Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Clinic Thread: Paid seat selection discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clinic Thread: Paid seat selection discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
Have there been any indications of how Oneworld Emeralds would be treated? Apologies if this was already covered.

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
Originally Posted by flyclub
I could produce a list in an instant how on North American routes BA are night and day ahead of the vast majority of carriers across all cabins. :
I'd actually like to see this list out of curiosity

Originally Posted by kered
It’s up to each passenger to determine if seating assignments is important enough for them to pay the fee. I certainly do & see BA featuring in our travels in future again, whereas up ‘till now, they were all but off the radar.
Strange comment from someone who is a SCH.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Tupelo
If 63B (or whatever other coveted seat) on the 747 is available only to status passengers before OCLI, then the only customer who can take that seat away from the last minute, full-fare passenger is....another elite. And that risk exists now.

It doesn't matter what kind of logic you try to apply here, the fact is BA moved away from what you're advocating because of the adverse reaction from what it perceived as its most valuable customers. BA didn't try to tweak the old system. They junked it.

FWIW I'm all for a little differentiation between airlines. I positively like the fact BA has stood on it's own, though I'd prefer them to have the courage of their convictions rather than continually water down the brand by Ryan-esque charging. Full service darn well ought to mean full service, which includes such insiduous nonsense as fuel surcharges on award tickets.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
Kered, how many flights did it take you to get a Silver Card from BA?
Four.

Originally Posted by hammythehammer
I'm puzzled why you are such a proponent of seat reservation for Joe Public as of course under the old system you were eligible to choose seats anyway as a SCH.

While I’m silver again now, I haven’t always been & more than likely won’t be again sometime in the future. Primarily due to my membership year end not tallying with our travel schedule, despite taking enough trips a year to earn the required TP’s.

I’ve long spoken out against BA’s current seating policy & can only see this development as a positive move.

During my time as a non status BAEC member, I’ve wanted to have BA in my choice of carriers for our travels. But because of the seating policy I couldn’t / wouldn’t do that. At least now BA will be back on my list, when / if I lose status again.

Last edited by kered; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:12 pm
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by becket5
Have there been any indications of how Oneworld Emeralds would be treated? Apologies if this was already covered.

There's probably a secret plan to be leaked next week that involves them sitting in vats of cold baked beans..... And having to pay for the AAdvantage....
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
Originally Posted by bernardd
There's probably a secret plan to be leaked next week that involves them sitting in vats of cold baked beans..... And having to pay for the AAdvantage....
Fair enough. But would we be able to preselect the vat number?

Last edited by becket5; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:18 pm
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
Originally Posted by bernardd
At least there will be food on the flight ^
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:13 pm

Previous booking

We booked BA tickets for November last week. Will we have the option to pay for seat selection on 7th October or will we have to wait for online check in?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by becket5
Fair enough. But would be able to preselect the vat number?
For a fee of course. But some vats would still be better than others.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by malcliz
We booked BA tickets for November last week. Will we have the option to pay for seat selection on 7th October or will we have to wait for online check in?
I think you should wait until OLCI - otherwise you could be taking a seat which rightly belongs to a Gold and Silver member.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kered
It’s up to each passenger to determine if seating assignments is important enough for them to pay the fee. I certainly do & see BA featuring in our travels in future again, whereas up ‘till now, they were all but off the radar.
I still don't understand this statement in the context of you being a SCH. Either you have been benefiting from the previous system or would in the future .
Why were BA off the radar? because they wouldn't let you pay for a seat reservation that would be free as a SCH ?

I've read and re-read that post and just don't understand it.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
I have mixed views on this. Not keen on charging for seat pre-assignments in J, although if I were a non-status passenger paying £120 to secure upper deck on the 747 versus running the risk of a middle crappy seat would be money well spent.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
As a US-based Blue, I was going to do a TP run to attain Silver status. No way am I doing that now. Even as a Blue, I think this policy is absolutely ridiculous.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:28 pm

Is the entire upper deck of a 747 reserved up until T-24 for gold and silver card holders? If so, then I won't be paying for seat selection on the main deck

As a Blue, I have my preference set 'Window'. So would think there is a reasonable expectation that I will be pre assigned a window seat in CW at OLCI anyway. Even for WT, I manage just fine in seats with standard 31" pitch

I imagine bulkhead seats in WT will not be available either, as it will just cause a mess if mother and father with baby in carrier who cannot afford paying to select the bulkhead seats, are lumbered with a normal seat after solo travellers etc with more disposable income grab them

Not interested in exit row seats on a 777 either as there is no window view?

OT: I was highly surprised when booking a domestic flight with AA on the cheapest available economy price, that I was able to select my seats at booking

Last edited by alasdair_m; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.