from Canada because of an expired test and they let us in no questions asked. Was about a 20 second interaction.
The same happened to us in Detroit. We were let back in the US.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:03 am

I thought I saw a taxi quote for about $40 to the border from BUF. If you do this, I’d try to book ahead. It would be awful to be stranded with heavy bags and no taxi.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Does anyone have experience, as a Canadian citizen living in the US, "visiting" Canada for a short trip in the current border closure regime? Let's say I drive up over a weekend, stay at the home of my family (who have a large house with many rooms & enough space to isolate) and work from there for a few days before driving back to the US. Rules on this are a bit confusing, as "quarantining with others in the same household" seems to be allowed with the limitation that you "limit interactions" with others, though separately the rules say things like "while in quarantine (...) do not have any visits from family or guests".

How viable would the above scenario be? I assume CBSA would ask for the purpose of the trip and "visiting family" wouldn't exactly sound acceptable (given my last entry to Canada was pre-Covid I can't argue I'm "returning home" or anything). But at the same time, as a Canadian passport holder and having fulfilled other requirements (PCR test, etc.) can they really deny me entry?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by asdf098
Does anyone have experience, as a Canadian citizen living in the US, "visiting" Canada for a short trip in the current border closure regime? Let's say I drive up over a weekend, stay at the home of my family (who have a large house with many rooms & enough space to isolate) and work from there for a few days before driving back to the US. Rules on this are a bit confusing, as "quarantining with others in the same household" seems to be allowed with the limitation that you "limit interactions" with others, though separately the rules say things like "while in quarantine (...) do not have any visits from family or guests".

How viable would the above scenario be? I assume CBSA would ask for the purpose of the trip and "visiting family" wouldn't exactly sound acceptable (given my last entry to Canada was pre-Covid I can't argue I'm "returning home" or anything). But at the same time, as a Canadian passport holder and having fulfilled other requirements (PCR test, etc.) can they really deny me entry?
I have done this every month since covid started. As long as you are staying with no one over 65 or vulnerable persons or group/nursing home and have a separate bedroom/bathroom you are ok. You need a negative covid test from USA within 72 hours (more and they will turn you back to USA) and again at land border. You can leave Canada anytime during the 14 days by air or car. You cannot leave the property during your stay except to exit Canada and must drive directly to place of quarantine and then directly to the USA. If you need gas you do it at the pump. If you need food you do drive thru. If you are staying less than 8 days they will not give you the second test. You will get calls and emails and maybe a visit for the 14 days but just tell them you left Canada and they will leave you alone. I even get calls and visits from days 15-21 as I never do the 8-day test. If they give you a hard time just book a dummy hotel on the spot then cancel it. If everything is in order you shouldn’t have to go into secondary. Once I drove up just for the day and my car was my place of quarantine as I was not there overnight. They weren’t happy about it but they couldn’t deny me. They looked up all my visits during covid every single month and saw that I always exited within a few days. Check your phone texts and emails to make sure there is nothing incriminating on there re social plans in Canada. They always check my phone in airplane mode to see if I have any plans but I delete everything ahead of time. They sometimes go through all my stuff and count how many pairs of underwear I brought to match up with the number of days I say I am staying. CBSA will interview you then PHAC will also interview you and they compare notes for consistency. Due to privacy laws PHAC cannot access the CBSA database to see your travel history but CBSA checks it for them. If I go with my (Canadian) spouse they split us up and ask questions re our plans then compare notes. So prepare for every scenario. Most of the time it is smooth sailing but if you get the wrong person be extremely well prepared and delete everything on your phone. All of the above is kind of sad as a double vaccinated Cdn citizen and Nexus holder with zero violations but all of it is true and hopefully this will all be behind us later this summer. I hope all of my experience is helpful. Safe travels.
jackmaninov likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 9, 2021 at 6:56 pm
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I have done this every month since covid started. As long as you are staying with no one over 65 or vulnerable persons or group/nursing home and have a separate bedroom/bathroom you are ok. You need a negative covid test from USA within 72 hours (more and they will turn you back to USA) and again at land border. You can leave Canada anytime during the 14 days by air or car. You cannot leave the property during your stay except to exit Canada and must drive directly to place of quarantine and then directly to the USA. If you need gas you do it at the pump. If you need food you do drive thru. If you are staying less than 8 days they will not give you the second test. You will get calls and emails and maybe a visit for the 14 days but just tell them you left Canada and they will leave you alone. I even get calls and visits from days 15-21 as I never do the 8-day test. If they give you a hard time just book a dummy hotel on the spot then cancel it. If everything is in order you shouldn’t have to go into secondary. Once I drove up just for the day and my car was my place of quarantine as I was not there overnight. They weren’t happy about it but they couldn’t deny me. They looked up all my visits during covid every single month and saw that I always exited within a few days. Check your phone texts and emails to make sure there is nothing incriminating on there re social plans in Canada. They always check my phone in airplane mode to see if I have any plans but I delete everything ahead of time. They sometimes go through all my stuff and count how many pairs of underwear I brought to match up with the number of days I say I am staying. CBSA will interview you then PHAC will also interview you and they compare notes for consistency. Due to privacy laws PHAC cannot access the CBSA database to see your travel history but CBSA checks it for them. If I go with my (Canadian) spouse they split us up and ask questions re our plans then compare notes. So prepare for every scenario. Most of the time it is smooth sailing but if you get the wrong person be extremely well prepared and delete everything on your phone. All of the above is kind of sad as a double vaccinated Cdn citizen and Nexus holder with zero violations but all of it is true and hopefully this will all be behind us later this summer. I hope all of my experience is helpful. Safe travels.
Wow, that sounds worse than any border experience I've ever had! Extremely helpful comment, thank you. I'm double-vaxed too and can't wait for the July relaxation of rules...

