Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread: Paid seat selection discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clinic Thread: Paid seat selection discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan
Originally Posted by ian001
Paid for lounge access is only being offered to WT+ pax for now and to enable cardholders to bring in additional guests. It will not be available to everyone.
I never heard of this. Is it everywhere?

Sunrisegirl: I feel for you and everyones else on here. Its hard for me to see your views because like I said AA doesnt have the exec policy of BA so I guess I'm just not used to it.
The paid for lounge access is only a trial at JFK for now. It should be extended elsewhere next year. It is only a trial for now. In the current market you can't blame BA for reassessing everything.

On the point made earlier about Virgin, do not be surprised if they quietly follow suit and change their policy, just as they did with the recent baggage allowance changes.

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
For those non-status customers who have trips already booked under the old policy, I wonder if, post Oct. 7, they will be able to go in and pay to select seats through MMB prior to OLCI?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by expatboy
Don't know, but I'd hope that BA would:
a) re-assign that traveller's seat to a non-bassinet position,
b) then refund their 50 quid
c) and not charge me (or the infant!) 50quid for the seat.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out in practice though. I can't imagine they'd say "Sorry sir / madam, someone has paid for more legroom so you can't put your baby in the cot on your 9 hour night flight", but you never know. Race to the bottom and all that
Well I read (might have been on skytrax passenger comments but I can't find it) that someone had forked out on VS for an exit row seat in Y and when the IFE failed to work the FA suggested a non exit row seat and offered no compensation.

Another thing that bugs me is what if no one pays the £50 for an exit row? Do the pax eventually assigned those seats get to sit there for free, and what if only one is paid for?

I flew to the UK, and on departing Johannesburg found that all aisle and window seats were taken. I was offered an exit seat for an additional sum of R800,00 which I duly paid. Sitting next to me was a young man who did not pay the extra - but obtained the seat anyway! Returning to Johannesburg I was again offered an exit seat for the additional sum of GBP75. Just before take-off, a lady came and sat next to me - she had just moved from another seat and not paid extra! I do not resent paying the extra, providing the same criteria is used for all passengers using the exit seats.
One of the reasons that I pay to fly in Club is so that I have the chance of a decent seat at OLCI. I'd even be happier to turn up hours earlier at the airport and bag my seat (even if OLCI was easier) like we used to do rather than fork out another £60 each sector.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Sep 24, 2009 at 11:14 am
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
kered I understand you're happy about this and good luck to you.

But to say nothing is taken away from silvers is utterly wrong.
But the ability to choose the exit rows in WT & WT+ is still there, albeit for a small fee.

If you spent thousands each year to be able to pre-assign yourself a decent seat then you'd be well and truly pi$$ed off.
Well I’m lucky enough to be able to spend a fair whack of money per year on our travels & to fly in premium cabins. I’ve always wanted to be able to spend this money with BA & “Mrs Kered” & I do really like the CW product. But since the introduction of the current seating policy our spend has gone elsewhere. Now with the introduction of this new arrangement, BA is once again open to us to book & we will most certainly be doing so.

The only thing that matters to me as silver is seating assignment and yes I'll still get it in premium cabins. But so will every other Tom, Dick & Harry for a price. That means less chance of getting favoured seats, more kids running around creating havoc on the upper deck……….
IME I haven’t witnessed this on other airlines, which offer seating assignments for free at the moment.

The only people who this policy is going to please are the once a year (or less) passengers who couldn't give a toss whether they go with BA, VS, FR, EZ or whoever.
I don’t think that most of those “once a year travellers” will care about their seats nor pay the fee to choose them at the time of booking.

But for me, as a more than “once a year traveller” it means the world to me, that I can pre-assign our seats in advance. For this reason I am indeed very happy to learn of this new arrangement.

I don't earn my miles through Tesco, Amex or any myriad of other means. I earn my miles from predominantly one way only .... and that's loyalty to flying in premium cabins with BA as a paying passenger.
Nor do, or indeed can, I earn my miles or TP’s from any other means than flying with BA as a paying passenger.. For me there is no Tesco or Amex option available. Nor can I earn any miles or TP’s while flying from ORK or DUB to LHR to connect onward with BA.

By making this change they may as well tell me "tough, we don't want you any more nor do we care how you feel".
Which is precisely the way I felt when the current policy came into effect.

And as for being just a newspaper article, unfortunately it's not. The policy comes into effect on 7th October.
Well I guess we’ll have to wait & see how it all pans out in practice & see how many passengers pay the fee for their seating assignments & what in turn that means to the status passenger.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:07 am

It's not entirely clear whether non-status pax will be able to continue to choose their seat (for free) T-24. Anyone know?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
As stated, with KL/AF the 'premium' seats in the Y cabin stay mostly empty since nobody pays for them. Until after the 'fasten seatbelt' sign is turned off that is. Then pax move themselves into the paid seats for free. I have never seen the crew interfering...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by JPS76
........To add another £120 on top of a return fare, or £240 on top of a LHR>SIN/BKK>SYD?? No I dont have to spend this, but even if I cant reserve say, 62/64K etc etc, I do have the choice of chosing my next preferred option. Not now though.
Why not
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
It's not entirely clear whether non-status pax will be able to continue to choose their seat (for free) T-24. Anyone know?
If the immitate most other airlines that charge for exit row seats: no. It will cost you money. Always.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by PEK Duck
Do you actually pay £2000 a year to get silver? Or is it incidental with the amount you travel? I certainly don't travel CW in order to get status, I travel CW in order to get sleep on a flat bed.

