Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The SCOOBY DOOBY DO! (aka Midweek London) - Thursday 23 August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SCOOBY DOOBY DO! (aka Midweek London) - Thursday 23 August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
I'm in.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:52 am

Would absolutely love to, but can't commit 100% due to work etc... So I am a definitely probably possible. I think
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:08 am

Been a while since my last BA Do. MCS?, count me in as a probable, please ... subject to work travel.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by krug
I am so flying to LA the next day, so you must promise not to get me too drunk!
[/URL]
He might ... after that quip I can't !
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:46 am

I'll try to make if I'm not too jetlagged after my arrival back from hols early on Weds morning (hopefully will get some sleep on the UD on QF). Put me down as a probable please.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Hmmm... is everyone who is coming planning on making it an early night?

I was thinking of flying in on Thursday afternoon just in time for dinner, making it a long night and flying back to Frankfurt at 06:25am on Friday, taking the first HEx at 05:10. If I do it that way, Lufty will charge me the bargain basement price of 60 quid all-in.

I don't much fancy doing that if I'll be the only one out past midnight though.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Count me in! And I also recommend Wong Kei. Service is surly to say the least, but that's part of its charm.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by alex0683de

Just trying to book the following day off work

... Argh as it's the Bank Holiday on Monday everybody else has beaten me to it .... time to prebook a sickie
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
I have updated the OP with drinks and dinner details

Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
Would absolutely love to, but can't commit 100% due to work etc... So I am a definitely probably possible. I think
Work? WORK?!?! Rubbish excuse. You'll be there.

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I'll try to make if I'm not too jetlagged after my arrival back from hols early on Weds morning (hopefully will get some sleep on the UD on QF). Put me down as a probable please.
Poor, in fact, shocking excuse. You'll be there.

In Germany? Humm, better excuse It's hard to say to be honest. Certainly, midweek DOs do tend to finish earlier than the weekend extravaganzas. I can't envisage it going on much after midnight....
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
To be honest Alex, the midweek Do's tend to finish around 11pm-midnight due it being a school night. You might be lucky in finding one or two people to carry on, but I wouldn't count on it. If you're planning to not get a hotel (it sounds like you're planning an all-nighter) then you might be taking a risk to be honest, much as I don't want to put you off coming.

Does the Hoxton £1 deal line up with this Do?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by PhilH
Does the Hoxton £1 deal line up with this Do?
Or maybe the Travelodge £15 one?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:18 am
jhm

Originally Posted by krug
Can I suggest Wong Kei's in Wardour Street; this has been a DO feature before - it is exceptionally inexpensive, has no trouble accommodating large groups without a reservation and personally I think the food rather good. It is also staggering distance from our usual All Bar One.
Why ???

Wong Kei may have a reputation for rudeness (quite why that's attractive to some I don't know) and it's okay for a one dish meal (the few times I've been) ... but you can do a lot better elsewhere in Chinatown!

I agree that it's quite inexpensive but surely this isn't a material consideration for all or most of the people attending ?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Count me in! And I also recommend Wong Kei. Service is surly to say the least, but that's part of its charm.
Whilst I think the Wonky reputation for bad service is probably overdone, it is not really a place to linger over a meal. The food is mostly very good, but - as a regular over the years - it's not the sort of place you go to enjoy the full dining experience. More of a pop in, order/eat/pay/go sort of place. Whilst I fully side with those who post that they like the place, it may be a bit of a culture shock to those that are used to the more obsequious style of service that you encounter in many UK Chinese restaurants. So MCS? take some guidance from others on BAEC FT before committing.

BAAZ, Krug, others - not disagreeing with you about Wonky's charms, but for an FT Do?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by jhm
Why ???

Wong Kei may have a reputation for rudeness (quite why that's attractive to some I don't know) and it's okay for a one dish meal (the few times I've been) ... but you can do a lot better elsewhere in Chinatown!
Yes, wot he said!

BTW, I'm in MCS? +1

JS
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
As those that know me will appreciate, chinese restaurants are not my strongpoint! Let's leave Wong Kei there as an option, but I am certainly open to other, better, suggestions....

Where was the Chinese place we all went to after PhilH's DO back in Oct/Nov '05?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.