Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our first F is spoiled

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
[OT]In India they invented the word 'prepone'. It means to do something earlier than intended. I argued several times this can never be or one should also be able to 'pone' something.... Ghastly.[/OT]
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by mad_rich
It is a ghastly word. It implies that the speaker has previously planed, or perhaps even enplaned, which doesn't sound like a particularly pleasant experience. I've just planed my bathroom door, and even that isn't likely to become deplaned in the near future.

I've never heard of anyone debus, decar debicycle or for that matter deseat.

I suspect the kind of people who 'deplane' also 'breakfast' and watch as their garden 'greens'.

I'm afraid I'm not the kind of person who appreciates his noun being verbed.
Don't be silly. Deplane is a gorgeous word. It's delightful, it's delicious, it's de-lovely.

You object to folks who breakfast? What nonsense. If I can break wind behind a breakwind, I will permit myself to break fast at breakfast.

My Japanese garden greens ("aoru") ... Gorgeous! Just what the English language needs. Now where did I put my walkman ... ?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
De plane! De Plane!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: BA BD SA
It is a ghastly word. It implies that the speaker has previously planed, or perhaps even enplaned, which doesn't sound like a particularly pleasant experience. I've just planed my bathroom door, and even that isn't likely to become deplaned in the near future.

I've never heard of anyone debus, decar debicycle or for that matter deseat.

I suspect the kind of people who 'deplane' also 'breakfast' and watch as their garden 'greens'.

If you want that sort of logic in the English language then you are destined forever to be disappointed and irritated. Complain to the OED if you dislike it. My copy dates back several decades and lists "deplane". To make your misery worse it is both a transitive and an intransitive verb. (How's this to give one the willies: "The baggage handler deplaned my suitcase carelessly.")

It's not my favourite word either but that doesn't give me the right to declare it ungrammatical.

BTW, ever heard of "disembark"?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
BTW, ever heard of "disembark"?
Sure. But I prefer dat one.

FWIW - It seems that "emplane" is also a valid word. However, it appears to have gotten untalked.
http://letterstosg.com/deplane-no-tattoo-jokes
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
[OT]In India they invented the word 'prepone'. It means to do something earlier than intended. I argued several times this can never be or one should also be able to 'pone' something.... Ghastly.[/OT]
If you can postpone something, why should you not be able to prepone it?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
I'm sure you're all correct, but it still doesn't gruntle me very much.

And whilst I defend to the death your right to break fast at breakfast - or even to break wind at breakfast - I will not permit you to breakfast.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:10 am

You mean you don't like nouning....
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:14 am

Just a couple of questions to the OP.

Did your flight show "Go to B gates" on the screens in the lounges?

Did you ask the agent how to get to B gates, or did you ask if your flight X was departing from B gates, and how do I get there?

I should also point out that whilst I also have a dislike for the coaching departure process for premium customers, there is never an occasion when the flight is boarded by just one person from BA. There have to have been announcements as they are triggered automatically by the boarding information system.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I think that it is unfair to compare two products that are miles apart in price.

BA has a very good price/quality ratio. If you want the car and whatever else, please pay at least 50% more at LH. My guess is that tickets were not paid for from own pocket?
Not that it matters a hill of beans either way but yes I did pay for this-with my hard earned miles
But the treatment would have been the same regardless of the method of payment.

The flight on LH was also a milage redemption and cost fewer miles(120k v. 150k)than the normal BA F redemption-and the fees and taxes were much less the the exhorbitant $650usd per person that BA charges.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Raffles;12128561]
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Not that it matters a hill of beans either way but yes I did pay for this-with my hard earned miles
But the treatment would have been the same regardless of the method of payment.

The flight on LH was also a milage redemption and cost fewer miles(120k v. 150k)than the normal BA F redemption-and the fees and taxes were much less the the exhorbitant $650usd per person that BA charges.
But you do agree that the product is priced differently no? LH is on average 50% more expensive in F than BA when you pay with money for the ticket. That is the comparission you should make. Not the miles redemption. If you charge E3500 more for a LAX-EUR-LAX flight per F seat than you can throw in a car and so on. I rather keep the 3500 (or more).

