Reload this Page >

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
If someone leaves the airport during a transit in US, does Canada require another PCR test? ie. TPE-SEA-YVR with 18.5 hour layover in SEA, would the test taken in Taiwan still be good for arrival into Canada (assuming the SEA-YVR leg still falls within the 72 hours requirement). I thought I recalled anecdotes about folks being turned back to take a US test but maybe that was at the land border.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by lily23
If someone leaves the airport during a transit in US, does Canada require another PCR test? ie. TPE-SEA-YVR with 18.5 hour layover in SEA, would the test taken in Taiwan still be good for arrival into Canada (assuming the SEA-YVR leg still falls within the 72 hours requirement). I thought I recalled anecdotes about folks being turned back to take a US test but maybe that was at the land border.
Canada wants a USA covid test if you connect in USA to ensure people from India, etc. do not circumvent the rules by arriving in Canada via USA.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by lily23
No, it's only for the land border and tests from India. As long as your test is still current enough and from Taiwan, you're fine. I don't need a test when I come from the UK via the US overnight layover ...

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...getting-tested
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Canada wants a USA covid test if you connect in USA to ensure people from India, etc. do not circumvent the rules by arriving in Canada via USA.
Originally Posted by under2100
No, it's only for the land border and tests from India. As long as your test is still current enough and from Taiwan, you're fine. I don't need a test when I come from the UK via the US overnight layover ...

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...getting-tested
Thank you both!
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:17 pm

Anyone flown from the UK and know which of the hundreds of private (and expensive ) PCR tests available meet the Canadian requirements? I'm wondering if the need for the result to show "Name and civic address of the laboratory/clinic/facility that administered the test" means you can't swab yourself at home, which is what the majority of tests appear to be. Also most of them don't appear to guarentee a result within 72 hours. I thought being fully vaccinated meant this was going to be easier.....

Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by LizSop
Anyone flown from the UK and know which of the hundreds of private (and expensive ) PCR tests available meet the Canadian requirements? I'm wondering if the need for the result to show "Name and civic address of the laboratory/clinic/facility that administered the test" means you can't swab yourself at home, which is what the majority of tests appear to be. Also most of them don't appear to guarentee a result within 72 hours. I thought being fully vaccinated meant this was going to be easier.....

Thanks
You don't need PCR for Canada, you can use LAMP (a molecular test). I fly out of LHR and use Collinson in T2 or T5 - their lamp is GBP85 at the moment (slightly more than PCR) but turns around in 90-120 minutes, so can be done the day of the flight, depending on your departure time. I've used them twice to enter Canada without problem. I think BA often has a discount code on their site which I've used and the test people never asked details (wasn't flying BA). The reception people at Collinson are pretty friendly, and I print out the infos from the govt website about what I need on the cert and double check that everything will be included beforehand. They haven't had to alter it specially for me so far.

TBH, I paid CAD$150 for a mere antigen test in BC, so I don't think the prices in the UK are that bad.
LizSop likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:41 am

You don't need PCR for Canada, you can use LAMP (a molecular test). I fly out of LHR and use Collinson in T2 or T5 - their lamp is GBP85 at the moment (slightly more than PCR) but turns around in 90-120 minutes, so can be done the day of the flight, depending on your departure time. I've used them twice to enter Canada without problem. I think BA often has a discount code on their site which I've used and the test people never asked details (wasn't flying BA). The reception people at Collinson are pretty friendly, and I print out the infos from the govt website about what I need on the cert and double check that everything will be included beforehand. They haven't had to alter it specially for me so far.

TBH, I paid CAD$150 for a mere antigen test in BC, so I don't think the prices in the UK are that bad.
the in person PCR tests I’d found locally were all pushing £200. The lamp test is a whole lot better, especially for a family of 4!

the BA website was VERY helpful, not only for departure but for coming back to UK. There are two options (qured and medicspot) where you can book an antigen test to take with you. Under £40 and acceptable for UK entry. Self test done via skype. Saves the stress of hoping a PCR test sent to life labs is done in time.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Acceptable (non-Antigen) Test in Manhattan?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a PCR or other non-antigen test the Canadian gov't will accept in Manhattan?

I've seen a few people suggest Walgreens, but the closest location they have seems to be in the Bronx.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Does anyone have a recommendation for a PCR or other non-antigen test the Canadian gov't will accept in Manhattan?

I've seen a few people suggest Walgreens, but the closest location they have seems to be in the Bronx.
CVS seem to have locations in Manhattan, free PCR/NAAT, they say 1-2 day turnaround, seems to be easy to get appointments; not used them myself but others in this thread report they have
Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: AC SE
A relative is hoping to visit next week by crossing at a land border. She went to CVS today to get a test just to see what the results would look like and whether they would be acceptable at the border. (Obviously she will need another one closer to the time.)

Can someone who has gotten a CVS test tell me (or better, show me) what you actually showed to the border guard? She has a results page, but nothing that looks official or otherwise impressive. Basically it has her name, birth date, and the pharmacy address at the top, then this. Would this suffice?

Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
A relative is hoping to visit next week by crossing at a land border. She went to CVS today to get a test just to see what the results would look like and whether they would be acceptable at the border. (Obviously she will need another one closer to the time.)

Can someone who has gotten a CVS test tell me (or better, show me) what you actually showed to the border guard? She has a results page, but nothing that looks official or otherwise impressive. Basically it has her name, birth date, and the pharmacy address at the top, then this. Would this suffice?

This looks similar to what I used. They are looking for PCR which this is.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 5:17 am

Programs: AC E75K
CVS seem to have locations in Manhattan, free PCR/NAAT, they say 1-2 day turnaround, seems to be easy to get appointments; not used them myself but others in this thread report they have

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, the CVS locations in Manhattan do not offer the PCR / NAAT test.

But a friend pointed me to this company and service which seems to work: https://labq.com/covid-mobile-testing/

Will try it out and report back.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Thanks. So you just printed this as-is and they accepted it?
Old Jul 2, 2021, 5:38 am

Thanks. So you just printed this as-is and they accepted it?
Yes. It’s not a big deal. Name. Dob. Date and time test taken. PCR. Negative result.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
So I go to the USA from July 5 onwards, and then come back - as fully vaccinated.

I presume that Canada would only allow a PCR test to be done within 72 hrs of boarding? No rapid antigen test?

Where can one get that test done in USA - and how much does it cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.