Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BA4EVER
I'm landing in T3 on Friday night around 9PM, and camping out at the Sofitel at T5.

What's the better bet:

1.) Clear immigration at T3 and take HEX to T5

2.) Take airside transfer bus to T5 and clear immigration there?

EU citizen.
Do you have an onward flight from T5?
You normally need an onward boarding pass for T5 to be able to take the airside transfer bus, so failing that, clearing immigration at T3 and taking the HEX could be your only option.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KARFA
No. You need to reclear security at T5 if you are doing an INT-INT connection.

The only advice I can give to help is that if you are arriving at T5B or C and your flight departs from B or C you can go through security there rather than go all the way to T5A and then come back. You will only know your arriving and departing gates on the day. Both B and C have their own flight connections areas. Here are some guides to both;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-service.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ial-guide.html
Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I was loking for! The picture guide is virtually foolproof. Interestingly, if you follow the herds you automatically get into T5A transit.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abfab
Do you have an onward flight from T5?
You normally need an onward boarding pass for T5 to be able to take the airside transfer bus, so failing that, clearing immigration at T3 and taking the HEX could be your only option.
No you don't. There is no bp check to ride the airside buses between T5 and T3. I have done something like this myself last year - I arrived at T3 from HEL, took the airside transfer bus, and then exited the border at T5.

If you got the airside bus from T3 to T5 the point where you have a check of your bp is by the BA agent at T5 FCC if you were doing a conenction on to an international or domestic flight, but that wouldn't apply here as BA4EVER is heading to the border not the connections part of FCC.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by fradoc
Is there a possibility to avoid T5A security if arriving from FRA and connecting to the U.S.?
I assume that connecting international>international requires security. Is there such as a decentral security at T5B or T5C? Normally I use fast track and the lounges at T5A, but I wonder if in case of a tight connection T5A can be bypassed.
You can only go through the security check at T5C if you arrive at T5C, or at T5B if you arrive at either T5B or at T5C.
No you don't. There is no bp check to ride the airside buses between T5 and T3. I have done something like this myself last year - I arrived at T3 from HEL, took the airside transfer bus, and then exited the border at T5.

If you got the airside bus from T3 to T5 the point where you have a check of your bp is by the BA agent at T5 FCC if you were doing a conenction on to an international or domestic flight, but that wouldn't apply here as BA4EVER is heading to the border not the connections part of FCC.
There are two possible obstacles. One is the purple suits do sometimes ask to see onward travel documents before allowing access to the buses, and the other is that this could not of course be done with checked luggage.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm landing in T3 on Friday night around 9PM, and camping out at the Sofitel at T5.
That is indeed correct, two caveats however: obviously this is not of benefit to anyone with checked luggage for LHR collection, since that would be delivered to T3 rather than T5. The other caveat is that the airside bus service seems to tail off around 9:30pm or so. The Abuja flight is around 22:40, there's a 90 minute MCT and even allowing for a few delays there shouldn't be many passengers after 21:00 hrs. But the OP can give it a try and if it has closed down for the night then still go landside, but if the flight is late then I wouldn't bother going airside.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:24 am

Yes, sorry I forgot about the checked luggage issue. I have become so used to travelling without checked luggage over the last year I keep forgetting some people regualarly do check bags!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by stifle
There are two possible obstacles. One is the purple suits do sometimes ask to see onward travel documents before allowing access to the buses, and the other is that this could not of course be done with checked luggage.
For the first obstable, if that is encountered when doing T3 to T5 (I must admit I haven't experienced teh bp check myself) then just say you have a connecting flight on BA and that you need to collect your bp at the service desks near T5 FCC. They should allow you to proceed.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
Sounds like the bus could be a hassle, then. I've never used the HEX from T3. Is it as simple as T1, (are those the stations that are connected?) I could also just grab a taxi.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:44 am

Sounds like the bus could be a hassle, then. I've never used the HEX from T3. Is it as simple as T1, (are those the stations that are connected?) I could also just grab a taxi.
Your options are HEX or the tube, both go from T123 (I should really stop saying T1!) to T5. The HEX stop you used for T1 is the same one you would use here, there is only one HEX stop in the central terminal area.

The HEX runs every 15 minutes, is free, and doesn't require a payment card. The tube is free as well and runs more frequently, but does require an oyster or contactless payement card. You tag in and out when using the tube but there is no charge.

In terms of picking the tube or HEX the one thing I am not sure about is whether the tube stop or HEX stop are closer to where you come out in T3. I have a feeling the HEX is a lot closer so may be more convenient.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
T3 is just as simple as T1 for HEX, just a little bit more walking, you also have the tube which runs more frequently and would be my choice at that hour. Taxi is the sort of thing only foreigners do (once).
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
A black-taxi driver asked to travel between two terminals will be extremely annoyed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
We have three of us arriving LHR on three different flights. Two of us come into T5 on BA and one comes in on AA T3. All the flights arrive more or less at the same time.

We will all take the tube into the city from LHR.

My question is where the two of us should meet up with the chap coming in T3 on AA??? Do we go to him at T3 or should he come to us at T5? Or should we meet somewhere else?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by geo1005
We will all take the tube into the city from LHR.

My question is where the two of us should meet up with the chap coming in T3 on AA??? Do we go to him at T3 or should he come to us at T5? Or should we meet somewhere else?
T5 is the end of the Piccadilly line. So, your tube from T5 towards London will next pass through the central T2/T3 tube station. It would therefore seem a little mean to ask your other friend to come to T5, only to then go back again...

If you all have phones that work and are sensibly priced in the UK, meeting in the underground station at (T1/)T2/T3 seems your best bet, assuming you'll be there roughly the same time. If not, first one(s) out go sit in a cafe, then only get the tube when the other(s) are ready
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by geo1005
In a way it's a shame you're not going via the Heathrow Express, since you could all meet in any of a number of cafs and watering holes in Paddington.

All T5 tube trains pass through the same platform of T3, so that would be one option, I can't see much going wrong with that. The other option would be Caff Nero in the arrivals area of T3, on the right hand side after exiting landside, and next to Boots.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by stifle
A black-taxi driver asked to travel between two terminals will be extremely annoyed.
I wouldn't have the chutzpah to ask, personally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.