Edit: let me rephrase. Suppose you had to this trip again and BA was 3500 euro per person and LH was 6900, which would you choose even with the same level of service as you experienced?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
Just a couple of questions to the OP.

Did your flight show "Go to B gates" on the screens in the lounges?

Did you ask the agent how to get to B gates, or did you ask if your flight X was departing from B gates, and how do I get there?

I should also point out that whilst I also have a dislike for the coaching departure process for premium customers, there is never an occasion when the flight is boarded by just one person from BA. There have to have been announcements as they are triggered automatically by the boarding information system.
Adrian it went down JUST as I described it-and I have a witness to back up my account.There might have been additional BA uniformed folks somwhere around gate A10-but the only person visable to anyone in the crowd was the one poor harried woman-and it was obvious that she was overwhelmed by all of this.The other folks behind the entrance were all id'd as security/control.

I inquired TWICE at the reception desk about our departure.The second time we asked about the flight and when we should depart the CCR for the B gates.Somewhere in the 15 minutes it took us to navigate to the B lounge reception the change happened.Could this happen-well sure(maybe)but it seems unlikely.
And the total abandoning of an F passengger at that point is where it starts to get ugly IMO.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Jul 27, 2009 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:30 am
Original Poster

let me put it this way(paraphrasing a MasterCard commercial)
Having your pasengers stand in the rain because noone thought to put a tarp up=Priceless
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:35 am

But you do agree that the product is priced differently no? LH is on average 50% more expensive in F than BA when you pay with money for the ticket. That is the comparission you should make. Not the miles redemption. If you charge E3500 more for a LAX-EUR-LAX flight per F seat than you can throw in a car and so on. I rather keep the 3500 (or more).

Edit: let me rephrase. Suppose you had to this trip again and BA was 3500 euro per person and LH was 6900, which would you choose even with the same level of service as you experienced?
I'm confused. The passenger was flying to London. It happens that the LH FRfare LAX - LHR is about $3000 less than the BA F1US fare from LAX. Not surprising, as there is a connection and BA can quite reasonably get away charging a premium for their nonstop.

If the passenger were making a connecting flight to NCE (I just happened to pick that since I'm there now) the A fare on LH (ARSN14E) is also about $3000 less than BA's A fare (ARCNA6N), whilst LH offers an FR fare about $7500 less than BA's F1US fare. Obviously, both these itineraries require a connection, so there's no real reason for one to be less than the other, other than the fact you get treated like a derelict for connecting in F in LHR, and treated like royalty on LH when connecting in FRA.

Even LH's FR fare to FRA is $3600 less than BA's F1US fare to FRA, although BA offers an ARCNA6N fare for about $2600 less than LH's FR fare. This surprised me, as I would have expected LH to charge more on a route to FRA

For the sake of comparison, these are all quoted from ExpertFlyer using fare search for a one week journey from LAX to LHR, NCE or FRA in September.

Is there something I'm missing?

edited to add: all the fares referenced in F were upwards of $15000 (well, LH's A fare to NCE was only $11000, but still), so I will be the first to admit that although I do occasionally buy F fares (usually ex-Argentina) I would never buy any of the ex-LAX fares I'm quoting. I just checked them because I agreed with h-baby that the cash fare charged should be relevant, but I also suspected that there would be some routes where BA F was cheaper than LH, and others where LH F was cheaper than BA. I was actually surprised to see almost a clean sweep with LH cheaper!

Last edited by Schultzois; Jul 27, 2009 at 11:43 am
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
let me put it this way(paraphrasing a MasterCard commercial)
Having your pasengers stand in the rain because noone thought to put a tarp up=Priceless
LOL

That could have (and has) happened at LH too though. Most notibly during a downpoor in BLR I can remember...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.