FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budget Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/)
-   -   Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel/1676814-will-you-fly-budget-direct-flight-legacy-connecting-same-cost.html)

boybi May 1, 2015 9:37 pm

Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost?

And it would double the travel time.

fozziedoggie May 1, 2015 10:04 pm

Budget direct; solely leisure traveler here, don't care about FF miles.

Originally Posted by boybi (Post 24753209)
And it would double the travel time.

TravelinSperry May 1, 2015 11:16 pm

Will you fly budget for a direct flight, or legacy with connecting at the same cost?

I collect miles... but I'd still fly budget direct. My time is too valuable.

Flaneurs May 1, 2015 11:49 pm

Tough call with too many factors. Likely I would do whatever works best for me.

State of Trance May 2, 2015 12:16 am

Domestically, I'd rather take the budget non-stop. Lounges in the U.S. are nothing to write home about and I value my time much more.

Abroad, I've done both but sometimes prefer taking a *A/ST carrier for short hops. If I'm flying long-haul, I'll take *A/ST just to earn the miles.

Forrest Bump May 2, 2015 1:27 am

Definitely direct. A connection always could involve IRROPS and delays.

Yoshi212 May 2, 2015 8:11 am

I don't do it for the miles but to avoid certain airlines. I'm really not a big SouthWest fan. I will take a connection on a legacy over a direct with SW with some consideration for how much extra time this costs me. Considering the few routes I fly where this would happen the added time is minimal.
I also will do so to avoid flying 75 minutes on a CRJ200 when a flight on a NextGen Q400 with an easy & relatively quick connection in YTZ is available on an airline I do like.

TOMFORD May 2, 2015 10:15 am

Depends on the situation... If I'm flying somewhere Friday night after work and return Sunday, I would fly direct. If it's >3 I will most likely fly direct.

MSPeconomist May 5, 2015 8:05 am

It's hard to answer without knowing the specific airlines. Also, budget carrieres sometimes use different and less convenient airports with little public transportation, so that can be a factor.

EmailKid May 5, 2015 8:58 am

Well, I can tell you that I've for years I've connected in Houston to fly from Dallas to San Diego. Mostly to collect Qualifying Miles to keep my status @:-)

Now that UA has decided that I don't spend enough money to achieve top tier, and Southwest can fly there nonstop from Love Field I'm much more open to nonstops.

Of course, for some reason UA has now decided to throw out some really low fares on this route every once in a while, so I'm again connecting in Houston this Saturday. All for measlyl $130 round trip :D

Big4Flyer May 5, 2015 12:01 pm

If I'm flying Solo, Direct every time. If traveling with kids, then I prefer to have a layover if the flight is > 3-4 hours to give the kids a chance to run around.

BuildingMyBento May 8, 2015 9:51 am

Generally I'd take the legacy carrier. I try out other airlines when no legacy carriers fly those routes (e.g. Manchester, UK to Marrakech).

alanR May 8, 2015 11:09 am

Why would anyone take an indirect flight when you can fly direct for the same cost - doesn't matter if the airlines involved are legacy or budget

Yoshi212 May 8, 2015 12:02 pm

Comfort. Reliability. Amenities.

Originally Posted by alanR (Post 24786149)
Why would anyone take an indirect flight when you can fly direct for the same cost - doesn't matter if the airlines involved are legacy or budget

MSPeconomist May 8, 2015 12:07 pm

Also fees (which I don't pay due to status with legacy carriers), FF benefits (status and redeemable miles, upgrades, elite lines, etc.), TSA PreCheck if applicable, lounges, airport location, not wanting to hear FAs do dumb comedy or party routines, etc.