Search

Need advice - problem with Sta travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
Need advice - problem with Sta travel

Hi all,

Wondering if I can get some advice from the FT community. I'm having a ridiculous problem with STA, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions. And sorry in advance if this turns into a rant.

I've been disappointed with STAs prices recently, but I happened to find a good deal with them for a BA flight to Riga. I booked it through the call centre in the US as the offices in the UK did not have the same rate. I was told (in writing, on my itinerary) that the ticket was refundable and changeable without penalty. This seemed unusual for a cheap fare, but I didn't question it

Turns out I can't travel, and when I contact STA about the refund they told me it was not possible. The fare is actually non refunable, non changeable. STA has admitted it was their agent's error, but will not refund the ticket. I've spoken to several supervisors and a sales manager who all tell me I should have known based on the price that the ticket was nonrefundable. After 30 minutes on the phone, I've gotten so exasperated I can't deal with their nonsensical position that I 'should have known'. I'm expecting a call from the director (who I gather is the most senior person at the call center), but doubt that will actually result in anything.

And onto the questions...

1. Has anyone else had bad experiences like this with STA?

2. Am I correct in thinking that STA has a responsibility to honor fare rules printed on my itinerary, even if they are different from the airline's rules?

3. Any suggestions on getting this resolved? Is this a situation where I can deny charges on my cc and be done with it?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by schmare
Hi all,

Wondering if I can get some advice from the FT community. I'm having a ridiculous problem with STA, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions. And sorry in advance if this turns into a rant.

I've been disappointed with STAs prices recently, but I happened to find a good deal with them for a BA flight to Riga. I booked it through the call centre in the US as the offices in the UK did not have the same rate. I was told (in writing, on my itinerary) that the ticket was refundable and changeable without penalty. This seemed unusual for a cheap fare, but I didn't question it

Turns out I can't travel, and when I contact STA about the refund they told me it was not possible. The fare is actually non refunable, non changeable. STA has admitted it was their agent's error, but will not refund the ticket. I've spoken to several supervisors and a sales manager who all tell me I should have known based on the price that the ticket was nonrefundable. After 30 minutes on the phone, I've gotten so exasperated I can't deal with their nonsensical position that I 'should have known'. I'm expecting a call from the director (who I gather is the most senior person at the call center), but doubt that will actually result in anything.

And onto the questions...

1. Has anyone else had bad experiences like this with STA?

2. Am I correct in thinking that STA has a responsibility to honor fare rules printed on my itinerary, even if they are different from the airline's rules?

3. Any suggestions on getting this resolved? Is this a situation where I can deny charges on my cc and be done with it?

Thanks in advance
1. Never dealt with STA.
2. Not an attorney, but in my humble opinion: STA should eat it. They are your agent. You made a promise to pay and contract was formed with them by their employee for a fully refundable ticket...which they should honor because they didn't provide you with a fully refundable ticket regardless of the airline rules.
3. I would call them back and demand that they eat the price of the ticket because you were promised a fully refundable ticket. If they balk at this, I'd bring up the fact that they were the one who made the mistake. Not you. If they keep on bringing up the "you should have known" then you should also state that if that was the case, they shouldn't have made the mistake. If they deny this, bring up the client/agent relationship and the request and promises that STA has made. If that doesn't work, deny the credit card charge and let them deal with it.

Good luck.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:32 am

Don't waste time arguing with them. Write to them demanding a full refund. Give them a deadline. If they pay - all well and good. If they don't pay - go to the Small Claims Court. You can even do this online (do a search on "Money Claim Online")
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:15 pm

I tried booking a flight though there website the other day. It was enough to put me of using them for life
Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:10 am

Did you put it on your credit card? You may want to dispute the charge it with your credit card company. Tell your CC company that STA misled you on the rules of the ticket to induce you to purchase and then refused to honor their original agreement.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:14 am

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
make sure you get the names and titles of everyone you have talked too and dealt with. good luck.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thank You

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions on how to resolve this. As I never received the call from the director, I phoned my credit card company. They advised that if the company is not honoring a written part of the agreement I can dispute the charge, so that works for me.

Yet another example of why it's important to get fare rules in writing!

cheers
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Really does sound like you've done everything right at least. Keep fighting! I bought a fully changeable ticket from them once. But when I wanted to change my return I found out that date changes were fine, but I had to travel on the exact same flights on the new dates..
Other than that, I'm very pleased with them. They often offer very discounted flexible (that actually are flexible) tickets for students.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:25 am

STA arent all that bad, really great for students. I'd keep trying you should be able to get your refund. Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mattox
STA arent all that bad, really great for students. I'd keep trying you should be able to get your refund. Fingers crossed.
yeah, STA doesn't really seem to have cheaper prices than any of the other flight sites. I don't understand why anyone would use them.

As for your legal claim, stick at it. If you have it in writing, you're golden. And if they try blaming it on the agent, they can't. agency law makes STA liable for the acts of their agents when performed in the scope of their duty.

But anyways, seems like you passed it off to your credit card company (smart).

let us know how it turns out.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Well since you asked how it turned out ...

Well since you asked how it turned out ....

I sent a certified letter documenting my case and requesting the full refund. In reply (about two weeks later, when I had asked for a reply in 7 days in the letter) they offered travel credit for the flight.

The funny thing is that at the beginning I probably would have taken travel credit- we're not talking about a huge amount of money, and I have several upcoming trips where I probably could have made use of the voucher.

But six weeks after the original incident, after all the hassles with the various supervisors and agents, and the expense of dealing with an office in AZ when I'm currently in London .... their offer was too little, too late.

So I've denied charges on my cc, and STA can take it up with the cc company.

On another note, several people have PMd me saying they work for STA, and my experience shouldn't have happened, and that the STA AZ office is particularly bad with customer service. I can't comment beyond my experience - if those people want to post publically I'm sure they will - but the way they approached this problem has definitely turned me away from sta!

cheers
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:37 am

I booked an early morning UA flight for my sister thru STA SFO-PHX. Her flight was cancelled and rescheduled by UA for late afternoon. Turns out STA booked a non-end ticket (didn't know what that meant until then) which didn't allow her to be reticked on HP which had a similar flight to the original. There was a lot of back and forth with UA and STA's CSRs. STA said they had to wait for a supervisor to show up for work...2 hrs later. I'm not sure if all the tickets are booked this way but I'll probably not use STA very much in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.