Gold for Life - Is this a record?

Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:16 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Posts: 492
Gold for Life - Is this a record?

Got it yesterday, first flight 23 Mar 1994, so 30 years and 9 days, (or 10,969 days).

Anyone taken longer?

(Oh, and two months until I retire!)
Midships is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Posts: 481
Congratulations! It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Finland Station is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:27 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 872
Well done! As someone who started flying with BA (BOAC) in 1970 and only achieved Silver last year I think you've done brilliantly!

I wonder what the quickest is?
Saladman is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:27 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Posts: 4,227
Congratulations! I am always up for a challenge!

I reckon I will beat your record in due course. Due course being either an infinite number of years or… based on progress to date and cash available in the future… I will be aged one hundred and eleventy eleven.
BA or bust is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:39 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by Saladman
Well done! As someone who started flying with BA (BOAC) in 1970 and only achieved Silver last year I think you've done brilliantly!

I wonder what the quickest is?
I suspect some folk like CWS were well over the necessary when GFL was first introduced.

If you did LHR - JFK twice a month in first, it would take you about 3.5 years!
crazy8534, tunis97x and Pigeon49 like this.
Midships is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Posts: 4,437
Originally Posted by Midships
I suspect some folk like CWS were well over the necessary when GFL was first introduced.

If you did LHR - JFK twice a month in first, it would take you about 3.5 years!
There were some people who instantly became GGLfL when they introduced the tier- a couple of them posted at the time.
Amazing also when you bear in mind that for many years BA didn't award any TPs whatsoever for certain classes of travel.

Well done Midships- GfL in 30 years, you've been flying 9 years longer than I've been alive...
crazy8534 is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:46 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Posts: 481
It would be nice if BA made a little more effort with GfLs. It is a significant achievement, representing years of loyalty.
Finland Station is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GLA
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 2,958
At that rate you could have made GfL without ever being gold! Now that would be an interesting quirk!
Midships and cruser1 like this.
Scots_Al is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:55 am
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 10,129
Originally Posted by Finland Station
It would be nice if BA made a little more effort with GfLs. It is a significant achievement, representing years of loyalty.
I think by the creation of GfL at 35k is the reward in itself? Why not add them to Group 0 too?

Gold/Emerald privileges are quite good really and to gain perhaps 30 or more years for some is quite generous but YMMV as always.

Oh, congratulations Midships
PETER01 is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:00 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, ARN, HEL, ..... or MAN
Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 5,875
Just before retirement - seems to me you've achieved GFL in the best way possible - gently, without stress and just in time.
Midships, cruser1 and ameyam like this.
ThatT1Feeling is online now  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:16 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by crazy8534

Well done Midships- GfL in 30 years, you've been flying 9 years longer than I've been alive...
Well that makes me feel a lot better about things.
crazy8534, Swanhunter and SwedeT like this.
Midships is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:17 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Just before retirement - seems to me you've achieved GFL in the best way possible - gently, without stress and just in time.
Indeed, Mrs. M. has set it as a goal for me, somewhere nice to sit before heading off across Europe once we get back from Singapore.
Midships is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:16 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,596
Originally Posted by Midships
Got it yesterday, first flight 23 Mar 1994, so 30 years and 9 days, (or 10,969 days).

Anyone taken longer?

(Oh, and two months until I retire!)
Being a retired old fogey, and Gfl, the lounges are great, and the cabin crew go miles out of their way to look after you, even when sitting down the back.
Midships, Bluekjp and Pigeon49 like this.
rapidex is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:00 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,158
Originally Posted by rapidex
Being a retired old fogey, and Gfl, the lounges are great, and the cabin crew go miles out of their way to look after you, even when sitting down the back.
Is there a change in CIV when one transitions from GCH to GfL ? I must say that cabin crew all treat me indifferently regardless of where I sit.
TGLoyalty, Midships, Ramos and 1 others like this.
Tafflyer is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:03 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Posts: 481
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Is there a change in CIV when one transitions from GCH to GfL ?
I don't believe so.
Midships likes this.
Finland Station is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.