Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: 1K no more
T5 Overnight Layover Hotel Suggestions?

Greetings FTers, I hardly fly anymore and therefore hardly ever post but I have a quick question about LHR T5.

I arrive T5 on BA479 from BCN on an April Sunday 1:05PM and "connect" to BA217 to IAD on MONDAY at 9:40AM (also T5?). Is there a mini-bed for rent within the terminal? Is there an airport hotel with a free shuttle that you recommend? Do you recommend this course of action or should I try to make a quick visit to London for the balance of Sunday?

Your advice would be welcome.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Definitely go into London!

I'd book the Sofitel T5 which is attached to T5 via a covered walkway. Check in there, dump your stuff, take the Heathrow Express or Piccadilly Line to London, spend all afternoon there, have a nice meal, maybe go watch a play, then return to Heathrow and you'll be in the right place for the 217 the next morning

Other hotels require an overpriced shuttle bus.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: 1K no more
Originally Posted by BA6501
Definitely go into London!

I'd book the Sofitel T5 which is attached to T5 via a covered walkway. Check in there, dump your stuff, take the Heathrow Express or Piccadilly Line to London, spend all afternoon there, have a nice meal, maybe go watch a play, then return to Heathrow and you'll be in the right place for the 217 the next morning

Other hotels require an overpriced shuttle bus.
Thank you for the great advice!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:11 pm

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
I'm going to arrive at T1 on a shorthaul and depart 1:50h later at T5 (probably T5C) for a longhaul. Which transit is faster? Landside + Tube or Airside + Bus?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
I'm going to arrive at T1 on a shorthaul and depart 1:50h later at T5 (probably T5C) for a longhaul. Which transit is faster? Landside + Tube or Airside + Bus?
From T1 domestic/RoI it's probably 50/50 (you didn't suggest HEX, but if you know your HEX timetable that particularly would assist). Difference is unlikely to be more than 5 to 10 minutes so it's not worth going mad on the issue.

T1 international to T5, definitely faster than going landside / passports etc. The service frequency on the airside bus is greater than either the tube or HEX. Once T2 is finished that advantage would be only greater. 40 minutes from T1 to T5 gate to gate is perfectly possible airside.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:56 am

Access to Sofitel T5

Please forgive me if I missed the answer in other posts. However, after reading through this thread, and the dashboard, I've clearly missed the answer to my question, below.

I'd like to find specific directions to the Sofitel at T5 LHR. Upon arriving from the US, and clearing customs, reclaiming bags, and visiting arrivals lounge, what level must I go to and where to find the covered walkway to the Sofitel?

It appears to be adjacent to the North side of T5, and I can see the walkway in Google Earth, but I've not been successful locating specific directions. Not wanting to turn up without a clue, I would be grateful for specific directions from the arrivals lounge area. I know the lounge staff would doubtless assist me, but I'd rather be informed.

Many thanks for your help!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The Sofitel is very clearly signed so you don't need a lot of instructions. From the Arrivals Lounge I would use the lift to drop down to the main Arrival level, then head northwards (there are hanging banners which tell you where north is) towards Marks and Spencer. The lift to the Sofitel is on the left hand side, then there's a slightly irksome (in terms of length) passage way to the the hotel itself. You really can't miss it.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bucknjeff
I would be grateful for specific directions from the arrivals lounge area.
Come out of the Arrivals Lounge and take the lift that's in front of you up to departures/check-in level. Turn left then left so that you're walking north, and then follow the signs.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Sofitel is very clearly signed so you don't need a lot of instructions. From the Arrivals Lounge I would use the lift to drop down to the main Arrival level, then head northwards (there are hanging banners which tell you where north is) towards Marks and Spencer. The lift to the Sofitel is on the left hand side, then there's a slightly irksome (in terms of length) passage way to the the hotel itself. You really can't miss it.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Come out of the Arrivals Lounge and take the lift that's in front of you up to departures/check-in level. Turn left then left so that you're walking north, and then follow the signs.

Many thanks for your swift and most helpful replies!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:28 am

I should point out that Globaliser and I have given 2 different routes, both valid. Mine involved Arrivals downstairs, his uses Departures upstairs, both will work.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 am

I should point out that Globaliser and I have given 2 different routes, both valid. Mine involved Arrivals downstairs, his uses Departures upstairs, both will work.
So kind of you to highlight that. I did read and study both routes. It's nice to have options should one of the routes be especially congested.

Again, many thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I can't tell you how much I'm laughing at this!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Hello - we're using 'pod parking' on Saturday ... will be very early in the morning (going to ARN) and we'll be coming off the M25 from the north. Is it pretty 'idiot proof' to find?

Need to make sure I leave enough time for some brekkie in Giraffe!

Cheers
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by bucknjeff
Please forgive me if I missed the answer in other posts. However, after reading through this thread, and the dashboard, I've clearly missed the answer to my question, below.

I'd like to find specific directions to the Sofitel at T5 LHR. Upon arriving from the US, and clearing customs, reclaiming bags, and visiting arrivals lounge, what level must I go to and where to find the covered walkway to the Sofitel?

It appears to be adjacent to the North side of T5, and I can see the walkway in Google Earth, but I've not been successful locating specific directions. Not wanting to turn up without a clue, I would be grateful for specific directions from the arrivals lounge area. I know the lounge staff would doubtless assist me, but I'd rather be informed.

Many thanks for your help!
Just to add to the above comprehensive answers, note that customs is after baggage reclaim.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Hello - we're using 'pod parking' on Saturday ... will be very early in the morning (going to ARN) and we'll be coming off the M25 from the north. Is it pretty 'idiot proof' to find?
Have you Google Mapped it? When you reach the end of the M25 T5 spur road, take a left at the roundabout, and Pod Parking is a short distance on the left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.