Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
If I fly Solo, I might take the legacy carrier with the stopover. If I fly with a Wookie, it'd most likely be a direct flight.

It also depends on things like departure time, amount of luggage, flyer points required to re-qualify, purpose of the trip, etc.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:14 am

Having a status on the particular legacy can also be a bonus for me.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I ran into DL's usual brick wall of bad summer availability for anything to BKK, and ended up with ATL-DTW-NRT-BKK (stop)-ICN-IAH at 90K miles, with the return on KE.

So I needed a OW to get from IAH to ATL. Spirit was well-timed BUT, because I was heavy on all bags (i.e. maxing out the 50+50 lbs. checked and the fullsize carry-on) and Spirit won't follow industry standards, they didn't win out. Spirit would charge not only for 2 checked bags, but also $25 each for 50 lbs being "overweight" when they've decided on 40 lbs. And the carry-on also would be charged.

I went with AA at $130 + 60 for bags, as I'm building up to status level there (but am barely under gold). It was an IAH-MIA-ATL connection that added miles but wasn't time efficient, though it did afford a beautiful view of the Mississippi Delta right where it empies into the Gulf (land that could be underwater in 10-20 years).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanR
Why would anyone take an indirect flight when you can fly direct for the same cost - doesn't matter if the airlines involved are legacy or budget
I agree, it kinda defeats the purpose.

Only time I take two flights, is if there train is the only other option. For example to get from Manchester, UK to Bristol, UK by train costs £77, however its £35 with Ryanair via Dublin! Nuts
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I agree, it kinda defeats the purpose
Well, way back when I'd take extra legs for the extra miles. Now that they changed the program, not so much.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Well, I'd take extra legs for the extra miles. Now that they changed the program, not so much.
I can understand the miles argument.

Whenever I need to get from Aberdeen to Belfast last minute, Flybe non stop charge absolutely stupid amounts at last minute so ill usually use avios and go via Heathrow with BA for £17.50 (althouth they are now going to start charging £17.50 for each leg so it will be double now ). Although if I book wayyy in advance I can fly non stop for as low as £20.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Interesting discussion: do not forget though a direct flight means the flight has the same flight number all the way thru. It can have stops.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:41 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by u2fan
Interesting discussion: do not forget though a direct flight means the flight has the same flight number all the way thru. It can have stops.
You are of course absolutely correct, but I think so far the discussion has accepted the direct as nonstop. These often get confused.

I'm sometimes on direct DFW-SFO-YYJ, which of course in not nonstop, in fact there is a change of planes at SFO to CRJ with its tiny seats and no legroom Oh, and sometimes three hour layover
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All else being equal, I'll always pick the shortest flight at a given price point. Except I might exclude Spirit from consideration.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RustyC
I ran into DL's usual brick wall of bad summer availability for anything to BKK, and ended up with ATL-DTW-NRT-BKK (stop)-ICN-IAH at 90K miles, with the return on KE.

So I needed a OW to get from IAH to ATL. Spirit was well-timed BUT, because I was heavy on all bags (i.e. maxing out the 50+50 lbs. checked and the fullsize carry-on) and Spirit won't follow industry standards, they didn't win out. Spirit would charge not only for 2 checked bags, but also $25 each for 50 lbs being "overweight" when they've decided on 40 lbs. And the carry-on also would be charged.

I went with AA at $130 + 60 for bags, as I'm building up to status level there (but am barely under gold). It was an IAH-MIA-ATL connection that added miles but wasn't time efficient, though it did afford a beautiful view of the Mississippi Delta right where it empies into the Gulf (land that could be underwater in 10-20 years).
Somewhat OT, but I'm a sucker for certain routes because of the view. I'd very much like to see that view of the delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.