FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:43 am
IAMORGAN

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajax
Well... actually I don't agree. BA aren't losing money hand over fist (like some/most major US carriers) and don't have a massive need to conserve cash. In fact, they have been very profitable in recent years, and mid-year results from 9/2006 showed net profit margin of 6.7% - the highest in 10 years. WW wants to leave his mark and, boy, will he ever.

Well, yes.

I don't think it's as simple as that. First of all, which airline? BMI? ThomsonFly? Second, I believe that many BA cabin crew love their jobs and really don't want to leave. Didn't WW say something like "there is no compromise; our way is the only way."? If so, that's an awfully risky management strategy, especially when you're the new guy. Looks like his bad karma's coming back to bite him in the a**e.

Again, I believe that WW said "It's my way, or the highway." Seems like drastic action is the only type he's able to respond to.
At the end of the day, the crew aren't paid to make choices about whether they accept the board's decision to save 10%, they are employed to do their specific job, and let WW worry about everything else. I suppose that you don't agree they need to save money, which is fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion.