Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Very frustrating and glad I've moved to the UK.
Public opinion towards restrictions is changing slowly so we'll get there but it'll take time. Sadly.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:15 pm
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
All

Apologies if this is a repeat question but I'm looking for an up to date point of view.

I'm planning to fly from the UK to YVR with my daughter to go skiing in two weeks' time. I'm fully vaccinated, have a recovery certificate for a positve test less than 180 days ago. My daughter is 8 and unvaccinated.

Does anyone have an up to date view of the current arrival testing regime at YVR? If we are given home collection kits, from what I've read, it would mean we would have to quarantine for so long until we get the results it would render the trip impossible.

Many thanks
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by awm
All

Apologies if this is a repeat question but I'm looking for an up to date point of view.

I'm planning to fly from the UK to YVR with my daughter to go skiing in two weeks' time. I'm fully vaccinated, have a recovery certificate for a positve test less than 180 days ago. My daughter is 8 and unvaccinated.

Does anyone have an up to date view of the current arrival testing regime at YVR? If we are given home collection kits, from what I've read, it would mean we would have to quarantine for so long until we get the results it would render the trip impossible.

Many thanks
Can't answer re the testing turnaround at YVR. But, if you follow the rules strictly, a ski trip with your daughter would not be feasible. The rules for unvaccinated children state they must:
"not attend large or crowded settings, indoors or outdoors, such as an amusement park or sporting event" for 14 days after arrival.
But is anyone going to check up on you? Unlikely.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Can't answer re the testing turnaround at YVR. But, if you follow the rules strictly, a ski trip with your daughter would not be feasible. The rules for unvaccinated children state they must:
"not attend large or crowded settings, indoors or outdoors, such as an amusement park or sporting event" for 14 days after arrival.
But is anyone going to check up on you? Unlikely.
Doubtful someone will checkup during your trip but you are going to be cross examined about your plans upon arrival. And if you are a visitor and not a Cdn citizen you have fewer rights.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Taking the freshly-omicron-recovered (non-boostered adults had the mildest cold ever, unvaxxed kiddos had half a day of symptoms) fam to Disney for a 4-day weekend (teachers have a "convention") in March.

Junior ain't missing 14 days of school, and that's all there is to it. They can stuff it; I am not following their idiotic rules. It helps that his teacher is an ornery older Eastern European lady. She actually encourages the kids take off their masks in class. Love the woman!
mhodge, leoo, YYCCL3 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:48 am

Another data point from YYZ this time, 46 hours for PCR turnaround as a transfer pax
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:50 am

YUL data points. I have had three friends land at YUL in the last week, all reported every passenger was tested, results came in 14- 30 hours. Arriving with AC from PVR.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:29 am
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Doubtful someone will checkup during your trip but you are going to be cross examined about your plans upon arrival. And if you are a visitor and not a Cdn citizen you have fewer rights.
Thanks for the replies, all. Looks like the sensible option is to cancel the trip.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I've heard some people at YYZ were directed to the Sheraton to get tested and the government is looking into expanding testing capacity outside airports to reduce congestion there... So not looking good.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
I've heard some people at YYZ were directed to the Sheraton to get tested and the government is looking into expanding testing capacity outside airports to reduce congestion there... So not looking good.

It seems to be going from random, even though it was supposed to be everyone, to literally everyone. Definitely does not look like this is ending anytime soon.

I may never leave Mexico.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hi folks,

I just returned from Oahu recently and thought I'd provide my thoughts and experiences. Happy to answer any questions.
  • We used AC/Switch Health's home Antigen test prior to the trip (24h/1d) with no issues -- printed the materials and uploaded vaccine/test results to AC's website.
  • Spent 15 days in Oahu -- managed to actually buy a few RATs while we were there since AB still has basically none anywhere for any price ($20/kit). We used some partway through the trip just to make sure we were ok (feel great, no issues -- much much lower case count in HI -- everyone outdoors, mask mandates, restaurants all checking temp and cards)
  • Did our AC/Switch RT-LAMP tests 3d before our trip home. Results were negative, but for some reason after log into Switch Health's portal, it was always a blank screen on any browser/device. I had to call their support line who immediately fixed it -- related to a weird corporate code on my account. Uploaded everything to ArriveCAN app, and also had the hotel print out our PCR test results
  • On remote check-in, AC didn't need anything else. But arriving at HNL, the AC check-in agent did check our physical copies of the AB Vaccine records along with the PCR tests results (This was the ONLY time, more later)
  • We arrived at YVR (to connect to YYC after a 2h layover). We followed the horde from jetway all the way through to a new Customs area. Looks like a bunch of new machines for NEXUS (tap your card, scanned your passport, answered questions, etc. -- neat thing is that you can do it for everyone in your group who has Nexus like spouse, etc.)
  • We took our receipt and went to a CBSA agent, also told him that we were well over our claim limit (claiming roughly 3k between the two of us). He was fine with it, sent us to the cashier
  • The cashier we got sent to, was effectively 2km away (I jest but we had to walk half way back, and down two levels). At the hour were there (6am PST), the cashier was closed with a sign that just said go to the exit
  • At the exit, the CBSA agents directed us to Secondary (where they normally do your body cavity search, etc -- see Border Security Canada shows). One lonely guy there who read our receipt, asked what we bought, ran the calculations (~50 CDN) and said that he was going to let us go without paying because of being honest (I never lie about stuff like this, not worth the price and losing NEXUS).
  • We walked out of the area (Customs + Baggage) and into the main check-in area for domestic flights -- got into security line and back into the the domestic terminal for YYC connection

Notice what's missing above? Hint, the 1st CBSA agent sent us to pay our duties/fees -- would have sent us to one of two lines for PCR testing randomly. That didn't happen. On our way to the cashier (2km trek) we did pass the crazy line ups, tents, terminals setup for testing, etc.