I'm obviously going to be a bit miffed if I book a month or two out and there are no J seats other than the middle seats on the lower deck of a 747. But I think this is unlikely. We don't know yet what effect this is going to have on seat selection, but as above I reckon that the majority of people won't choose their seats in advance because they'll see it as a waste of money. We'll have to wait and see, but other than for people with status who want exit rows in Y I don't expect there's going to be a massive impact. BA probably think these guys should be in CE anyway. BA's got to do something to raise revenue and cut costs - all airlines are - and I think this is probably one of the least painful things they could do (especially compared with charging for booze, checked luggage etc.)
Exactly, there are some pretty awful commercial realities facing BA and other carriers right now and some things will affect some customers, but not others. For many this will be seen as a positive thing, for some they will see it as restricting their options. In reality I don't think it will cause too many problems and when compared to some of the alternatives that BA had it is indeed the least painful.

Frankly some of the over-reactions on here have surprised me.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by kered
But the ability to choose the exit rows in WT & WT+ is still there, albeit for a small fee.
BA need to hire you as their PR.... £100 is not what I'd consider a "small fee".
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by PEK Duck
Do you actually pay £2000 a year to get silver? Or is it incidental with the amount you travel? I certainly don't travel CW in order to get status, I travel CW in order to get sleep on a flat bed.
Yes I have been taking a number of trips each year around Europe in order to maintain silver, and also buying CW fares to get the extra TPs.

I do understand how those unable to pre-assign feel as I was like that myself before I became silver. 'What a hypocrite' I hear you say. Well maybe, but the old policy did at least hold back some of the more favoured seats for premium card holders whereas this new policy doesn't appear to be doing that (though I've just heard something about UD not being for sale?)

If that same protection of seats for late booking silver or gold card holders was still in effect then I'd be much happier and comfortable with the policy.

And I'm certainly aware of the tough economic conditions we're currently facing and have no problem with the charging for seats. However I do think there's a compromise to be reached somewhere for silver card holders who certainly seem to be the ones being short changed by this.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
Frankly some of the over-reactions on here have surprised me.
Maybe so, but it's your *customers* who are 'over reacting'.

I did a TP run so I could get silver status, mainly for the benefit of booking an exit row seat. 6 months down the line, this benefit is being taken away.

"Compare us to Ryanair".... indeed.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

I don’t think that most of those “once a year travellers” will care about their seats nor pay the fee to choose them at the time of booking.
My mum is a sort of once a year traveller (she certainly isn't doing 20+ flights but more than one) in CW and she cares greatly about where she sits on the flights she takes. Is she going to pay £120 extra per trip to pick her seats, doubt it, would she consider another airline, possibly.

I personally have no problem with the current system that rewards those who fly frequently with BA and therefore have status, with pre selection of seats. I don't have status and am therefore happy to be able to pick my CW seats from what's left after the Prems/Golds/Silvers have had their pick.

If WW thinks I'm going to fork out £120 to pick my seats in advance he can fork off I'll take my chances at OLCI. Martin Broughton will be getting a letter from me (at some point postal strike depending, and I know how to make sure he sees it rather than it just going into the normal mail bag for the customer service team to look at*) stating that this is a bad move and that I was going to try for Silver this year but I'm not sure I'll bother now.

*and no I'm not sharing that, sorry.

Well I guess we’ll have to wait & see how it all pans out in practice & see how many passengers pay the fee for their seating assignments & what in turn that means to the status passenger.
The problem is that this will cause untold trouble when people are shifted from their assigned seats and need refunds, which might cause them to avoid BA in the future, and as I said above what happens if one person in the Exit row has paid and the others haven't? Resentment, Envy etc.?

Last edited by Jimmie76; Sep 24, 2009 at 11:33 am
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:25 am

A silver writes ... Seat selection - specifically exit rows when travelling in Y - makes my company Y-only travel policy a little more bearable. And so to get and keep status I direct the money I spend on premium personal travel towards BA. No reason to keep my leisure spending in the OW family without it. A huge and a bit
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:27 am

I wonder in real terms how badly this will affect premium passengers. I'm a humble blue who with my lovely wife fly a couple of times a year to YYZ to see our son. We usually use miles to upgrade from WT+ to CW. So we have been forced to wait until -24 hours for seat selection. We nearly always have been surprised at how open the choice has been and usually bag upper deck on 747 or a window and aisle on 777. So if now not many CW passengers bother to pre select seats even before the day of travel, will they be forking out £120 return each for a desired seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.