FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Clinic Thread: Paid seat selection discussion
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:06 am
kered

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
kered I understand you're happy about this and good luck to you.

But to say nothing is taken away from silvers is utterly wrong.
But the ability to choose the exit rows in WT & WT+ is still there, albeit for a small fee.

If you spent thousands each year to be able to pre-assign yourself a decent seat then you'd be well and truly pi$$ed off.
Well I’m lucky enough to be able to spend a fair whack of money per year on our travels & to fly in premium cabins. I’ve always wanted to be able to spend this money with BA & “Mrs Kered” & I do really like the CW product. But since the introduction of the current seating policy our spend has gone elsewhere. Now with the introduction of this new arrangement, BA is once again open to us to book & we will most certainly be doing so.

The only thing that matters to me as silver is seating assignment and yes I'll still get it in premium cabins. But so will every other Tom, Dick & Harry for a price. That means less chance of getting favoured seats, more kids running around creating havoc on the upper deck……….
IME I haven’t witnessed this on other airlines, which offer seating assignments for free at the moment.

The only people who this policy is going to please are the once a year (or less) passengers who couldn't give a toss whether they go with BA, VS, FR, EZ or whoever.
I don’t think that most of those “once a year travellers” will care about their seats nor pay the fee to choose them at the time of booking.

But for me, as a more than “once a year traveller” it means the world to me, that I can pre-assign our seats in advance. For this reason I am indeed very happy to learn of this new arrangement.

I don't earn my miles through Tesco, Amex or any myriad of other means. I earn my miles from predominantly one way only .... and that's loyalty to flying in premium cabins with BA as a paying passenger.
Nor do, or indeed can, I earn my miles or TP’s from any other means than flying with BA as a paying passenger.. For me there is no Tesco or Amex option available. Nor can I earn any miles or TP’s while flying from ORK or DUB to LHR to connect onward with BA.

By making this change they may as well tell me "tough, we don't want you any more nor do we care how you feel".
Which is precisely the way I felt when the current policy came into effect.

And as for being just a newspaper article, unfortunately it's not. The policy comes into effect on 7th October.
Well I guess we’ll have to wait & see how it all pans out in practice & see how many passengers pay the fee for their seating assignments & what in turn that means to the status passenger.