Wiki Posts
Search

BA offer for US based Flyertalkers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Cholula
Appreciate the assurances but I need to be 100% sure of getting seats together prior to booking.
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
I could rephrase that to "there are remarkably few reports around here of people who OLCI at T-24 not getting two seats together" if it makes you feel more comfortable....
The irony, of course, is that even US airlines that like to pre-allocate virtually the whole cabin - making life difficult for those who book later - still have seat-shifters to make sure that there is no "100% sure of getting seats together".
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Looks like a nice deal, and I would definitely do it in WT+ or CW if I lived in the US. If it comes to France, Belgium or Holland at the same price or less I will likely buy in.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The irony, of course, is that even US airlines that like to pre-allocate virtually the whole cabin - making life difficult for those who book later - still have seat-shifters to make sure that there is no "100% sure of getting seats together".
Well, let's put it another way.

I've got about 3 million BIS miles on DL, have flown them for 40 years, have always pre-selected my seats and have never not received the seats I've personally selected.

So while the DL system may not be 100% certain, it's certainly close enough for my needs.

I'm not about to pay a couple thousand $$'s on BA and then enter a seat grab lottery 24 hours before departure.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if you are flying BA CW, does it really matter what seat you get? REALLY? I know I prefer 64K, but I manage to sleep just fine in any CW seat. And since I usually sleep most of the flight, it's not the end of the world if my travel partner(s) aren't next to me.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Cholula
I'm not about to pay a couple thousand $$'s on BA and then enter a seat grab lottery 24 hours before departure.
It's not a lottery. That's what we're trying to tell you.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Given the fact that the seats in question are in W -- not as gold/silver heavy as CW -- many people will not have pre-allocated prior to T-24 hrs.

I'm a blue -- so can't pre-allocate -- and have never not been able to have two seats together -- including one window seat -- even when I've checked in some hours after T-24.

In fact, as already mentioned, pre-allocation by US-based airlines sometimes means less choice on offer if you buy your seats nearer departure.

Having said that, there is no 100% guarantee, and each person has to determine their own priorities, so I certainly won't bewail you the choice.

tb
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:32 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Hi,
If I'm not a BAEC member, can I enroll in BAEC and earn Tier points in WT+ with this offer?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aau
Hi,
If I'm not a BAEC member, can I enroll in BAEC and earn Tier points in WT+ with this offer?
Yes. You would earn 150 TP for the return journey.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Does the flight have to end in LHR? Or can it continue on to other cities.

I'm talking SEA-LHR-(EVN)-TBS-(EVN)-LHR-SEA where the TBS legs are sold as BA or BD on BD metal. The reason I would want to put it all on one record is for protection on the 1:45 layover on the outbound and the 2:10 layover on the return if something goes wrong.

Also, I am AA EXP (Emerald). Is there some twisting I can do with this so that I can get pre-assigned seats?

I used to be BA Gold flying this route, and I still fly to TBS just as much now. But after 25% coach credit (yes, we pay coach prices) and rigid fees and policies, I fled and haven't looked back, and have been using AA-SEA-ORD-LHR-(EVN)-TBS-(EVN)-LHR-ORD-SEA. I get AA EVIP upgrades to business. I'd like to try BA again, because it cuts out a leg and save HOURS. But policies and prices have got in the way. Hoping this one might work for a change.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Nonsense In the 21 years I have been a AA flyer I can count on one hand the number of times I have difficulty getting seats with a companion even after relatively late bookings.

I really have no clue how the BA system works and I dont really dont care to learn the procedure since most of my flights are limited to European short hops ( when seating is relatively not that important) ...but put it you that your knowledge of US carriers seating policies/procedure is substantially less than mine of BA dance

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Feb 6, 2009 at 7:27 pm
Old Feb 7, 2009, 12:40 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
You don't give AA miles to Yanks, no thanks
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
It's not a lottery. That's what we're trying to tell you.
The problem is, people do not believe it. Or do not want to have to arrange their lives around OLCI at exactly 24 hours before flying. I cannot tell you how many people it puts off BA. And the sooner BA realise it, through seeing people turning down excellent prices like this because of the seating policy, the better, frankly. I still do not accept that you cannot protect the interest of full fare or FF passengers through blocking seats until OLCI.

The point with AA, etc is that, although seat availability can be bad later on, at least you KNOW when you are booking what the state of play is when you book.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Just saw this posting while waiting for Mrs. Italy as she was shopping. Came home and did the BAEC registration and am now patiently waiting, and waiting, and waiting for my confirmation email from BA. How long should it take to send the activation link so we can make reservations? Thx
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last time I checked, the American BA EC didn't work on the weekends. So maybe Monday?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
The last time I checked, the American BA EC didn't work on the weekends. So maybe Monday?
Oh well, the story of my life, a day late and one dollar short Guess I will have to wait until the next BA offer. Thanks for the insight :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.