FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice - problem with Sta travel
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:18 am
party_boy

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by schmare
Hi all,

Wondering if I can get some advice from the FT community. I'm having a ridiculous problem with STA, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions. And sorry in advance if this turns into a rant.

I've been disappointed with STAs prices recently, but I happened to find a good deal with them for a BA flight to Riga. I booked it through the call centre in the US as the offices in the UK did not have the same rate. I was told (in writing, on my itinerary) that the ticket was refundable and changeable without penalty. This seemed unusual for a cheap fare, but I didn't question it

Turns out I can't travel, and when I contact STA about the refund they told me it was not possible. The fare is actually non refunable, non changeable. STA has admitted it was their agent's error, but will not refund the ticket. I've spoken to several supervisors and a sales manager who all tell me I should have known based on the price that the ticket was nonrefundable. After 30 minutes on the phone, I've gotten so exasperated I can't deal with their nonsensical position that I 'should have known'. I'm expecting a call from the director (who I gather is the most senior person at the call center), but doubt that will actually result in anything.

And onto the questions...

1. Has anyone else had bad experiences like this with STA?

2. Am I correct in thinking that STA has a responsibility to honor fare rules printed on my itinerary, even if they are different from the airline's rules?

3. Any suggestions on getting this resolved? Is this a situation where I can deny charges on my cc and be done with it?

Thanks in advance
1. Never dealt with STA.
2. Not an attorney, but in my humble opinion: STA should eat it. They are your agent. You made a promise to pay and contract was formed with them by their employee for a fully refundable ticket...which they should honor because they didn't provide you with a fully refundable ticket regardless of the airline rules.
3. I would call them back and demand that they eat the price of the ticket because you were promised a fully refundable ticket. If they balk at this, I'd bring up the fact that they were the one who made the mistake. Not you. If they keep on bringing up the "you should have known" then you should also state that if that was the case, they shouldn't have made the mistake. If they deny this, bring up the client/agent relationship and the request and promises that STA has made. If that doesn't work, deny the credit card charge and let them deal with it.

Good luck.