Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Official changes starting Feb 28th:

Tests with online supervision will be accepted.
Eligible travellers leaving Canada and returning within 72 hours won't need to provide a test.
OK, that would be very useful as ferries have been excluded up till now

Is the test that Air Canada is promoting allowed for the test - don't recall if it's supervised or not.

Overall very good, though not great news
Old Feb 13, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by EmailKid
OK, that would be very useful as ferries have been excluded up till now

Is the test that Air Canada is promoting allowed for the test - don't recall if it's supervised or not.

Overall very good, though not great news
Yeah. The Switch Health rapid test is supervised so that would be accepted.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Am I to understand that the paid anti gen test that is conducted by a foreign organization would be accepted so long as that organization is accepted by their national authority? Also is it 72 hours before your first flight to Canada?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Am I to understand that the paid anti gen test that is conducted by a foreign organization would be accepted so long as that organization is accepted by their national authority? Also is it 72 hours before your first flight to Canada?
Yes, that test would be accepted if it's lab accredited. Rapid antigen test is 24 hours before your flight.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Also is it 72 hours before your first flight to Canada?
Its always been 72 hours before your last flight to Canada (unlike some countries which have 72hrs from first point of embarkation)

If the new rule is 24 hours before last flight to Canada, it could create issues for long journeys.

Hopefully they get rid of the dumb rule that only US-issued tests can be used at the land border too.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Fully vaccinated children under 12 won't need to avoid high-risk settings anymore (school, camp, etc.)
Wait, it was not already the case ??? If you are fully vaccinated you should not have to quarantine (except if you wait for a test results and have been outside Canada /US), on which base fully vaccinated kids did have to avoid school / daycare ?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Wait, it was not already the case ??? If you are fully vaccinated you should not have to quarantine (except if you wait for a test results and have been outside Canada /US), on which base fully vaccinated kids did have to avoid school / daycare ?
maybe this is for not fully vaccinated children traveling with fully vaccinated parents?

That has been pretty much keeping us from coming (we have a 3yo, who obviously can’t be vaxed yet). I actually get the not going to school/camp thing. But not being able to take public transportation (now), but being able to come to grocery store with us makes less than zero sense, IMO. Our kids just want to see grandpa, which the 3yo can’t do either per the current rules.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its always been 72 hours before your last flight to Canada (unlike some countries which have 72hrs from first point of embarkation)

If the new rule is 24 hours before last flight to Canada, it could create issues for long journeys.

Hopefully they get rid of the dumb rule that only US-issued tests can be used at the land border too.
I have a 10 hour transfer in DOH and then another 14 hour flight. My initial flight to DOH is at least 4 hours. So it is definitely going to take me more than 24 hours from my initial flight as I fly on the weekend and the test cannot be done. I hope they would accept the PCR test before 72 hours at least or is it only the anti gen test within the 24 hours before the last flight? How do people who have airside transfers get their test done in this case?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have a 10 hour transfer in DOH and then another 14 hour flight. My initial flight to DOH is at least 4 hours. So it is definitely going to take me more than 24 hours from my initial flight as I fly on the weekend and the test cannot be done. I hope they would accept the PCR test before 72 hours at least or is it only the anti gen test within the 24 hours before the last flight? How do people who have airside transfers get their test done in this case?
I’m not sure when your flight is, but the antigen test within 24 hours doesn’t come into effect until 1 March earliest.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’m not sure when your flight is, but the antigen test within 24 hours doesn’t come into effect until 1 March earliest.
My flight is the first week of March.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting scenario, which I can’t find covered in the rules.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Interesting scenario, which I can’t find covered in the rules.
There are no official rules for this scenario, yet, but if they copy the US rules which is a somewhat reasonable assumption, OP would be fine to take the test within 24 hours of his first flight, assuming this is all booked on the same itinerary.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
There are no official rules for this scenario, yet, but if they copy the US rules which is a somewhat reasonable assumption, OP would be fine to take the test within 24 hours of his first flight, assuming this is all booked on the same itinerary.
I am booked all on the same Booking. I only do a transfer in DOH, which is a long one of around 10 hours or so. if it is my last flight to Canada, then I may be in trouble. Add the 10 hours transfer time, 5 hours to DOH, and then check in is at least 2 hours before departure.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:39 am

The current 72 hour PCR rules might still be accepted along with a new 24 hour antigen option.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver ITA Premium
I am booked all on the same Booking. I only do a transfer in DOH, which is a long one of around 10 hours or so. if it is my last flight to Canada, then I may be in trouble. Add the 10 hours transfer time, 5 hours to DOH, and then check in is at least 2 hours before departure.
You could take an online antigen test with eg Klarity in DOH. They work from 8 - 20 European time, also during weekends. Costs are eur 10 or 20 don't know exactly. Results with certificate back within 30 minutes. Used this for a recent trip to US and very happy to be able to use this for a trip to Canada in March!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.