Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gaza's crazy mileage run to AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by Watchful
Lions Club belongs to a genre of organizations usually called "service clubs" - Kiwanis and Rotary are other notable examples - usually a service-oriented group of community leaders that have weekly luncheon meetings (across vocational lines), do beneficial service projects, and have international ties as well.

Their 2005 International Convention is June 27-July 1 in Hong Kong!

http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/content...nvention.shtml
Thanks for that. I figured it was a Rotary Club type organisation.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Thursday 23rd June

After enjoying a couple of "Crownies" in the QF Club I boarded QF25 a 2 class 744 that continues on to LAX. It was late inbound from SYD so this pushed departure back by about 30 minutes. I had prebooked a seat on the upper deck - 11B. As there was no one in 11K I swapped seats. This 744 still has the old Dreamtime Business Class seat. I found it very comfortable and great for a day flight. We had very strong tailwinds across the Tasman and at one point I saw 722 MPH ground speed on the Airshow! The speed held at about 700 +/- 15mph for the entire flight. It meant a very short flight and we made up almost all the delay.

The lunch menu was very good. I ordered the Snapper in a Lemongrass sauce. It was very tasty. Desert was biscuits and cheese or ice cream. I chose the ice cream.

The service and food served on this short flight was excellent.

On arrival at AKL I cleared Immigration quickly and went to baggage reclaim. The bags had just began coming through and I was delighted to see mine was first off!

I jumped in to a taxi and headed for the Hyatt Regency in central Auckland. The journey from the airport was very slow. I was last in AKL 5 years ago and nothing seems to have been done to improve travel between the airport and city centre. The taxi was quite pricy at NZD62.

I checked in quickly and went up to my room on the 11th floor. It was more of a suite than a room and most importnatly it had a huge bed with crisp white sheets!! I was looking forward to getting in to it later that evening.

I went out for a walk down to the waterfront area and had some dinner. I had to cut it short as for the first time in many years I had a nosebleed. I'm not sure if it is related to all the travel or from my two asprin per day anti-DVT measure.

I went to bed at around 10:30 and slept well until 04:00 but could not get back to sleep.

Friday 24th June

After breakfast in the Regency Club lounge I checked out and took the airport shuttle to the airport for my flight to CHC. This was a much more reasonable NZD20.

I checked in quickly and was allocated 1D on the single class 737-300. This leg is not Mile or TP earning as QF single class domestics are booked in L class on oneworld explorers.

I'm sitting in the QF Club in CHC waiting on the 10:00 departure. I was very disappointed to find that the bar in the QF Club does not serve beer until 1:00 pm!! I've had to make do with coffee and Diet Coke instead.

Well "Gaza's crazy mileage run to AKL" is at an end. A couple of days ago I said I would never do it again but I've changed my mind. I'm not sure if I would ever do so many flights back to back but I may do a similar itinerary but build in a couple of 24 hour stops.

The highlights for me have been some excellent crews who have made live quite a bit easier. I've often seen AA crews maligned on FT but in my opinion they were very good. The CX crew on my HKG-CTS-HKG flights were superb. If I had to rank them it would be:-

1st - CX
2nd - AA
3rd - QF
4th - BA

That does not mean the BA crew were bad but thast the others were better.

The low point was when my bag went missing for about 12 hours but I am hugely impressed by AA & CX's actions in getting it back to me as quickly as possible. I am certainly going to email and/or write to their baggage services people thanking them for getting it back to me so quickly.

I probably won't be around much over the next couple of weeks as I'll be too drunk to type most of the time.

Go Lions!!!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Gaza
I'm sitting in the QF Club in CHC waiting on the 10:00 departure. I was very disappointed to find that the bar in the QF Club does not serve beer until 1:00 pm!! I've had to make do with coffee and Diet Coke instead.
Aye only the international QPs have drinkies before 1pm.

Looks like the game tomorrow may be played in sleet or snow - will suit the Lions
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Thanks for the highly entertaining trip reports Gaza. ^

Have a great time, and indeed: Go Lions!!!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Gosh, attendence at half of one international and he's an expert

Gaza, great report! good to hear your baggage worked out.. you must have been a good boy in a previous life
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Good to see you arriving into this great country, Gaza! Even with your bag too! ^

A nasty weather front is coming from the south to greet you soon, just to make you feel at home.

(At WLG domestic QP, while there's a sign saying no drinks before 1pm, I don't recall the fridge being locked. Certainly the spirits are out in the open. It doesn't really matter to me though, I don't really drink there...)
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leumas
A nasty weather front is coming from the south to greet you soon, just to make you feel at home.
I've heard. The lads had a tough time this morning coming up from Queenstown. They were doing 5kph in snow. Some were turning back but they decided to keep going. I heard from them about an hour ago and they are now in clear skys and clear roads making good progress.

I had to go to Pacific Horizon on arrival at CHC to show my license so that I can drive when I get here. While there I put a contingency plan in place to rent a 2 berth for a couple of days in case they did not make it. It is bloody cold in Christchurch today and I didn't fancy sleeping on the streets!

The atmosphere is great already. The centre of Christchurch is full of Lions supporters.

I think it is going to be a very good tour.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:23 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I checked in quickly and went up to my room on the 11th floor. It was more of a suite than a room and most importnatly it had a huge bed with crisp white sheets!! I was looking forward to getting in to it later that evening.
Isn't that a nice hotel? We stayed there awaiting the freighter that was to take us to California a few years ago, and would go back in an instant.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
I've heard. The lads had a tough time this morning coming up from Queenstown. They were doing 5kph in snow. Some were turning back but they decided to keep going. I heard from them about an hour ago and they are now in clear skys and clear roads making good progress.

I had to go to Pacific Horizon on arrival at CHC to show my license so that I can drive when I get here. While there I put a contingency plan in place to rent a 2 berth for a couple of days in case they did not make it. It is bloody cold in Christchurch today and I didn't fancy sleeping on the streets!

The atmosphere is great already. The centre of Christchurch is full of Lions supporters.

I think it is going to be a very good tour.
Great trip report, Gaza! I was in the Square (centre of CHC) today as well - so there were a few All Black supporters to counter the "red sea"!

Enjoy the match. Go Black!
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Isn't that a nice hotel? We stayed there awaiting the freighter that was to take us to California a few years ago, and would go back in an instant.
I stayed here back in March and thought it was wonderful - one of the nicest hotels in Auckland, surely.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:27 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Great reading so far, glad you like CX.. next time, ditch the mad dash, come to HK on CX and bring Sheena with you !

Graeme
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Still enthralling! My hat and three cheers are raised to Mrs Gaza, the lovely Sheena who had allowed him to go off and play like this. She is, if memory serves a teacher (and a treasure) so she will be busy controlling classroom riots while her beloved goes and creates one with the Lions.

Gaza, enjoy and look after yourself. It seems funny to read of snow as the temperature did not drop below 24C last night on the Costa del Surbiton!
Old Jun 25, 2005, 3:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

What a game!

yah Black
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

What an awful game from a Lions perspective. We were shocking. Woodwards crap selection is coming back to haunt us.

The conditions were terrible. I have never been so cold and wet at a rugby match in my life. It was so bad we left 10 minutes before the end and went straight back to the campervan and ordered pizza!

On our way to Picton today to catch the ferry tomorrow morning.

Things can only get better!
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

cmon it was british & irish weather to make you feel more at home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.