Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

And it would double the travel time.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Budget direct; solely leisure traveler here, don't care about FF miles.

Originally Posted by boybi
And it would double the travel time.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

I collect miles... but I'd still fly budget direct. My time is too valuable.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

Tough call with too many factors. Likely I would do whatever works best for me.
Old May 2, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: TK*G
Domestically, I'd rather take the budget non-stop. Lounges in the U.S. are nothing to write home about and I value my time much more.

Abroad, I've done both but sometimes prefer taking a *A/ST carrier for short hops. If I'm flying long-haul, I'll take *A/ST just to earn the miles.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Definitely direct. A connection always could involve IRROPS and delays.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I don't do it for the miles but to avoid certain airlines. I'm really not a big SouthWest fan. I will take a connection on a legacy over a direct with SW with some consideration for how much extra time this costs me. Considering the few routes I fly where this would happen the added time is minimal.
I also will do so to avoid flying 75 minutes on a CRJ200 when a flight on a NextGen Q400 with an easy & relatively quick connection in YTZ is available on an airline I do like.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Depends on the situation... If I'm flying somewhere Friday night after work and return Sunday, I would fly direct. If it's >3 I will most likely fly direct.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's hard to answer without knowing the specific airlines. Also, budget carrieres sometimes use different and less convenient airports with little public transportation, so that can be a factor.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Well, I can tell you that I've for years I've connected in Houston to fly from Dallas to San Diego. Mostly to collect Qualifying Miles to keep my status @:-)

Now that UA has decided that I don't spend enough money to achieve top tier, and Southwest can fly there nonstop from Love Field I'm much more open to nonstops.

Of course, for some reason UA has now decided to throw out some really low fares on this route every once in a while, so I'm again connecting in Houston this Saturday. All for measlyl $130 round trip
Old May 5, 2015, 12:01 pm

If I'm flying Solo, Direct every time. If traveling with kids, then I prefer to have a layover if the flight is > 3-4 hours to give the kids a chance to run around.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:51 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Generally I'd take the legacy carrier. I try out other airlines when no legacy carriers fly those routes (e.g. Manchester, UK to Marrakech).
Old May 8, 2015, 11:09 am

Why would anyone take an indirect flight when you can fly direct for the same cost - doesn't matter if the airlines involved are legacy or budget
Old May 8, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Comfort. Reliability. Amenities.

Originally Posted by alanR
Why would anyone take an indirect flight when you can fly direct for the same cost - doesn't matter if the airlines involved are legacy or budget
Old May 8, 2015, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Also fees (which I don't pay due to status with legacy carriers), FF benefits (status and redeemable miles, upgrades, elite lines, etc.), TSA PreCheck if applicable, lounges, airport location, not wanting to hear FAs do dumb comedy or party routines, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.