Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bags must go to final destination 2024 version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M

I'll be arriving in London at 1300 GMT from my vacation in US in business and have the flight departing next day in the morning on the same itinerary. I obviously want to collect my luggage in LHR, so that I don't need to carry around excess vacation-luggage when I'm flying next day for business meetings...

Are [check in staff] more open minded nowadays?

Cheers

Last edited by golfmad; Mar 8, 2024 at 11:31 pm Reason: Removed reference to 2013 thread
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I had a BOS-LHR-BUD flight last year and was able to short ship the bag to LHR so it could be dropped off in the Left Luggage place in T3. Always worth asking at the desk, especially easier as you have an overnight layover so you can argue you need things out of your case.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I have an Ex-EU later this month with around 15 hours (overnight) in LHR. I'd like to see anyone try and tell me I can't have my bag back for an overnighter.
QR did this refused my bag for an overnighter at Doha.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:51 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Cris L
QR did this refused my bag for an overnighter at Doha.
Are you replying to a post from 2013? Someone has resurrected this thread just a few posts above. The pulse rate of the original thread participants may not be as high or even present any more.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chmielko
Renewing and using the old thread to see if there are any new information on that matter?

I'll be arriving in London at 1300 GMT from my vacation in US in business and have the flight departing next day in the morning on the same itinerary. I obviously want to collect my luggage in LHR, so that I don't need to carry around excess vacation-luggage when I'm flying next day for business meetings...
Same day connections at LHR generally require checking to the final destination. Overnight connections - it should be the passenger's choice, with the default being final destination but the passenger can ask to short check. If the"connection" is over 24 hours on the schedule (not actuality) then bags will be returned at LHR.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the"connection" is over 24 hours on the schedule (not actuality) then bags will be returned at LHR.
Thanks. What do you mean by the above? my flight arrives at 1300 GMT and the connecting flight is next day at 800 GMT. Including the trip from US its way over 24 hours does this automatically mean my bag will be checked to LHR only?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Thanks. What do you mean by the above? my flight arrives at 1300 GMT and the connecting flight is next day at 800 GMT. Including the trip from US its way over 24 hours does this automatically mean my bag will be checked to LHR only?
you should be able to do either

default would be checked through, but if you want to get the bag in heathrow and re check it the following morning that should be OK

without the over night they would check through, no option to collect
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Well this is a blast from the past! Ex-TIP! Those were the days! Although I was never brave enough to try one.

Back OT, short-checking bags is highly carrier specific. You’ll have more luck persuading an AA check-in agent to give you his/her first-born child than to short check a bag. BA is generally more relaxed. But this is a tricky area, so unless you are experienced and/or are prepared for all eventualities, plan accordingly.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Yes. I'll be getting mine back. I've just checked and it's actually 23 hours at LHR between arrival and departure the following day. I also fully intend to take the connecting flight, but will still need my bag back at LHR.
in practice though, if you insist are they obliged to return your bag?

genuine question?

what if they say no? (At least until after the connecting flight departure time)?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
in practice though, if you insist are they obliged to return your bag?

genuine question?

what if they say no? (At least until after the connecting flight departure time)?
I believe the decade old answer in this post still applies.
BillyBleach likes this.

Last edited by golfmad; Mar 8, 2024 at 11:46 pm Reason: Changed reference text to post in another thread
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Simple, as CWS said:
1. If your flight has a transit at LHR is more than 24 hours, you will have to collect your bags at LHR and you need to check them in yourself for the next flight when check in opens.
2. If your flight does not have an overnight transit your bags will be checked through to your final destination.
3. If your flight has an overnight transit but your transit time is less than 24 hours, the default is to check to your final destination UNLESS you ask at check in.

In your case point 3 applies, unless you specifically request to have your bags short checked to LHR they will check them to the final destination.

Under point 2 there is very limited flexibility unless there are special circumstances that the check in agent agrees with. Don’t count on this to happen.

Globalist
irishguy28 and chmielko like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
This thread title is misleading.

There is no universal rule that bags have to be checked through to final destination. I have never had an occasion when BA has refused to short check one of my bags. Unless I have missed something, there has been no announcement from BA on this topic that changes the current practice.
LCSinTexas and oceanscape like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finland Station

There is no universal rule that bags have to be checked through to final destination. I have never had an occasion when BA has refused to short check one of my bags. Unless I have missed something, there has been no announcement from BA on this topic that changes the current practice.
You’ve been lucky - I have had refusals on several occasions and I know of many others too.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver

agreed and same experience too for me.
only ever had an issue with AA.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

It is a general rule that BA certainly imposes in certain markets, particularly USA and Canada - and asks AA to impose on BA passengers (and I've seen the guidance on this). It was all about third country itineraries, so typically MIA-LHR-DUB when a number of people would mysteriously not make the final DUB, leading to various operational problems and delays on LHR-DUB. The fact that AA is involved is interesting since their rules are 6 or 12 hours for connections on through checked luggage, rather than the rest of the world's 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.