Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U-Turn on seating policy!!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by OPebble
I thought from watching "Airport" - well I needed some laughs - that there is a ruling applicable to all airlines that children under 12 (?) had to be seated next to a parent. However there is no ruling that a family has to be seated together and two children and parents may be completely separated but each child will have a parent at hand.
BA didn't seem to think so. In the lounge they said there was a note saying my daughter was not an unaccompanied minor, but had not actually been allocated a seat beside my wife and I who were assigned seats in the middle.
Old May 19, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
From the CAA website

CAA guidelines ask airlnes to develop procedures for the seat allocation of family groups, particularly when a group includes children. It is probable that family group members would seek each other out should an emergency evacuation be required, an action that could adversely affect the rapid evacuation of the aircraft. Children should be seated where they can be adequately supervised by an accompanying adult in the event of turbulence or a decompression in the cabin.

Children, accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult.

In wide-bodied aircraft, children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults.
Old May 19, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
And here we are:

TRAVEL INSIDER; Seat assignment? Oh, there's a fee for that

A colleague and her husband, flying from Chicago to Rome, decided to upgrade to British Airways' World Traveller Plus, a sort of business class lite that gave them more legroom and larger seats than an economy-class fare.

What they didn't get for their $567 extra: an assigned seat. That perk is reserved for passengers paying full fare (theirs was a discounted ticket), elite members of the airline's frequent-flier program and a long list of other exceptions.

Increasingly, what used to be free for fliers will cost them, and the assigned seat may be going the way of the rubber chicken airline meal.

[deleted]

British Airways could take a lesson from Air Canada's example. During booking on BA's website, for instance, there is no indication that an advance seat assignment is not included in the upgrade price to World Traveller Plus. My colleague tried to get a seat assignment and learned she had to check in 24 hours in advance; only then was a seat assignment available and only on a first-come, first-served basis.

I searched on BA.com and could not find which fares came with advance seating assignments. Other international carriers, including Lufthansa, Alitalia and Air France, offer advance seat assignments at the time of booking.

"The seating policy is evolving," BA spokesman John Lampl said of the airline's policy, which has been in effect for six months (and can be found at www.ba.com/seating ).

"The idea is to give something to our best customers," said Lampl -- that is, those who pay higher fares and are frequent travelers on British Airways.

The business reason behind the policy may be sound, but the execution may leave travelers puzzled.

"Airlines should disclose what you get when you buy this category," Harteveldt said.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ect=RD_seating

BA seating policy showing fare classes available for pre assignment. I agree it could be much clearer though, but then again, their attitude is always to over-promise and under-deliver.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:20 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I am OW Emerald traveling in F, and my partner is on the some of the same flights in Y with no status. Does the seating policy for pax on the same flight, but different PNRs apply (ie can he select seats) or is it solely for both pax traveling in the same cabin?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I am OW Emerald traveling in F, and my partner is on the some of the same flights in Y with no status. Does the seating policy for pax on the same flight, but different PNRs apply (ie can he select seats) or is it solely for both pax traveling in the same cabin?
No you won't be able to choose a seat for the other passenger. They could choose their own if they are in the right booking class....which would be Y in Y.

Last edited by HIDDY; Jun 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm Reason: '
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:31 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
No you won't be able to choose a seat for the other passenger. They could choose their own if they are in the right booking class....which would be Y in Y.
Thanks HIDDY. In that case I'll fork out the cash.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Thanks HIDDY. In that case I'll fork out the cash.
Remember that they can't pre-select exit row seats even on a Y fare. You can also pay for early seat selection (except exit rows) on a discounted fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.