Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gaza's crazy mileage run to AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:52 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
great trip report! Almost missed this thread! I lost count of all your flights. How many consecutive nights did you spend on a plane? I think my record was 3 nights in a row and that was more than enough for me!
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
cmon it was british & irish weather to make you feel more at home
Even in the UK I've never been as cold at a test match!!

I could not get a ticket at a reasonable price for last nights match so I watched it in the Loaded Hog in Wellington. It was an awesome display by the AB's. Without a shadow of doubt they were the best team.

We have left WLG and are spending the night at Lake Tapou. On the way up I did my first ever bungy jump. I don't think I've ever been as scared in my life!
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by bagold
great trip report! Almost missed this thread! I lost count of all your flights. How many consecutive nights did you spend on a plane? I think my record was 3 nights in a row and that was more than enough for me!
I spent Sunday night coming back from ANC on a 757. Monday night on a Cathay 744 and Wednesday night on a QF 330. I lost Tuesday night as I crossed the date line.

The full route was:-

Saturday - LHR-WAW-LHR
Sunday - LHR-ORD-ANC-ORD
Monday - ORD-SJU-MIA-LAX-HKG
Wednesday - HKG-CTS-HKG-BNE
Thursday - BNE-AKL
Friday - AKL-CHC

14 flights in less than a week. Total mileage was around 34,500.

The good thing is all my flights have posted and I am Gold again!
Old Jul 3, 2005, 2:31 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gaza
I spent Sunday night coming back from ANC on a 757. Monday night on a Cathay 744 and Wednesday night on a QF 330. I lost Tuesday night as I crossed the date line.

Saturday - LHR-WAW-LHR
Sunday - LHR-ORD-ANC-ORD
Thursday - BNE-AKL
Friday - AKL-CHC

This is pretty insane!!! Btw, don't forget to change your profile to show your Gold status again!!! ^ ^ ^
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
We have left WLG and are spending the night at Lake Tapou. On the way up I did my first ever bungy jump. I don't think I've ever been as scared in my life!
Good for you! Everyone come to NZ and try to kill yourself go to Australia and be killed by the native creatures

Maybe the weather for Lions vs Auckland will be more to your liking? Much warmer and thunderstorms forecast.

PS its Lake Taupo
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
PS its Lake Taupo
Ooops!

It had been a long day!

Went on a fishing charter this morning a caught absolutlely nothing! The Maori rock carvings were interesting though.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Saturday - LHR-WAW-LHR
Sunday - LHR-ORD-ANC-ORD
Thursday - BNE-AKL
Friday - AKL-CHC

Darling, wouldn't be cheaper/easier to "move" to Italy or somewhere and get Gold with loads less flights?

Re' Bungy Jump? Does Sheena or your life insurers know about this?
Old Jul 9, 2005, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Darling, wouldn't be cheaper/easier to "move" to Italy or somewhere and get Gold with loads less flights?
It may be but I would lose the Amex 2 for 1 voucher in the process which, in my opionion, is worth more than being Gold.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Re' Bungy Jump? Does Sheena or your life insurers know about this?
She does now! My mother in law said she found it hard to picuture me dangling from a piece of elastic.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

The tour is now at an end. I've had a fantastic time in NZ, apart from the rugby! We were well a truely beaten by a superior team. Woodward has been humiliated and all the critisism levelled at him before the tour has proved to be valid.

The New Zealanders have made us feel very welcome. Every town and city has signs up saying "Lions supporters make yousel 100% at home." I am sure the NZ economy has had a huge financial boost.

I sititng in the QF Club at AKL awaiting the departure of CX108 to HKG. The flight is oversold but I've not been bumped. The seatmap for this flight (A340-300) had been showing as 2 class but on Friday I noticed it was showing as a 3 class sold as 2. I asked at check-in for a seat in the forward cabin but the check-in staff said that I was in the forward cabin (row 11) which suggestes it has reverted to a 2 class. However, at the same time they also said it was a smaller capacity aircraft which would suggest otherwise.

I've got 3 hours at HKG before my BA flight to LHR. I could not get 64A or K so have settled for 60J. The flight is far from full so there seems little prospect of me moving forward.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
I have just read in the Sunday papers over my grapefruit this morning a quote saying "The Best moment of the Lions Tour was when the boarded their flight back to Heathrow"

How much was the tour again? £10 milllion of supporters money?
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Glad you had a fantastic trip Gaza, I will be heading down those parts in late August.

I was booked on DEL-HKG on CX and the front row of their J cabin is always row 11 so you could be at the front of a 343 but still be row 11. :S
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:27 am
Original Poster

The seatmap for this flight (A340-300) had been showing as 2 class but on Friday I noticed it was showing as a 3 class sold as 2. I asked at check-in for a seat in the forward cabin but the check-in staff said that I was in the forward cabin (row 11) which suggestes it has reverted to a 2 class. However, at the same time they also said it was a smaller capacity aircraft which would suggest otherwise.
The aircraft was a 2 class A340-300. It was oversold by 6 in Business. I was speaking to the Station Manager who told me they had intended to put a A340-600 on but had switched at the last moment.

The flight was not as good as my other CX flights. It took over an hour after take-off for them to come round with drinks. When it came to the lunch service I was served last (sitting in first row) and there was limited choice. Depsite the wine list showing a Sauvigon Blanc they only had Chardonnay on offer and this ran out before the end of the flight leaving only Champage or Red.

I've got 3 hours at HKG before my BA flight to LHR. I could not get 62A or K so have settled for 60J. The flight is far from full so there seems little prospect of me moving forward.
On arrival at HKG I asked if 62A or 64K were available. After a bit of key tapping and phone calls I was reassigned to 64K.

I've just had a call from Sheena informing me that we are about to have another addition to the family. No, she is not pregnant. After months of will we, won't we she went out with a friend today and bought a West Highland Terrier who we have named Alfie! We collect me in a couple of weeks time. I'll have to break the news gently to Lenny that there will be another dog in the family.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyclub
How much was the tour again? £10 milllion of supporters money?
Not quite. The figure quoted by the Lions CEO was £4.6 milllion. Even with that cost they expect to make a profit on the tour. They have secured a lot of sponsorship plus some very lucrative commercial agreements. The Lions strip is the biggest selling sports shirt outside of North America at the moment.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:44 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I've just had a call from Sheena informing me that we are about to have another addition to the family. No, she is not pregnant. After months of will we, won't we she went out with a friend today and bought a West Highland Terrier who we have named Alfie! We collect me in a couple of weeks time. I'll have to break the news gently to Lenny that there will be another dog in the family.
Fabulous. ^
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Lenny is a dog?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.