FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:39 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RustyC
I ran into DL's usual brick wall of bad summer availability for anything to BKK, and ended up with ATL-DTW-NRT-BKK (stop)-ICN-IAH at 90K miles, with the return on KE.

So I needed a OW to get from IAH to ATL. Spirit was well-timed BUT, because I was heavy on all bags (i.e. maxing out the 50+50 lbs. checked and the fullsize carry-on) and Spirit won't follow industry standards, they didn't win out. Spirit would charge not only for 2 checked bags, but also $25 each for 50 lbs being "overweight" when they've decided on 40 lbs. And the carry-on also would be charged.

I went with AA at $130 + 60 for bags, as I'm building up to status level there (but am barely under gold). It was an IAH-MIA-ATL connection that added miles but wasn't time efficient, though it did afford a beautiful view of the Mississippi Delta right where it empies into the Gulf (land that could be underwater in 10-20 years).
Somewhat OT, but I'm a sucker for certain routes because of the view. I'd very much like to see that view of the delta.