Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by aristoph
I don't work for BA so I don't see why my "attitude" is an advert for anything or anyone? I thought I was stating the obvious - every regular on this board knew there was a high risk of a strike in the first quarter of this year. If they booked non-refundable tickets with BA for this period then I can only imagine they don't really need to go wherever they were headed or else a rational person would have booked with a different carrier. Ordinary travellers are a different story of course but that isn't whom I was addressing.
Yes I agree, sorry if my post sounded like I was accusing YOU, I didn't mean it like that, I was more trying to show how BA can't be relied upon, because of the militant tendencies that are evidently now within all departments.

I was also making the point that we shouldn't have to think before booking BA, but i agree we do. I apologize if it seemed as if I was accusing you personally of making a stupid point -you are quite right! BA shouldn't be selling tickets if there is going to be a strike! But then again, it's not as if they are going to stop selling them.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by The Saint
Care to identify the last time BA cabin crew went on strike?
I am not talking about CABIN CREW specifically -it makes no difference to me whether it is cabin services, baggage handling, their subcontractors such as Gate Gourmet, it all has the same result -disruption and discrediting the airline. The public will not diferentiate, they will see it as BA, as opposed to BA cabin crew. Maybe it sounds heartless and cold, but then again it is a fact. As far as my concern is based is, I want to get from A to B, and it makes no difference to me who, within BA, stops me from getting there.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ajax
Well... actually I don't agree. BA aren't losing money hand over fist (like some/most major US carriers) and don't have a massive need to conserve cash. In fact, they have been very profitable in recent years, and mid-year results from 9/2006 showed net profit margin of 6.7% - the highest in 10 years. WW wants to leave his mark and, boy, will he ever.

Well, yes.

I don't think it's as simple as that. First of all, which airline? BMI? ThomsonFly? Second, I believe that many BA cabin crew love their jobs and really don't want to leave. Didn't WW say something like "there is no compromise; our way is the only way."? If so, that's an awfully risky management strategy, especially when you're the new guy. Looks like his bad karma's coming back to bite him in the a**e.

Again, I believe that WW said "It's my way, or the highway." Seems like drastic action is the only type he's able to respond to.
At the end of the day, the crew aren't paid to make choices about whether they accept the board's decision to save 10%, they are employed to do their specific job, and let WW worry about everything else. I suppose that you don't agree they need to save money, which is fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I'm really quite tired of all the crypto-capitalist nonsense in this thread. Taken to its logical conclusion this would welcome back slavery, sweat shops and children up chimneys? If they don't like it, they can always go and work somewhere else.
Even more surprising is that at the same time most people are not keen on FR either (who are the ones actually practicing much of what seems to be advocated here).
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
One of the main reasons that it is unfair (and completely unrealistic) to expect workers to just up and leave and get a new job is many of them will have invested heavily in their pension with BA and have employment protection because of their length of service. Both of these would be lost or jeopardised if they were to leave to go to new jobs.
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
it's different, African miners can't really get another job, BA crew can if they want to.
I believe there's a valid reason why airline cabin crew (and tech crew) cannot be expected simply to up and leave and get another job. One of the irreplaceable things that you acquire with most airlines is seniority. It (almost) runs your life. And the instant you leave, for whatever reason, you usually wave goodbye to all the seniority you've ever earned with the airline.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:07 am

Care to identify the last time BA cabin crew went on strike?
That is a distinction without a difference, like the Judean People's Liberation Front or the People's Liberation Front of Judea .

Last edited by Disco Volante; Jan 15, 2007 at 11:13 am Reason: A stray comma
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
That is a distinction without a difference, like the Judean People's Liberation Front or, the People's Liberation Front of Judea .
I beg to disagree. When a company suffers a lot of strikes, but the people striking are not always the same people, I would be pointing the finger at the people involved in all of the strikes: the Roma... er, the management.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by irmster
R5 just reported there was 'cheers and applause' by BA staff at the union meeting when the result was announced. Didn't know going on strike was a reason for such merriment.
I've just seen a report on BBC News and the BBC had cameras at the trade union meeting, and whilst some people did jump out of the seats and cheer when the result was announced, from what I saw they were all at the front, so this could have been planned for the TV cameras.

Unsurprisingly, the report had interviews with BA cabin crew and trade union reps, but no spokesperson from BA on camera. Another shining media performance from BA.

One point from the report is that 5 members of staff (I can't recall if the report said they were all cabin crew) have been dismissed for poor attendance under the new sickness policy.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I am not talking about CABIN CREW specifically -it makes no difference to me whether it is cabin services, baggage handling, their subcontractors such as Gate Gourmet, it all has the same result -disruption and discrediting the airline. The public will not diferentiate, they will see it as BA, as opposed to BA cabin crew. Maybe it sounds heartless and cold, but then again it is a fact. As far as my concern is based is, I want to get from A to B, and it makes no difference to me who, within BA, stops me from getting there.
Ok, I understand now. All the criticism of the cabin crew on this and other threads is premised on the understanding that cabin crew, baggage handlers and gate gourmet contractors are to be regarded as synonymous. So if the baggage handlers have had a dispute with BA over something, that disqualifies the cabin crew from having a dispute.

