Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone else remember Dan Air?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BA
Like many on here, my first flight with Dan-air was a school trip to Austria (1977) from Manchester to Munich and back by BAC 1.11. The following year we did the same trip again, this time returning to Gatwick though, by Comet. I can still remember the feeling of disappointment as the coach took us from the terminal at Riem, past a company 727 to the Comet. Having already flown on a BEA Airtours Comet a few years previously, I was desperate to board my first 727. I don't remember much about the flights other than the fact that Dan air only sold chocolate on flights to Norway for some reason. I do remember my parents telling me they watched in horror at Manchester as the rear airstairs wouldn't retract fully and in the end, one mechanic sat on the shoulders of another and pushed the door shut. I have no reason to think this untrue . . . .

I also flew on the inaugural flight from London Gatwick to Manchester when Dan-air took over the service - on 23rd October 1988, operated by G-ATTP. Happy days!
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by BCALDavid; Jun 3, 2019 at 12:02 pm Reason: Dreadful Grammatical Errors
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:22 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Yes, I remember them well. Took a 1-11 from LGW to ARN in the very early 90s and at the time I was a licensed avionics engineer for a TPM that supported the 1-11 and 737. The plane I was on went tech in ARN just before we were due to come back and they announced that there would be a long delay as although a replacement LRU was available at ARN there was not someone there who could sign the plane off for quite a few hours (can't remember the reason why).

So I made myself known to the flight deck and they via the ground handling at ARN contacted Dan-Air at their Lasham (nicknamed "Lashup" in the industry) maintenance centre in the UK. They contacted my company and 45 minutes later I signed it off (we already had a call-off type contract for engineering support in place with Dan-Air). A very rewarding day in my job at the time ^
wrp96, Dubh and EDIwanderer like this.

Last edited by BOH; Jun 4, 2019 at 1:50 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:51 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Like many others I also flew on a Dan-Air Comet - this was on a school cruise trip around 1976-7-ish out to join the SS Uganda!

Not quite my first ever flight though, this was on a Convair CV990 Coronado 4-jet operated by Spantax from BOH to PMI in 1973 with my parents. Being one of the very early jet transport planes they belched black smoke on take-off and were colloquially known as "Sooty Spantax" during the days they operated the CV990
BCALDavid likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I certainly remember them. I might add that their Elite Class Business Class was scads better than BAs - separate cheese and desert course and little touches that made flying a pleasure. I recall going on a holiday to St Petersberg to cruise on Lake Ladoga in 1992. It was just the week that Britain crashed out of the precursor of the EMF - I flew on those 727-200 which still had the old JAL interiors. Soon after that, they were acquired by BA for a nominal £1 - they were choking in debt. The crew who came to BA were some of the best going. Anyoone who has dealt with charters can deal with anything. They arrived at BA - saw what BA were offering their passengers and thought that they had arrived in heaven. HI flew with them to MPL, VIE, GIB, and TLS and declared them excellent.

I recall that their maintenance base was at Lasham - can anyone confirm or deny that?
Indeed it was excellent ! I had my first taste of Borsin on Dan-Air and still love it and all cheeses !
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
My favourite job ever was working for Dan Air at ABZ. The fun, the challenges, the people were all unforgettable. I too have a Dan Air teaspoon at home - it must have been the thing to do back in the 80's.
I think we put a 33" pitch into ATTP and ATVH for the ABZ and NCL to LGW routes with large meal trays and 3 course meals - plus cheese! Many happy memories of such special times and people.
BOH, Silver Fox, rapidex and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
My first flight, ever, in 1983, was on our honeymoon from Gatwick to Corfu on a Dan Air 727. Having never flown before I was terrified.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I seem to remember sitting face to face with other passengers at the emergency exit row on a Dan Air BAC 1-11 flight to Lisbon. Am I going mad or did they really have seats facing each other?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
They did
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Flew with Dan-Air once, that I have recorded, in mid 1976. Had done a short spell down in Barry Docks laying up BP tankers that had been taken out of service and were waiting to be sold, and I was heading home. Had travelled down by train but was allowed to fly home so my routing was CWL-LBA-GLA. Unfortunately at that time I was only keeping note of my routing, airline and aircraft type were of no real interest.
I flew onto Aberdeen but cannot remember who that was with.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I don't think there's even a single event in this thread that took place in my lifetime. Flying before the internet sounds like a different world!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I still remember my last trip on Dan-Air. It was for a couple of days in Amsterdam in June 1992. At Gatwick, we duly went to the gate that had been displayed on the monitors, but there was no aircraft there. There had been a late gate change, involving hoofing most of the way across to the other end of the terminal - but fortunately, the aircraft waited.

It was also a memorable trip for being the victim of an attempt at a distraction theft. While sitting at an outdoor table at a cafe, someone came to one side of me, showed me a map and asked me incomprehensibly for directions. His accomplice was on the other side, trying to rummage in and then make off with my backpack. Fortunately, some kind people on the next table saw this and shouted, and they ran off without taking the bag. Some lessons you never forget, although I get frustrated when friends refuse to heed the advice that I'm giving from personal experience.

Less than 6 months later, Dan-Air was no more.

I had done one previous trip on Dan-Air about a year before. A week's break on some island in the Canaries, taken there and back by a charter flight. But I really don't remember anything about that trip now!
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Flying before the internet was interesting. You got a paper ticket with about a million pages, mostly a description of your rights should the plane crash as I recall. At check-in you would get a boarding pass too. Onboard there were smoking sections and non-smoking sections, although the latter was essentially meaningless because the smoke just circulated, so you got off smelling of smoke. Long haul, you got a film projected onto the bulkhead, with pneumatic earpieces, that is to say a sort of stethoscope arrangement to hear the sound, there were a few more audio channels but that was about it for the IFE, so people read books mostly.

The most significant change the internet brought though - and this was before mobile boarding passes - was that a couple of weeks away meant that the first thing you asked your taxi driver for was a summary of the news, because you had no idea what had been happening, and keeping up with news from home was often difficult at hotel phone rates.

I got sufficiently inspired by this thread to start entering historic data into my flight info (link in the sig), and have been progressing through the years for which I have email confirmations, that started in about 2008 roughly speaking. And I actually did find a copy of the Clarksons Greece 1971 brochure from which my very first flight was booked.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Sure do, from ABZ
JamieABZ likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by BOH
Like many others I also flew on a Dan-Air Comet - this was on a school cruise trip around 1976-7-ish out to join the SS Uganda!
Dan Air ticket up thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31161295-post85.html) was positioning flight for Nevasa school trip.Flew back to UK on BOAC VC-10 from Naples.

Originally Posted by BOH
Not quite my first ever flight though, this was on a Convair CV990 Coronado 4-jet operated by Spantax from BOH to PMI in 1973 with my parents. Being one of the very early jet transport planes they belched black smoke on take-off and were colloquially known as "Sooty Spantax" during the days they operated the CV990
Ah, Spantax. I remember flying in their DC 3s in the late 60's between PMI and IBZ and MAH - the days before the 'big' planes from UK could land at the two smaller islands.Boarded at back of aircraft, whilst baggage was 'secured' by mesh webbing between cockpit and passenger cabin. I seem to remember wearing a glass of orange juice on one inter-island flight due to turbulence.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I seem to remember sitting face to face with other passengers at the emergency exit row on a Dan Air BAC 1-11 flight to Lisbon. Am I going mad or did they really have seats facing each other?
You're not mad: here's proof that Court Line/Clarksons did (and I think Monarch did too): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31160387&postcount=75

Last edited by mlafqtv; Jun 7, 2019 at 3:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.