Craziest TP runs?

Old May 8, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
This is my plan exactly , how did you get BA flight numbers on the Qatar metal flights DOH-BKK-DOH please? I presume you called BAH? Please advise
thanks.
I used an assortment of using BAH website, Google flights, Expertflyer, and finally calling up BAH to book. I can't remember what the exact problem was with booking it online with BAH, but after keying in all the details, the website threw a wobbler on two occasions so I called up to do it instead.

I made sure I had the precise details immediately to hand to aide with the booking over the phone, including flight numbers, dates, hotel details, and hotel car transfers.
sunshinebob likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
Originally Posted by ag92
How does BAH work? Do you need to book the same hotel for 5 nights or can it be 5 nights in different hotels over different days as long as same trip?
Booked via BAH, I am flying from GLA - LHR, staying overnight at the Thistle Hotel.Then LHR-IST, staying three nights in Istanbul, and finally IST - LHR staying at Thistle Hotel before flying back to GLA. Five nights in different hotels and double tier points.
tmac100 and mike&co like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Back in 2020 pre Covid a Honolulu via Bucharest run. Too many BPs for them to print out at OTP.

Day 1: EDI-LHR-OTP
Day 2: OTP-LHR-MAD
Day 3: MAD-JFK-LAX
Day 4: LAX-HNL
Day 7: HNL-LAX-JFK (into day 8)
Day 8: JFK-LHR-OTP
Day 9: OTP-LHR-EDI

Total cost booked via AA was under £1500 all in J booked less than a month out.

1280 TPs if my maths is correct.

Booked as I genuinely wanted a few days break in the sunshine and I got to add on a tonne of products and airports I hadn’t flown before- first time on IB J, first time in transcon AA J, first time doing the IB wide body hop to MAD from LHR, etc. so was a fun one.

Wife thought I was crackers.
BA or bust, vulle, YacozA and 5 others like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Not crazy, but a long time ago I was working in the region and managed to do a few BAH-DOH-BAH trips for 60 points each way. Cannot remember the cost, but is was very good value. And the flight was about 23 mins in the air, so easy to do in an evening.
I recall doing many of these BAH-DOH-BAH runs in First. It's what got me to Gold and hooked on Tier Point runs and FlyerTalk. The flight was just long enough to have the canapes and a drink and sometimes you would be the only person in the nose of a 747. Some cabin crew would insist that you took an amenity kit!
tmac100 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I recall doing many of these BAH-DOH-BAH runs in First. It's what got me to Gold and hooked on Tier Point runs and FlyerTalk. The flight was just long enough to have the canapes and a drink and sometimes you would be the only person in the nose of a 747. Some cabin crew would insist that you took an amenity kit!
I remember doing a DOH-BAH-DOH run one Saturday just to see what the posh 1st class Qatar Air lounge was like in DOH. Only for 1st class oassengers.

It was better than any lounge I have ever been in - before or since. The downside was that the booze-filled chocolates that I could easily buy at duty-free in DXB were not available at duty-free in BAH. But, I suppose it was because if the no-alcohol laws flying into several airports (including DOH) from BAH.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:52 am

AUH-MCT was great until BA realised what was going on with all the posts on flyertalk.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by muscat
AUH-MCT was great until BA realised what was going on with all the posts on flyertalk.
Call me cynical, but I did wonder if OP was a BA researcher looking for loopholes to close…
Old May 8, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Gold, Starbucks Gold
I'm guessing there are some sub-£1/TP 'crazy' options out there using the BAH promotion. Simply by taking 'normal' holidays, I'm already getting it below £2/TP, which isn't bad in my book...
gustavmahler likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BA or bust
Not crazy, but a long time ago I was working in the region and managed to do a few BAH-DOH-BAH trips for 60 points each way.
Wasn't it 180 points each way in F?

I did one (with you!) back in 2005 - I can't believe it's 19 years ago already! Only issue was the dry CX lounge at DOH for 2 hours or so.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I have thematic ones - for example I took one where I started off on the Sunair Dornier 328 from Aalborg and ended up on the A380 to Boston. it wasn't a great earner but it was a lot of fun. smallest to biggest.

I guess the most ludicrous earner I've ever booked is the £6k round the world ex Cairo with 12 of the 14 legs in F, for which the redoubtable nufnuf77 is really the responsible parent. As a non tp counterpoint to that, the £800 round the world (with an EC261 taking £220 off that on the first leg) on essentially LCC, based on a Simon Calder suggestion but elaborated by a friend who is really great at piecing together complex itineraries.

I have the 8 on the bounce SOF B2B on my charge sheet, and ask the court to take into account my 3x AUH to CGK run just pre-covid, when the airports shut behind me on the last flight, one after another.

Just about to start another themed trip, which is Svalbard to Ushuaia. The first part of that is on SAS, but then it turns into a run at Oslo - OSL->HEL->LHR->JFK->EZE return with the JFK legs in F. Then joining up to Aerolineas Argentinas for the legs to Ushuaia. I'd planned that pre-covid when it would have been possible to transfer onto Latam and take Finnair (or Wideroe as an AY codeshare I think) as far as Tromso.
Old May 8, 2024, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
My JER-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO-SAN run has come in at £1,955 for the flights alone - and 1880 TPs.

Obviously the double TPs offer helps, as do schedule changes

M
becks1 and timlewis808 like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
My tier point runs weren't that crazy as such, though the last one I did felt crazy simply because I slightly booked myself into a hole. I had a conference in Edinburgh on the Thursday (that I had a ticket for and had forgotten about) and had already pre-booked a hotel in Honolulu on the Monday (I booked it uncancellable for a "good" rate). So I needed to build an ex-EU around it to get enough points for Gold Status from the 800 odd I already had.
I saw a good deal from Venice on the Sunday that flew via LHR and BOS to LAX - all in one day and then a business class Alaska air ticket to Honolulu the next morning. The sheer horror of this didn't occur to me when I booked it - but basically it involved 23 hours of flying, a short overnight in LAX and then another 6 hours flying to Hawaii the next day, arriving way too early to check-in...
As I hate trying to sleep on flights on the way back (which I went back via San Diego for a few days and then a flight to LAX) I booked overnight stays and early flights in BOS and LHR and that was a lot more civilised. Then spent a week in Venice. But not sure I'll ever want to do the outbound trip again....
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by higham44
Booked via BAH, I am flying from GLA - LHR, staying overnight at the Thistle Hotel.Then LHR-IST, staying three nights in Istanbul, and finally IST - LHR staying at Thistle Hotel before flying back to GLA. Five nights in different hotels and double tier points.
Just back from Istanbul (5 nights) Very interesting city but not for the feint hearted. Grand bazaar was incredible. We really enjoyed our time there. DM me if you need any recommendations for transfers or advice re the tram system.
Old May 8, 2024, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ Skywards Gold/Hilton Diamond
Not that crazy compared to most on here but crazy enough for me needing 100 TP for gold. LHR to ATH in CE on the late night flight out next Fri and then straight back early Sat morning in economy plus
becks1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by muskysman
Not that crazy compared to most on here but crazy enough for me needing 100 TP for gold. LHR to ATH in CE on the late night flight out next Fri and then straight back early Sat morning in economy plus
That’s not crazy at all.

Not BA but I met a guy in Bogota doing AMS-FRA-BOG return, TWICE in succession, in LH F for requal.

Last edited by seanp7; May 8, 2024 at 5:32 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.