Search

Gaza's crazy mileage run to AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
not to worry - plenty of woollies etc you can pick up when you get here

great report gaza ^

its reports like these that has led me to try to avoid checked bags whenever I have multiple tight connections in sequence (eg this trip I only had a couple of carryons)

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 21, 2005 at 6:30 pm
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
The baggage people have just confirmed it was not on the later flight from LAX. They have telexed AA and hopefully will have an update for me tonight when I get back from Sapporo. I've asked them to send it direct on the QF flight to AKL but they say it has to come through HKG. This will delay things even further.

Very stingy interim payout HKD100. That's about GBP20!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:50 pm

This trip report is so good that I feel like doing a MR NOW!!!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Gaza
Technically no payment is due until the bag is delayed 24 hours and many airlines stick to that -- even BA in F refused any payment for the first 48 hours when they lost my bag at LHR. CX can provide you with a RON kit (remain overnight) which you might find useful, think they also have minor items such as t-shirts. Or you can ask for a set of the very nice CX F pyjamas made by Shanghai Tang (and sold for big bucks in their boutique). Might do quite well with out of this baggage delay if you play your cards right (CX has been known to throw in an opup to F, though their isn't F on the AKL flight but you could go via SYD I suppose).
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

Suspect fatigue is setting in (oh the joys of too much travel in too little time) - it's closer to GBP8

That'll hardly buy you a toothbrush and some toothpaste......
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:35 pm

Where's that blushing icon?

Chin up Gaza, best of British and all that. You're heading to bits of the Empire and it's imperative that you maintain the style for which we Brits have become well known (I'm talking from years ago with the bowler hats and the like rather than bacon, eggs and beer in Costa del Chav).

Your reports are making great reading and I'm sure you'll sort the baggage issues out one way or another. If the worst comes to the worst you can buy almost anything you want in NZ - complete with All Black branding!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

oh yeah I forgot to mention all the woollies are in black, but I'm sure you dont mind
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
oh yeah I forgot to mention all the woollies are in black, but I'm sure you dont mind
I thought the local practice was simply to use the sheep to keep yourself warm.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I think you're confusing us with the folk from the West Island
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:39 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Did you book on a BA Amex PP - if so you might be able to charge some of those fleeces Kiwi Flyer is talking about to their insurers.

In case you can't access the pdf:

Originally Posted by BA Amex PP T&Cs
SECTION 1.2 TRAVEL INCONVENIENCE

DEFINITIONS
The words below have special meaning when used in Section 1.2.
“Covered Flight” means a flight
a) On which a Beneficiary is booked to travel, where the entire fare has been charged to an British
Airways American Express Premium Plus Card account in advance of the scheduled departure time; and
b) is on an aircraft operated by an airline, licensed by the relevant authorities for scheduled air
transportation; and
c) that is a scheduled flight in accordance with such license and maintains schedules and tariffs for
passenger service between named airports at specific times as published in the OAG World Airways
Guide or similar publication.
“Delayed Flight Departure and Flight Cancellation” means where the departure of a Covered Flight is
delayed for more than 4 hours from its scheduled departure time or is cancelled, and no alternative
transportation is made available to the Beneficiary within 4 hours of the scheduled departure time.
“Involuntary Denial of Boarding” means that the Beneficiary has checked in or attempted to check in
for a Covered Flight, within the published check-in times and has been involuntarily denied boarding
as a result of overbooking.
“Luggage Delay” means that the Beneficiary's accompanied checked-in luggage is not delivered within
6 hours of the Covered Flight’s arrival at its destination point.
“Luggage Loss” means that the Beneficiary's accompanied checked-in luggage is not delivered within
48 hours of the Covered Flight’s arrival at its destination point.

“Missed Connection” means that the Beneficiary's confirmed onward connecting Covered Flight, is
missed at the transfer point:
a) due to the late arrival of the Beneficiary's incoming confirmed connecting Covered Flight; and
b) no alternative onward transportation is made available to the Beneficiary within 4 hours of the actual
arrival time of the incoming Covered Flight.

