Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Craziest TP runs?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2024, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by seanp7
Thats not crazy at all.

Not BA but I met a guy in Bogota doing AMS-FRA-BOG return, TWICE in succession, in LH F for requal.
Think I know who that was.

M
seanp7 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 6:23 pm

I'm currently on one.

Day 1 LHR-BUD Y (positioning flight)
Day 1 BUD-LHR J
Day 2 LHR-MIA F
Day 2 MIA-GRU F (AA arriving day 3)
Day 3 GRU-IGU W (separate ticket)
Day 5 IGR-EZE W (separate ticket)
Day 7 EZE-GIG J (separate ticket)
(current location)
Day 9 GIG-GRU W (separate ticket)
Day 9 GRU-MIA F (AA arriving day 10)
Day 10 MIA-JFK J (AA)
Day 10 JFK-LHR F (arriving day 11)
Day 11 LHR-BUD J
Day 11 BUD-LHR Y (positioning flight)

The main ticket (BUD-GRU-BUD) will net me 960 tier points (First Class fare) ... I think that ticket came in at around 2300 inc tax.

The positioning flights to/from BUD I secured as Avios redemptions along with EZE-GIG. The other South American flights came in around 250 for 3x flights in Premium (2 of which earn Avios but no tier points).

I could have just stayed at Sao Paulo as a true mileage runner would but I wanted to see something of Brazil and Argentina so it was always going to be at an easy pace with other destinations thrown in to the mix.

Current view in Rio from my hotel....

Old May 9, 2024, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Call me cynical, but I did wonder if OP was a BA researcher looking for loopholes to close
Hahaha no..OP is trying to get 5K tier points this year and being creative!
tmac100 and JapesUK like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by ag92
Hahaha no..OP is trying to get 5K tier points this year and being creative!
Good luck! Im almost there, two more trips, its definitely been an interesting challenge.
Old May 9, 2024, 1:51 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
A few years ago, I had LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MCO-MIA-LIR-MIA-MCO-CLT-RDU-DCA-JFK-PHX-LAS-LAX booked in I for $796. Believe that was 840 points, although I ended up canceling after several schedule changes.
Old May 9, 2024, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I'm currently on one.

Day 1 LHR-BUD Y (positioning flight)
Day 1 BUD-LHR J
Day 2 LHR-MIA F
Day 2 MIA-GRU F (AA arriving day 3)
Day 3 GRU-IGU W (separate ticket)
Day 5 IGR-EZE W (separate ticket)
Day 7 EZE-GIG J (separate ticket)
(current location)
Day 9 GIG-GRU W (separate ticket)
Day 9 GRU-MIA F (AA arriving day 10)
Day 10 MIA-JFK J (AA)
Day 10 JFK-LHR F (arriving day 11)
Day 11 LHR-BUD J
Day 11 BUD-LHR Y (positioning flight)

The main ticket (BUD-GRU-BUD) will net me 960 tier points (First Class fare) ... I think that ticket came in at around 2300 inc tax.

The positioning flights to/from BUD I secured as Avios redemptions along with EZE-GIG. The other South American flights came in around 250 for 3x flights in Premium (2 of which earn Avios but no tier points).

I could have just stayed at Sao Paulo as a true mileage runner would but I wanted to see something of Brazil and Argentina so it was always going to be at an easy pace with other destinations thrown in to the mix.

Current view in Rio from my hotel....

I'm on the same BUD-GRU fare at the moment, but heading to Ilhabela opposed to staying in GRU (which I've done too many times!).

What date do you fly GRU-MIA?

M
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Blue :(
Surprised no one remembers the low Amsterdam to Chicago fare that was around 800 ish. (2017)

I did:-

AMS-LCY
LCY-JFK (Baby Bus Caneclled due to snow) (Got to New York no Snow!)
LHR-JFK
JFK-CLT
CLT-ORD
ORD-DFW
DFW-JFK
JFK-LHR
LHR-CDG
Old May 9, 2024, 4:09 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
my overriding memory was being stuck at Jacksonville Airport for 2 hours while a torrential rain storm dropped in!
Been there, done that! The last time, I gave up and called it a day as I had a connection I knew I'd miss back to Blighty in MIA on BA F, so rebooked for the next day's flight.

I'd almost run out of clothes, so unusually for me, when travelling the next day, I was rather dressed down: in a singlet & shorts. I was rather more svelte back in those days.

A snooty BA gate agent at MIA looked me up and down via his nose, saw my carry on, and announced "you can't come on with that, you'll have to check it, where's your boarding card?". Things changed when I presented the BP: "Oh, let me help you with that, sir".
msm2000uk likes this.

Last edited by Howard Long; May 9, 2024 at 4:18 am
Old May 9, 2024, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackSkyuk
Surprised no one remembers the low Amsterdam to Chicago fare that was around 800 ish. (2017)

I did:-

AMS-LCY
LCY-JFK (Baby Bus Caneclled due to snow) (Got to New York no Snow!)
LHR-JFK
JFK-CLT
CLT-ORD
ORD-DFW
DFW-JFK
JFK-LHR
LHR-CDG
How do you go about different cities in each leg. For example your outbound has CLT but inbound has DFW. Does that increase the price as it is not symmetrical or does that not matter? I am assuming you have to do this complex booking via phone?

Last edited by golfmad; May 9, 2024 at 8:28 am Reason: Removed response to deleted post.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Think I know who that was.

M
Is he still recovering??
Old May 9, 2024, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by higham44
Is he still recovering??
Ha! If it's who I think, he flies a crazy amount and is very helpful on FT too.

M
tmac100 likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:25 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
This is my plan exactly , how did you get BA flight numbers on the Qatar metal flights DOH-BKK-DOH please? I presume you called BAH? Please advise
thanks.
To add to my previous response, I dug out a spreadsheet and updated it for a straw-drawn date of 18 May. Please note that I don't know if all these are bookable as pairs outbound or inbound as part of a BAH LON-DOH-BKK-DOH-LON.

The obvious loading error is the mismatch on BKK-DOH QR835/BA2309 with QR showing A380 and BA as A359. The seat layout is for an A380, but no F on the BA codeshare.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
BACodeSharesLONBKK.xlsx (10.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Howard Long; May 9, 2024 at 5:29 am Reason: Typo
Old May 9, 2024, 6:31 am

Enjoy the falls, they are well worth the detour.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Call me cynical, but I did wonder if OP was a BA researcher looking for loopholes to close
Unfortunately, BA did close the BAH-DOH-BAH and AUH-MCT-AUH loophole by significantly reducing the TPs on this route
Old May 9, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, QR Burgundy, A3 Blue, ALL Silver, Avis Preferred
This is one I'm in the midst of, being based in SYD, but found a deal for a KUL-SYD-KUL J fare, and still yet to book my flight back to SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.