Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bags must go to final destination 2024 version

Bags must go to final destination 2024 version

Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is a general rule that BA certainly imposes in certain markets, particularly USA and Canada - and asks AA to impose on BA passengers (and I've seen the guidance on this). It was all about third country itineraries, so typically MIA-LHR-DUB when a number of people would mysteriously not make the final DUB, leading to various operational problems and delays on LHR-DUB. The fact that AA is involved is interesting since their rules are 6 or 12 hours for connections on through checked luggage, rather than the rest of the world's 24 hours.
As I referenced upthread, AA has a totally different policy. So if my itinerary is LAX(AA)-MIA(BA)-LHR(BA)-DUB, Iíve got no chance of the AA agent at LAX checking the bags only to LHR.

Whereas, checking in with a BA station in US (MIA-LHR-DUB sticking with the above example), I have never had an issue. I always fly all sectors, but I donít want my bags going to DUB so that I can do B2B.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
in practice though, if you insist are they obliged to return your bag?

genuine question?

what if they say no? (At least until after the connecting flight departure time)?
I have recent experience of this. Flying back JFK to BUD with a night stop in LHR. At JFK check in I forgot to ask for the bags to be short checked to LHR as we were in a rush so only realised on landing that my bags would not be appearing. You can ask for your bags to be retrieved at the baggage desk and it took around an hour. I collected the bag from the belt they told me it would be on and then walked the bag through customs and left. Not painless but certainly entirely possible.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I had a BOS-LHR-BUD flight last year and was able to short ship the bag to LHR so it could be dropped off in the Left Luggage place in T3. Always worth asking at the desk, especially easier as you have an overnight layover so you can argue you need things out of your case.
Be careful. It won't always happen...

A number of years ago I got a good RT price with Emirates going DOH-IST with an overnight stop in DXB both ways on the RT. Going to Istanbul, Emirates allowed me to short-check my bag to DXB, which was great because I had PJs etc for my overnight. On the way back to DOH, I was initially short-checked to DXB - which was great as I was bringing some Portuguese Port to friends in Dubai. But, on the IST airport intercom I was called back to the Emirates check in desk and was told they had to check my bag through to DOH. Despite protests and saying I had some clothes, etc., need for my overnight stay in DXB, they insisted!

The end result was that in DOH my bottles of Port were confiscated (as I knew they would be) because Qatar does not allow anyone to bring alcohol into the country.

Thus, be careful with what staff on any airlines tell you and then eventually do. 😉

Last edited by tmac100; