Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with flights from Europe to SNN???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, NW, UA, YX
Question Help with flights from Europe to SNN???

My first options are from Karlsruhe-Baden (FKB) to DUB or to SNN via London Stansted (STN). The price would be comparable and the connection would save me money getting from DUB to SNN, and let me sleep in the airport (which is very highly reviewed for sleeping!). It allows me 1hr50m in STN, which I understand won't work, so...

My other options if I take the FKB-DUB flight are a late night train from DUB to SNN for 44eu (and sleeping somewhere??? as I don't think the bus to the airport runs that late), aer lingus from DUB-SNN the next morning for 54.03 eu(staying with my travel buddies in a hostel), arriving 1hr40m before my DL flight to JFK (is that too close for SNN?), or...anything else anyone knows about? Any thoughts on where else in that area of Germany would be a good place to fly from??? I checked out easyjet from Basel to STN...the connection time would be 6 hours, but it is a bit out of my way, and leaves earlier than I'd prefer.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts...all the other plans have gone smoothly, but on this one, nothing is working and well, and I'm kind of lost...Thanks!!!!

PS the easiest solution would be for DL to sell me a separate ticket from dub-snn since that is the same flight, but that doesn't show up on their website at least, and changing my ticket would cost 200 + fare dif (big now I think)
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:29 am

Have you looked at the dreaded "Frankfurt" Hahn? I know that Ryanair have flights from there to SNN, and it's not that far from Karlsruhe.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Sadly no flights from FRA-SNN on Tuesdays...and if it's DUB then I'd go FKB over FRA, but thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:41 am

you may consider flights from Frankfurt-Hahn to Kerry (daily flights on Ryanair) which is close to Shannon (much closer than DUB).
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'd go with your original plan. I wouldn't want to sleep at SNN - especially the non-US terminal (they won't let you into the US terminal until 1 hour before departure). The great southern hotel (located accross from the terminal) has a "standby" rate (you have to ask for it)- 60 EUR when I was there - if its available. Better yet, take a cheap bus to Enismore (20 min) and get a taste of an Irish town - there are hotels as cheap as 40 EUR and you'll be able to arrive early am the next morning.

I'd avoid the Kerry airport. IME, its not any closer time-wise than Dublin (there is an expressway for much of the way between Dublin and SNN)

Taking the train or the bus will involve 2 connections.

1:40 is probably early enough for SNN, but be advised security can have a huge line for their morning bank of flights ( they have at max 3 x-rays and were using one of them for crew last time I visited) but they call people out of line who are about to miss their flight.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have experience with the EI flights from DUB-SNN? They are A330 and I understand everyone has to deplane and go through customs if continuing. How is their timeliness? Would that make the 1hr40mins a no go?

I had kind of ruled out Kerry too...my preference would be DUB, but I'm worried about the timing...EI from LHR the morning of the 5th would be plenty of time, but I'd have to get from STN or LGW to LHR and sleep somewhere in between...I'm sure a bit more expensive than I'm looking for, even if a bit cheaper in flights.

Thanks for all your help...as you can tell, I'm lost!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.