Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Exchanging Marriott Points for Tesco CC and BA Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exchanging Marriott Points for Tesco CC and BA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Would anyone be willing to pick me up one email the number and then I can register it online?
It will set you up a virtual account anyway, but i have pm'd you with a number as well. There may be address consistency checks that will trip you up.

Last edited by TOMSURFER; Jan 9, 2007 at 11:51 pm
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Perhap you guys could help out one of us in the Colonies.
Is your BA account registered in the UK? Because you cannot transfer Tesco points into it if it isn't.

(Of course, you could do a 6 month temporary move ...)
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:35 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
Is your BA account registered in the UK? Because you cannot transfer Tesco points into it if it isn't.

(Of course, you could do a 6 month temporary move ...)

...... or perhaps a "family" member who lives at a UK address?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:01 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
I need to spend £5k on my Amex before, presumably the end of, February - to get my voucher.... I don't want to even think about how many miles would get if went down solely this route (am on 3.2 rate) - but have spent the last 30 mins sorting out the paperwork & details, just in case.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SUBSTANTIALLY easier to buy a fully-flex BA ticket and then go for a refund next month, I think! Although your chance of hitting £10k NEXT year is then nil as the refund will count against your spending.

Although, realistically, you could actually turn a few £k profit here if you bought £5k of points, bought £11,000 of Rolex's at Goldsmiths and then re-sold them. You wouldn't need to ebay them (and given the risks would be a little foolish to do so) - you'd get a decent price (75% of face value?) from any of the second-hand watch stores in Mayfair, once they were convinced you hadn't nicked them.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:10 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by knifeandfork
I realise that all this makes me sound like your regulation BA board, public school, Oxbridge educated, patronising, metropolitan, hetero-flexible elitist. Pass me that cap, it looks as if it might fit.

And I make it a total of 7 (including both 'BA board' and 'elitist') - put me down for 5, since our recent move out of London

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Jan 10, 2007 at 7:19 am Reason: edit to add personal score
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only score 2 (possibly 3) out of 6!

(The 'possible' one is 'patronising', before anyone makes any incorrect assumptions!)
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I only score 2 (possibly 3) out of 6!

(The 'possible' one is 'patronising', before anyone makes any incorrect assumptions!)
Better just make it the two then , which (I think) is about all I can muster.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:53 am

...Although, realistically, you could actually turn a few £k profit here if you bought £5k of points, bought £11,000 of Rolex's at Goldsmiths and then re-sold them...
If you are lucky!

I've just been trying to locate a Goldsmiths that actually sells Rolex or Cartier...since they do not list them on their website...and the manager of the local (Caerdydd) store tells me they don't have the franchise for them any more...does anyone know of a Goldsmiths that does actually stock said brands?

Their customer services chappie told me on the 'phone to go to Watches of Switzerland...same group...or Mappin & Webb...also same group.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by tristan727
I need to spend £5k on my Amex before, presumably the end of, February - to get my voucher.... I don't want to even think about how many miles would get if went down solely this route (am on 3.2 rate) - but have spent the last 30 mins sorting out the paperwork & details, just in case.
The spending has to appear on the last BA Amex statement issued before the "anniversary date" to count towards this year's spend for the voucher. Depending on the interval between your statement date and anniversary date there can be up to a month of spending which is before the anniversary date but counts towards next year's spending NOT the current year's spending.

A quick phone call to the number on the back of the BA Amex card is all that's required to establish the anniversary date if you're not sure. You then need to look at what date in the month your BA Amex statement is usually issued to establish the date of the last statement that will be issued before the anniversary date.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock
I've just been trying to locate a Goldsmiths that actually sells Rolex or Cartier
Goldsmiths in Canary Wharf has a big Rolex selection - as you'd expect given the local customer base. Not sure about Cartier as too girly for me .
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock
If you are lucky!

I've just been trying to locate a Goldsmiths that actually sells Rolex or Cartier...since they do not list them on their website...and the manager of the local (Caerdydd) store tells me they don't have the franchise for them any more...does anyone know of a Goldsmiths that does actually stock said brands?

Their customer services chappie told me on the 'phone to go to Watches of Switzerland...same group...or Mappin & Webb...also same group.
I think some Goldsmiths stock (or at least sell) Rolex. I seem to recall that info being on their website, or at least you could phone them. I remember considering one last year following the beef extravaganza, but settled on an Omega instead.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: BA bronze
Likewise if anyone needs and address over here its cheap and easy to set up a PO Box. There are tons of places like Mailboxes etc and they will even forward your mail right to you. I'm happy to help if anyone needs one.
Several times recently I've wished I had a US mailing address to take advantage of FF offers which are limited to US addresses. Problem is that the conditions typically state that PO Box addresses are excluded. Also it may be necessary to pay using a credit card linked to the US address.

Now, if you could suggest how (apart from emigrating!) I could easily set up a US address which didn't appear to be a PO Box, offered mail forwarding and could be the statement address for a credit card that would be useful...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: F
I'm singularly unconvinced that the Goldsmiths / Rolex idea is profitable. You won't be able to negotiate any sort of discount with the vouchers and I doubt you would break even reselling them.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Perhaps not, but as described above, you could potentially purchase a watch for almost half its list price. Does anyone have experience of going into Goldsmiths with a couple of thousand pounds worth of Tesco Club Deal vouchers?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.