Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Immediate family members is a massive loophole that I'm sure will be taken full advantage of. Incoming planes will still be full
The US ban, amongst other bans around the world, has much the same kind of exemption. Spouses and children and parents of citizens and permanent residents getting an exemption will be an exemption that gets used, but it’s no loophole; rather it’s a purposely designed feature and a sensible humanitarian approach for such times.

Planes may become full before the ban goes live or soon after the ban goes live, but the planes end up seeing less demand within a few days and then service options dry up as well.
ezefllying likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
They mention the land border to the US staying open, which leads me to suspect that flights may be barred soon too.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fizzer
They mention the land border to the US staying open, which leads me to suspect that flights may be barred soon too.
I don't follow that logic.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fizzer
How will the rural "self reporting" border points handle the health checks? The current procedure seems to be that one drives (or skis, walks, paddles, etc.) over the border and then calls to report the crossing, with normally no additional formalities. It would be hard to close or absolutely control the border at all of the small roads plus lakes etc.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US ban, amongst other bans around the world, has much the same kind of exemption. Spouses and children and parents of citizens and permanent residents getting an exemption will be an exemption that gets used, but it’s no loophole; rather it’s a purposely designed feature and a sensible humanitarian approach for such times.

Planes may become full before the ban goes live or soon after the ban goes live, but the planes end up seeing less demand within a few days and then service options dry up as well.
Depends on what the definition of immediate family members is. Obviously the definition you have is a humanitarian exemption. Canada's might be a lot broader. This shouldn't be used as an immigration issue but more of a temporary sealing of the border for disease control
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:51 pm

Is this the same for a Japanese national who is traveling through Canada to Japan?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
I don't follow that logic.
My hurried misunderstanding. Please ignore.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How will the rural "self reporting" border points handle the health checks? The current procedure seems to be that one drives (or skis, walks, paddles, etc.) over the border and then calls to report the crossing, with normally no additional formalities. It would be hard to close or absolutely control the border at all of the small roads plus lakes etc.
I misunderstood the article due to a hurried read. As for rural posts they could conceivably close land borders to all but freight. Never 100% but they don't need 100% to be effective at slowing the spread.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
As far as I know they are very strict at all the land border crossings even in most times. It has been my personal experience.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LeisureMiler
Effective Wednesday March 18 though it's not clear at what time. Let's assume midnight, the worse case scenario?
Originally Posted by PeterK
Does anyone have any more information on whether the ban is immediate or starting on the 18th?
https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releas...id-19-response

Beginning March 18, 2020 at 12:01 a.m. EDT

Originally Posted by metsbaseball
Is this the same for a Japanese national who is traveling through Canada to Japan?
​​​​​​​The measure would not apply in designated exceptional circumstances, including to air crews, travellers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian permanent residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Sure hope they add the French islands Saint Pierre and Miquelon to the exempted list. There's little reason to isolate them.
​​​​​​​Redirect international passenger flight arrivals to four airports: Toronto Pearson International Airport, Vancouver International Airport, Montréal-Trudeau International Airport, and Calgary International Airport. At this time, this measure will not affect domestic flights or flights from the United States, sun destinations such as Mexico and the Caribbean, or St. Pierre-et-Miquelon, which can continue to operate on their regular routes and land at current Canadian destinations. The Government is working closely with the airline industry and airports to avoid unnecessarily disrupting operations and minimize additionally inconveniencing travellers.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by majik
How in the heck do they expect airlines to ascertain the health of passengers before they board?

A scary thought is that these "health checks" will be become mandatory long after the current crisis is over.
They can't, really. They can check body temperature but not, of course, for whether someone tests positive.
And yeah, I think you are right. Health checks will be permanent.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm of the opinion, this still wasn't enough. Should've shut down the border entirely unless on govt business. Same like Boris Johnson "urging people" to not go to the bar etc....just shut them down. It comes with big consequences, but this is a big deal. We still have bars and restaurants full of people because they have nothing else to do. I believe Whistler is still open, so tourists are still showing up. Domestic travel only. I realize we have a special relationship with the Americans, but they appear to be some of the worst offenders when it comes to the social distancing and such, so now let them all come up here! Fingers crossed this all gets better before it gets worse, but I just don't see that happening unless more drastic measures are taken by all nations.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm of the opinion, this still wasn't enough. Should've shut down the border entirely unless on govt business. Same like Boris Johnson "urging people" to not go to the bar etc....just shut them down. It comes with big consequences, but this is a big deal. We still have bars and restaurants full of people because they have nothing else to do. I believe Whistler is still open, so tourists are still showing up. Domestic travel only. I realize we have a special relationship with the Americans, but they appear to be some of the worst offenders when it comes to the social distancing and such, so now let them all come up here! Fingers crossed this all gets better before it gets worse, but I just don't see that happening unless more drastic measures are taken by all nations.
All Vail Resorts properties (which includes Whistler-Blackcomb) are closed for 8 days, 15-22 March inclusive, at least for now.

https://www.snow.com/info/covid-19-update
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:19 pm

Just drove up to and returned from skiing in Whistler.
Talk about getting it done in the nick of time.
Whistler announced closure hours after I finished skiing.
Canada announces this the day after I cross back to US.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
All Vail Resorts properties (which includes Whistler-Blackcomb) are closed for 8 days, 15-22 March inclusive, at least for now.

https://www.snow.com/info/covid-19-update
My money is on this ends the season.
GUWonder and SkyteamEP like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.