While we were prepared to get randomly selected for testing -- never happened. I suppose that is technically a loophole or just dumb luck or even something they didn't consider in how they re-arranged US arrivals with the COVID testing. I don't know. I prefer to just look at it as karma. We were honest, did our due diligence, and someone smiled at us from above

Anyhow, happy to answer any questions. But be nice - I know everyone is generally upset about Canada's odd rules about arrival testing and such but don't blame me or argue I should be locked up.
Bogwoppit, nnn and 24left like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cerberus
Hi folks,

I just returned from Oahu recently and thought I'd provide my thoughts and experiences. Happy to answer any questions.
  • We used AC/Switch Health's home Antigen test prior to the trip (24h/1d) with no issues -- printed the materials and uploaded vaccine/test results to AC's website.
  • Spent 15 days in Oahu -- managed to actually buy a few RATs while we were there since AB still has basically none anywhere for any price ($20/kit). We used some partway through the trip just to make sure we were ok (feel great, no issues -- much much lower case count in HI -- everyone outdoors, mask mandates, restaurants all checking temp and cards)
  • Did our AC/Switch RT-LAMP tests 3d before our trip home. Results were negative, but for some reason after log into Switch Health's portal, it was always a blank screen on any browser/device. I had to call their support line who immediately fixed it -- related to a weird corporate code on my account. Uploaded everything to ArriveCAN app, and also had the hotel print out our PCR test results
  • On remote check-in, AC didn't need anything else. But arriving at HNL, the AC check-in agent did check our physical copies of the AB Vaccine records along with the PCR tests results (This was the ONLY time, more later)
  • We arrived at YVR (to connect to YYC after a 2h layover). We followed the horde from jetway all the way through to a new Customs area. Looks like a bunch of new machines for NEXUS (tap your card, scanned your passport, answered questions, etc. -- neat thing is that you can do it for everyone in your group who has Nexus like spouse, etc.)
  • We took our receipt and went to a CBSA agent, also told him that we were well over our claim limit (claiming roughly 3k between the two of us). He was fine with it, sent us to the cashier
  • The cashier we got sent to, was effectively 2km away (I jest but we had to walk half way back, and down two levels). At the hour were there (6am PST), the cashier was closed with a sign that just said go to the exit
  • At the exit, the CBSA agents directed us to Secondary (where they normally do your body cavity search, etc -- see Border Security Canada shows). One lonely guy there who read our receipt, asked what we bought, ran the calculations (~50 CDN) and said that he was going to let us go without paying because of being honest (I never lie about stuff like this, not worth the price and losing NEXUS).
  • We walked out of the area (Customs + Baggage) and into the main check-in area for domestic flights -- got into security line and back into the the domestic terminal for YYC connection

Notice what's missing above? Hint, the 1st CBSA agent sent us to pay our duties/fees -- would have sent us to one of two lines for PCR testing randomly. That didn't happen. On our way to the cashier (2km trek) we did pass the crazy line ups, tents, terminals setup for testing, etc.

While we were prepared to get randomly selected for testing -- never happened. I suppose that is technically a loophole or just dumb luck or even something they didn't consider in how they re-arranged US arrivals with the COVID testing. I don't know. I prefer to just look at it as karma. We were honest, did our due diligence, and someone smiled at us from above

Anyhow, happy to answer any questions. But be nice - I know everyone is generally upset about Canada's odd rules about arrival testing and such but don't blame me or argue I should be locked up.
I would call that a side benefit for your honesty. Now should I get shopping, hmmmmm.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Heh -- yeah you could look at it that way. But a healthy chunk of that 3k was an anniversary present I bought my wife while on the island -- so there's that 'damage'

Funny thing, when we were waiting in-line to see the first CBSA agent, the person in front of us got sent to Secondary because she had stayed in Oahu (same flight) for over a month and declared 'two books'. I guess he didn't quite believe her!
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Arrived 9 pm YYZ T1 from LAX and was sent for random testing... there were more random tests than I would have expected. I guess a lot of testers would have been otherwise idle.

Had already registered with switch health due to pre-departure testing so overall process was quick - maybe 15 mins. Bilateral anterior nasal swab easy and results back in 36h. Didn't care so much as there was no need to quarantine while awaiting results but a waste of taxpayer money and lab capacity for no good reason.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
CUN-YYC. Arrive and get ‘randomly selected’. Third time in three. Proceed through baggage and CBSA exit. Find the testing folks ar the end of the line. Tell them, politely, to p*ss off. Proceed to parking lot. Arrive home. Bottom line: don’t play their COVID Theatre. In case anyone is wondering, I’m triple vaxxed
nnn, mhodge, leoo and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.