Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold for Life - Is this a record?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to the profoundly indifferent status - I've noticed precisely no change as a result of being GfL. However my previous benchmark is the earlier years of GGL where I got very well looked after.

It's a nice bauble to have - V class award availbility for ET, OW lounge access, First wing and exit row seating at booking are the big benefits.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Midships
I suspect some folk like CWS were well over the necessary when GFL was first introduced.

If you did LHR - JFK twice a month in first, it would take you about 3.5 years!
Even more impressively would be someone who did this trip in W twice a month would take them just over 8 years. J would be 5 years.

I wonder if anyone has got GGL or indeed GFL having never booked J. Although I would imagine they would get a fair amount of upgrades.
Midships likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by rapidex
Being a retired old fogey, and Gfl, the lounges are great, and the cabin crew go miles out of their way to look after you, even when sitting down the back.
That's what I am hoping for.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Is there a change in CIV when one transitions from GCH to GfL ? I must say that cabin crew all treat me indifferently regardless of where I sit.
I really don't know how CIV works, but I am guessing that your recent and future booked spend is probably of the most interest to them is assessing your value today, and how much you're on BA metal, rather than your thirty years of flying.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:54 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Pretty sure mine may well be in excess of 30 years, I have about 4 years to go at the current run rate. I concentrated on Virgin, Delta, Emirates and BMI until about 15 years ago, so my BA flying was patchy to say the least, avoiding them due to BAs behaviour in the Dirty Tricks scandal.
Midships likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Midships
Got it yesterday, first flight 23 Mar 1994, so 30 years and 9 days, (or 10,969 days).

Anyone taken longer?

(Oh, and two months until I retire!)
Congratulations! Welcome to the club.
Midships likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
If Im lucky (and maintain my current flying pattern), Ill make it in 20 years - for a total of about 40 years.
BA or bust, Midships and Bluekjp like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bafan
If Im lucky (and maintain my current flying pattern), Ill make it in 20 years - for a total of about 40 years.
At my current accrual rate its another 44 years to go for me, making a total of 98 years. Hmmm.

In my defence I have spent a lot of time doing staff travel which obviously doesnt accrue anything.
BA or bust and Midships like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Is there a change in CIV when one transitions from GCH to GfL ? I must say that cabin crew all treat me indifferently regardless of where I sit.
I think its more a looking after grandad syndrome
BA or bust, HIDDY and Midships like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:11 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Interesting thread, I'm not too familiar with BA but they appear to have a quite different and unique LT qualification scheme compared to most ST or *A FFP's
Midships likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:22 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
Interesting thread, I'm not too familiar with BA but they appear to have a quite different and unique LT qualification scheme compared to most ST or *A FFP's
OK, so how different are they?
Midships likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:33 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by BA or bust
LT elite qualification period spanning over eternity appears unique to me. In AF/KL Flying Blue for example you need to qualify for Platinum 10 years in a row, without interruption.
Midships likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:44 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Many would measure by number of consecutive years at a particular tier - Flying Blue, for example, requires 10 years at Platinum for lifetime.

But the BA method is certainly not unique either - I think Asiania is miles-based, as is United (and for UA, it's their metal that counts).

I took my first BA flight in June 1998 - in Y, to CDG, in order to attend some games at the World Cup that year. I recall a very uncomfortable few hours trying to catch a bit of sleep in the early hours on a seat in probably T4 having travelled from Norfolk at some ungodly hour, followed by a group of Scottish fans emptying the bar's entire collection of miniature bottles of whisky.

At current trajectory, having used pretty much only Skyteam and Star Alliance from then until the takeover of BMI, I should qualify around 2037 - like the OP, hopefully just before retirement.
Midships likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Iberia's equivalent to GfL is also based on total earning and is branded as a separate tier Infinita. AA needs 2 million miles to get Platinum for Life but that is still only OWS. I forget QFs criteria for lifetime OWE but thought it was a lot harder to obtain than BA GfL. It always struck me as odd that all TPs from oneworld carriers counted towards lifetime status on BA rather than those obtained from BA tickets or BA metal but I assume that oneworld had to validate the rules for these programmes so perhaps that was part of the deal.

Congratulations OP for your persistence over 30 years and your achievement!
Midships likes this.

Last edited by Robespierre; Apr 4, 2024 at 2:02 am
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Congratulations on your achievement!

I have been a sporadic flyer with BA since 1989, was Silver between 2014 and 2019 but now an occasional and reluctant Bronze; I will never be GFL so does that mean that I win a prize?
Midships likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.