Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:40 pm
ALW

And another question, how strict is ArriveCAN for details of land entries? I assume if it's a different day you need to submit a new plan, but what if you change from Lansdown (Ivy Lea) to Prescott (Ogdensburg), or Buffalo to Niagara Falls?

Website says if your travel plans change, submit a new plan, but it could be pretty short notice (e.g. Google Maps might say to change crossings at the last possible moment). And they're asking exact time even for a land crossing. Does anyone have experience being off by an hour (or 2), or changing entry point, and not updating the plan?

Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ALW
And another question, how strict is ArriveCAN for details of land entries? I assume if it's a different day you need to submit a new plan, but what if you change from Lansdown (Ivy Lea) to Prescott (Ogdensburg), or Buffalo to Niagara Falls?
Others have said this has not been a problem. You shouldn’t need to submit a new plan.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by ALW

Website says if your travel plans change, submit a new plan, but it could be pretty short notice (e.g. Google Maps might say to change crossings at the last possible moment). And they're asking exact time even for a land crossing. Does anyone have experience being off by an hour (or 2), or changing entry point, and not updating the plan?

Thanks.
I have driven back and forth monthly since covid started often changing my travel plans to arrive at a different border crossing on a different day even with fewer people in the car than planned. To date no one has said anything. They are mainly checking your vaccine status regardless of where and when you cross.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:50 pm
ALW

Thank you both
Old Mar 5, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by ALW
Trying to help some friends plan their trip home... It looks to me like there's still some benefit to doing a molecular test (vs antigen), especially if driving. Specifically, the result being valid for 72 hours instead of 1 day (more than 24 hours if timed right, but not more than 48 hours).

Is there a reason not to do the molecular test, if they have access to a Walgreens testing appointment? They can drive home in 2 very long days (1 night), so in this scenario would test at Walgreens on Monday, hit the road on Tuesday morning about 7am, and be at the border Wednesday night. If they do an antigen test on Tuesday before leaving, they might not be able to get to the border by Wednesday night. Doing an antigen test on Wednesday morning also takes away driving time, though at least that test would still be valid on Thursday (but they don't want to spend 2 nights in hotels).

Also, is there any reason anyone goes to Walgreens and does a free PCR test instead of a free ID NOW test? From what I've read, both are acceptable at the Canadian border, but one has "results usually within 72 hours" and the other is "results usually within 24 hours". e.g. is one more intrusive, or less reliable, or something?

Thanks.
I always do the ID NOW test. It is a NAAT test and it gives you 72 hours. And you usually get your results in 2-3 hours back by email. (they say 24 hours but its always been 2-3 hrs)
seawolf and ALW like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:03 am

We'll be in this exact situation next month. I plan on a Walgreens PCR test the afternoon before we leave and then an Antigen test on the way. Walgreens is preferable to CVS as they notify you by email. CVS is by text. Its my experience that the CVS texts to Canadian phones don't go thru.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:10 pm
ALW

I assume you mean Walgreens ID NOW, or is your most convenient Walgreens PCR only? I found a few of those when I was researching. My problem with recommending the PCR is the "up to 72 hours" for results", which could also become more. But maybe in practise it's not. If my friends get a negative result on the ID NOW, I don't see any benefit to trying to source an antigen test on the road, both effort and time. But maybe there's a reason to do it with a negative molecular test?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Just came in thru YYZ.. Very quick. After filling in the form in the kiosk and took the receipt to the Border services, they had a look and asked what I have got and when I gave the answer, just said thank you and on my way.
On AC, they did ask for passengers with connecting flights to disembark first and they did check the onward boarding card on board as you deplane.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:16 am
ALW

Did a tentative arrival doc for them (since it's easy to re-submit) and was surprised by 2 things.

1. No way to upload the test result. I was expecting an option to upload, like for the proof of vaccination. Obviously they can print (if they get result in time) or show on phone, just surprised.

2. It said to make sure they had copies of test result and proof of vaccination, and keep for 14 days after arrival. In this case, surprised about the vaccination proof, since it's embedded in their traveller profile with ArriveCAN.