Curious how did you describe the reason for your trip? Did you characterize it as "visiting" people in Canada? Or something more generic? Curious as to best way to frame the purpose of travel if that question is asked.
LETTERBOY and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by asdf098
Wow, that sounds worse than any border experience I've ever had! Extremely helpful comment, thank you. I'm double-vaxed too and can't wait for the July relaxation of rules...

Curious how did you describe the reason for your trip? Did you characterize it as "visiting" people in Canada? Or something more generic? Curious as to best way to frame the purpose of travel if that question is asked.
I say that I am going to buy medicine that is 10x more expensive in USA. Works every time. I’ve always wanted to say that I have a huge Harvey’s craving (drive thru of course) since I moved to USA but I’ve never had the guts to say it.
LETTERBOY, asdf098 and jackmaninov like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 9, 2021 at 7:39 pm
Old Jun 10, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
What a waste of resources ! They really have nothing better to do ? Instead of harassing fully vaccinated travelers coming from the US maybe they can do some rapid testing on the thousands of exempted travelers, or even between provinces ?
asdf098 likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 10, 2021 at 6:37 am Reason: Off topic
Old Jun 11, 2021, 1:58 pm

I flew into Buffalo this morning. Lineup for the covid test was 40-60 minutes so they told me to just do it at home online within 24 hours. Never had this option before.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 5:40 pm

I flew into Buffalo this morning. Lineup for the covid test was 40-60 minutes so they told me to just do it at home online within 24 hours. Never had this option before.

Which bridge was this at? I believe someone up thread talked about longer waits. As far as I know, it’s always been an option. Most seem to prefer to do it there because getting thru to Switch Health is/was problematic.

Do you think there are fewer staff at the Red X tent or higher volume crossing? Or, both?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Which bridge was this at? I believe someone up thread talked about longer waits. As far as I know, it’s always been an option. Most seem to prefer to do it there because getting thru to Switch Health is/was problematic.

Do you think there are fewer staff at the Red X tent or higher volume crossing? Or, both?
Queenston/Lewiston. First time I have seen a lineup there for covid test. I will likely just skip it. Not sure what the fine will be.
jackmaninov likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.