HOW AND WHEN CAN YOU BENEFIT?
1) In the event of Delayed Flight Departure and Flight Cancellation, the Insurer will pay Us to
reimburse Your British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card account charges up to GBP 200
incurred between the scheduled and actual departure times, for restaurant meals, refreshments and
hotel accommodation.
2) In the event of Involuntary Denial of Boarding, the Insurer will:
a) pay Us to reimburse Your British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card account charges up
to GBP 200 incurred between the scheduled and actual departure times, for restaurant meals and
refreshments; and
b) in addition, if the Beneficiary is delayed for more than 6 hours or past 10 p.m. on the date of
scheduled departure, whichever occurs first, the Insurer will pay Us to reimburse Your British Airways
American Express Premium Plus Card account charges up to a further GBP 400 for hotel
accommodation and services used prior to actual departure;
c) The Insurer will not pay more than 5 claims for Your benefit in any one 365 day period.
3) In the event of a Missed Connection, the Insurer will pay Us to reimburse Your British Airways
American Express Premium Plus Card account charges up to GBP 200 incurred between the scheduled
and actual departure times, for restaurant meals, refreshments and hotel accommodation used.
4) In the event of Luggage Delay or Luggage Loss, the Insurer will pay Us to reimburse Your British
Airways American Express Premium Plus Card account charges incurred, at the scheduled destination,
for the emergency purchase of essential clothing and toiletries prior to the return of the luggage, as
follows:
a) Luggage Delay up to GBP 750;
b) Luggage Loss up to an additional GBP 1000;
c) The Insurer will not pay more than 3 claims for Your benefit in any one 365 day period.

EXCLUSIONS
1) The benefit does not apply to Luggage Delay or Luggage Loss:
a) on the flight returning the Beneficiary to their place of domicile; or
b) as a result of confiscation or requisition by customs or other government authority.
2) The Insurer will not pay any amounts:
a) not incurred on an British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card Account;
b) i) under Delayed Flight Departure and Flight Cancellation, Missed Connection, or Involuntary
Denial of Boarding; for any items purchased from Duty Free, charges for telephone and/or alternative
travel; or
ii) under Luggage Delay or Luggage Loss; for any items purchased from Duty Free other than essential
items of clothing or toiletries; or
c) if the Beneficiary fails to notify the relevant airline authorities of missing luggage at the destination
point and obtain a Property Irregularity Report or fails to take reasonable measures to save or recover
delayed and or lost luggage; or
d) for Involuntary Denial of Boarding where the Beneficiary voluntarily accepts compensation from
the airline in exchange for not boarding;
e) if the Beneficiary does not obtain proof regarding the Delayed Flight Departure and Flight
Cancellation, or Missed Connection or Involuntary Denial of Boarding.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
1) To support a request for benefit You need to provide:
a) a copy of the Covered Flight ticket; and
b) itinerary schedule verifying the relevant scheduled flight ticket(s) was charged to an British Airways
American Express Premium Plus Card account; and
c) written confirmation of the Delayed Flight Departure and Flight Cancellation, Missed Connection
or Involuntary Denial of Boarding from the airline; and
d) in respect of Luggage Delay or Luggage Loss, the Property Irregularity Report obtained from the
airline; and
e) the appropriate British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card account receipts for all
expenses.
f) written evidence from the airline authorities of when the baggage was returned.
2) Departure times, transfer and destination points will be established by reference to the Beneficiary's
Covered Flight ticket.
3) In the event that You are accompanied by one or more Beneficiary, or Supplementary Cardmembers
under the same British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card account, the benefits stated here
will be shared between You and the Beneficiaries and the Supplementary Cardmembers. This will not
apply where if a Beneficiary has a separate American Express Card account.
4) All information and evidence required by the Insurer or the Administrator shall be provided at the
expense of the Beneficiary or his or her personal representative(s).
5) Benefits reimbursed by the Insurer will be credited to the Your British Airways American Express
Premium Plus Card Account.