Also confused (but not seriously concerned) about one question in the quarantine part, it asks if anyone at risk will be there, including 65+, immunocompromised, etc. Does that officially include the person travelling, or just others (travellers are >65)? I could rationalize either yes or no, the absolute answer is "yes someone 65+ will be there" (the other traveller), but logically they're asking if "grandma" lives with them (in which case no).

Last edited by ALW; Mar 7, 2022 at 9:21 am
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Similar experience at YVR yesterday. Two CBSA agents at what looked like makeshift desks, where are you coming from, why did you go, how much did you bring. A family of 4 (American or Canadian) in front of us was being grilled about their arrivecan. The dad had done it online and didn't have the code. No one asked about ours. I had completed ours upon landing - completely forgot lol - a minute before we scanned our passports at the kiosk.

There were three ladies in lab garb, I asked them if there is still testing. Apparently they are there for unvaccinated travelers only. I wish I had also asked how many people they test.

I kept my mask underneath my chin the entire time while at airports (YEG, YVR and SNA), except when interacting with people in official or airline capacity. No one said a thing. At security they asked my 8-year old to put his on. Whatever. Down it went once we cleared.

This patchwork of federal, provincial and municipal masking requirements is ridiculous.

Btw, some of the things arrivecan told us (quarantine related, esp with regard to kids) was clearly no longer in line with the rules. Not sure if I had an old version of the app, or just government competence on display. Or me making a wrong selection at some point.

Showing our month-old positive results was quick and easy, I suspect with Omicron check-in agents see it a lot more often than last year.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Similar experience at YVR yesterday. Two CBSA agents at what looked like makeshift desks, where are you coming from, why did you go, how much did you bring. A family of 4 (American or Canadian) in front of us was being grilled about their arrivecan. The dad had done it online and didn't have the code. No one asked about ours. I had completed ours upon landing - completely forgot lol - a minute before we scanned our passports at the kiosk.

There were three ladies in lab garb, I asked them if there is still testing. Apparently they are there for unvaccinated travelers only. I wish I had also asked how many people they test.

I kept my mask underneath my chin the entire time while at airports (YEG, YVR and SNA), except when interacting with people in official or airline capacity. No one said a thing. At security they asked my 8-year old to put his on. Whatever. Down it went once we cleared.

This patchwork of federal, provincial and municipal masking requirements is ridiculous.

Btw, some of the things arrivecan told us (quarantine related, esp with regard to kids) was clearly no longer in line with the rules. Not sure if I had an old version of the app, or just government competence on display. Or me making a wrong selection at some point.

Showing our month-old positive results was quick and easy, I suspect with Omicron check-in agents see it a lot more often than last year.
You are right. They did not ask for my arrivecan receipt on arrival though at the departure end they did ask me to show it. Just my passport and did a scan on it and on my way to baggage.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Davvidd
You are right. They did not ask for my arrivecan receipt on arrival though at the departure end they did ask me to show it. Just my passport and did a scan on it and on my way to baggage.
FYI ArriveCAN comes up automatically to CBSA if traveler documents used to register in ArriveCAN is same document used for travel.
ALW and Davvidd like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Just to be sure. The 72 hours for PCR/NaaT test are calculated from the arrival in Canada? Or from the departure time of the flight to Canada?
I am about to fly to Toronto in April and just found out that the logic is different than the test requirements for USA.

also how often are CBP select somebody for the arrival test?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:21 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by casey89
Just to be sure. The 72 hours for PCR/NaaT test are calculated from the arrival in Canada? Or from the departure time of the flight to Canada?
I am about to fly to Toronto in April and just found out that the logic is different than the test requirements for USA.

also how often are CBP select somebody for the arrival test?
Within 72 hours of your scheduled time of departure.

No one really knows how often people are randomly selected, but it appears to be quite infrequent.
casey89 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Within 72 hours of your scheduled time of departure.

No one really knows how often people are randomly selected, but it appears to be quite infrequent.
Isn't it the last direct flight to Canada and if so someone is transiting thru another airport that does not count?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.