Perhaps you might direct at least some of your opprobrium instead at the management team that appears so spectacularly to have unified one sector of its workforce in such opposition to its policies that they are prepared to strike. Or do you cling to the belief that BA's cabin crew are neo-Trot activists just looking for trouble.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Even more surprising is that at the same time most people are not keen on FR either (who are the ones actually practicing much of what seems to be advocated here).

If the "Most people" are the pax who are complaining about the strikes, then that is my point -we all have seen how bad FR are, so the crew should be pleased to work for an airline that is so good -and before you tell me it is the crew that make BA (which in most cases it is), FR have some good crew too who could teach BA one or two things. I am not saying FR are better, just saying that they are the success story, not BA, just because we don't like them, doesn't excuse their passenger numbers.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:38 am

Ok, I understand now. All the criticism of the cabin crew on this and other threads is premised on the understanding that cabin crew, baggage handlers and gate gourmet contractors are to be regarded as synonymous. So if the baggage handlers have had a dispute with BA over something, that disqualifies the cabin crew from having a dispute.

Perhaps you might direct at least some of your opprobrium instead at the management team that appears so spectacularly to have unified one sector of its workforce in such opposition to its policies that they are prepared to strike. Or do you cling to the belief that BA's cabin crew are neo-Trot activists just looking for trouble.
More or less, but no! I agree that they are all synonymous, but not that it disqualifies cc from having a dispute. I think that none of them should have gone on strike. I understand they are seperate, but in the eyes of the public, they are the same. At the end of the day, the public are the ones who pay their wages, and will go off to another carrier, thus necessitating more cuts and more job losses, it is a viscious circle.

I would agree that management should talk to their crew, but unions do sometimes get in the way; if they talked to each other and explained things, then it would be a dam side easier than having a strike (for pax at least), it is a paid holiday for staff.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by jonnye
Grrrr....well i'm happy for the BA staff who have finally stood up to all the bigwigs at BA.

Though i'm now going to have to duplicate my TLV-LHR-TLV bookings for the next 4 weeks with ELAL just in case it's a free-4-all @ LHR.

Make it quick BA!!
Over the past few months I've had several chats with BA cabin crew. Whenever I bring up questions about their work rules, schedules, pay, etc., they rolled their eyes, grimaced, or evidenced some other sign of pain, sorrow or frustration. So I can't say I'm surprised.

I had booked my next trip SFO-NBO on UA/EK after all the trouble I've had at LHR. The 25K bonus almost tempted me to switch flights, against my better judgement. No chance of that now.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:50 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by aristoph
I thought I was stating the obvious - every regular on this board knew there was a high risk of a strike in the first quarter of this year. If they booked non-refundable tickets with BA for this period then I can only imagine they don't really need to go wherever they were headed or else a rational person would have booked with a different carrier. Ordinary travellers are a different story of course but that isn't whom I was addressing.
I guess I count as one of those irrational idiots who still had some faith in BA, when I thought it wouldn't come to an actual strike, by booking two non-refundable longhaul trips for Feb just last night.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by ian001
I've just seen a report on BBC News and the BBC had cameras at the trade union meeting, and whilst some people did jump out of the seats and cheer when the result was announced, from what I saw they were all at the front, so this could have been planned for the TV cameras.
Unbelievable behaviour. From what I could see, everyone in the room roared their approval and got to their feet (including one female CC member who punched the air several times.) Hardly a group of people who've been reluctantly pushed to this point and taking the last resort.

And that cabin crew member who reckons you're more likely to get sick inside an aircraft "with all the germs" had better tell Boeing and Airbus; as I think they'll be very interested to hear from him...
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
There has been some talk on here about how senior management should have seen this coming. But another angle is that maybe WW and his cohorts know that this all needs to be resolved, especially ahead of the move to T5 (and the new dawn that will usher in apparently!) It's pretty unusual for such a competitive industry to still be unionised and WW might be adopting a policy of brinksmanship; maybe he feels he can crack the unions? As others have noted, the BA statement is not one of conciliation.

I certainly was surprised that 96% of the ballot voted for strike action (which - by my maths - is around 60% of the total cabin crew numbers) as it underlines how strong feelings are right now. I do not know enough to have an opinion on whether the crew are right to strike, but I sincerely hope that both sides are able to find some common ground, and that BA does not screw itself up in the process. Feels like all this is quite critical to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.