Last edited by pauldb; Jun 22, 2005 at 1:43 am
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think you're confusing us with the folk from the West Island
Reply deleted on ground of tast and international diplomacy.

Last edited by phillipas; Jun 22, 2005 at 4:16 am
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I'm back in HKG and sitting in the BA/QF Lounge.

Wednesday 22nd June (Continued)

The outbound flight to CTS was delayed for 30 minutes due to thunderstorms. They could not refuel the aircraft until they had passed. There were 14 pax in Business but only 2 of us were in the First Class cabin. The crew were very welcoming and quickly offered Champagne. I was handed a quite substantial menu for a lunch service and was offered the opportunity to eat when I felt like it.

The CX First Class Suite is good. I don't rate it as highly as the QF or BA Suites but it is perfectly acceptable. After take-off I settled down and watched a movie on AVOD and read some more of my book. I had Lenny with me and the crew began to make a real fuss with him. The insisted he have his own seat and watch cartoons. They insisted that as CX was a OW partner he could have his Skyflyers og Book filled in! The Senior Purser took him up to the flightdeck and he was there for about an hour until the Capt personally brought him back to me.

The crew were superb. They were talking to me about my trip and were very interested when I told them about FT. The Senior Purser and Purser were beginning to plan ex-CMB or BKK oneworld Explorers! They thought I was crazy for doing the back to back and were doubting me a bit until I showed them the itinerary.

We arrived in Sapporo (CTS) about 5 minutes late. I didn't have a BP for my return and I was a bit concerned as there was only 60 minutes until the return and I didn't fancy my chances of clearing Immigration, getting a BP and back through security. I need not have worried. The CX Station manager was waiting for me and arranged for one of his staff to take me to the JAL lounge and get my BP issued. It was great VIP treatment by CX.

I asked for a seat in the First Cabin again but was told it had been blocked off. I wasn't too bothered as the standard CX Business seat would be good enough for the 4.5 hour flight.

When I boarded the Senior Purser automatically went to take me to the First cabin but I told her they had blocked it off. She could not understand this as they were fully crewed for all cabins. She went off to speak to the Flight Manager (or whatever they are called on CX) and came back and said they would move me shortly. Just after take-off the Manager came up to me and took me through to First. I had the entire cabin to myself! There were four flightdeck crew on board as they were training so one of the First Officers joined me. Shortly after the Capt came down and sat chatting to me for about 30 minutes.

I passed on the offer of more food and chose to get a bit of sleep.

As we were about the leave Japanese airspace we began making some large orbits. This went on for about 20 minutes. The Capt later told me in the arrivals hall that there is a bit of nonsense going on between Japan and Taiwan at the moment and he suspected they were playing games.

I decided to “enter” Hong Kong again so I could go to baggage services and check to see if they had located my bag. I gave the baggage agent my file reference and he tapped away. “We’ve found it.” He said. “It is here in Hong Kong.” I was delighted. “In fact, it is right behind you.” I looked at the “Rush” label and saw that AA had routed it to NRT and CX had brought it down from there. I had fully expected not to see it for a few days. One plus point was that it saved me days Left Luggage cost! (You can take the boy out of Scotland but not…….)

I am now hoping that my bag will make the relatively tight connection in BNE to AKL. This will be my last night in an aircraft for a couple of weeks and I must say I am looking forward to my night at the Hyatt in AKL tomorrow.

Last edited by Gaza; Jun 22, 2005 at 8:29 am
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
This is the most amazing report! I cant wait for each installment... ^ ^
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:57 am

Programs: BA, BMI, NZ, SQ
Excellent stuff, enjoy Auckland and the Rugby, go the All Blacks !!!
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Rickshaw
... go the All Blacks !!!
Steady on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.