Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
If you see any new ex-UK sales please update here.
Print Wikipost

Current Fare Sales [ex UK]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
The only possible reason is that they must be really struggling to fill their premium cabins otherwise there is no way they would be discounted again so soon, why would they? I have never seen J and F fare so cheap EX-UK.... Are their constant cost cuts starting to bite them?
Actually I think they are a bit more intelligent than that.

If you look at the sale pattern over the last few years (http://blog.continentalclub.co.uk/of...-fare-archive/), it's reasonably easy to estimate when a sale might pop up. Last year, the sale which ended on 19th May, was followed by a sale commencing 21st May!

In effect, these 'sale' prices are becoming the 'normal' price BA are selling seats for. People wait for sales, defer purchases from other airlines in anticipation of a sale etc. I am sure IAG do their sums, do their research, and make a pretty packet during these BA sales. And the tickets sold outside of the sale period...even better.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by theonlytk
However with the price itself it still seems odd - the almost £1200 were there before and after the sale (makes sense if as you say NCL-LAX isn't a sale fare but LHR-LAX is). Even before the sale thought it was around £950 from LHR to LAX and £1250 from NCL, effectively still charging me £300 for that connecting flight - sale or no sale. I am sure that for the last 5 years or so that I have flown to the US via LHR I have never paid more than £100 or so for a connecting flight even during non-sale times.
I've had a quick look at the fares in force on 12 June.

The £950 ex-LHR price was actually also a sale fare, although those fares have now been superseded by the marketed sale fares that have been filed today.

However, as far as I can see the fare from NCL should have been the same then as it is today. There doesn't seem to have been any change to those. So the difference between the ex-LHR fare and the ex-NCL fare should have been much smaller on 12 June.

I did one further exercise, to compare the non-sale fares from both airports.

If you price the ex-LHR trip using the lowest non-sale fare, it would be a total of £1,250.65 all in. In contrast, the lowest ex-NCL trip is £1,151.50. The fare basis for both prices is the same (TLX8S4C1), so the conditions of those two fares are broadly the same. So if one compares like to like, it's not as obvious that non-London starts are being penalised. The difference probably really consists of the more ready availability of sale (or tactical) fares for London starts.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:28 pm

It appears these sale fares come with a bit extra on the side - enhanced part pay with avios (at 1p per Avios):

Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Virazuno
It appears these sale fares come with a bit extra on the side - enhanced part pay with avios (at 1p per Avios):

I preferred the 700gbp one...
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
I got a CW rtn for something like £490 using that. Please do it again, BA.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Virazuno
I got a CW rtn for something like £490 using that. Please do it again, BA.
The 200GBP for Y/W one that ran at the sale time as 700GBP for J/F saved me a ton.

130GBP return to YYZ and only costing 5000 avios if you were gold
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So did i got LHR-BOM for £450 in J
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:09 am

Good morning fellow european frequent flyers and TP runners.

When I learned yesterday about the new BA sale, I immediately started digging around with my usual routes and tools (unfortunately I missed the previous window).
However I'm a bit surprised by what BA now calls promo fares. Anyone else disappointed? Compared to some of last year's sales, I don't see any North American routes below 1000 euro?
Americans seems to be favoured these days looking at the price war between AA, *A and ST.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by StanStorby

Compared to some of last year's sales, I don't see any North American routes below 1000 euro?
Assuming you mean Business class (J) fares, sub €1k is unusual and (unless you mean pre tax), I don't recall an ex UK ones (apart from the crazy Christmas 2014 sale).

there were / are some sub £1k Eastcoast fares (e.g. CPH NYC) but as said, I wouldn't expect to see many / any sub €1k J fares to the US.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
Assuming you mean Business class (J) fares, sub €1k is unusual and (unless you mean pre tax), I don't recall an ex UK ones (apart from the crazy Christmas 2014 sale).

there were / are some sub £1k Eastcoast fares (e.g. CPH NYC) but as said, I wouldn't expect to see many / any sub €1k J fares to the US.
I was indeed quite happy/euphoric travelling to BOS last March from DUB (through LHR and CLT) in J for 923 EUR all taxes included.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Managed £500 off a £1k HEL-LHR-IAD over Easter, so it's definitely possible. But rare!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:34 am

East coast ex DUB was available for sub £800 not so long ago - MIA was sub £700! I believe that is what is being referred to.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:04 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Armodeen
East coast ex DUB was available for sub £800 not so long ago - MIA was sub £700! I believe that is what is being referred to.
Yes, but the pound was much stronger against the Euro then - about 1.41. Now it's 1.25 and sinking. It's one of the reasons why many of these ex-LON fares are attractive.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Armodeen
Indeed, I collected those fares a smidge over £700 for CW to MIA ex-eu. In fact the CW ticket price was cheaper than the same ticketed price for WT! Was hunting for some YYZ deals in Aug next year but not much to be had
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by oktane
Indeed, I collected those fares a smidge over £700 for CW to MIA ex-eu. In fact the CW ticket price was cheaper than the same ticketed price for WT! Was hunting for some YYZ deals in Aug next year but not much to be had
Yes I payed £740 CW to Mia ex-eu over this xmas absolutely crazy price would love some similar prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.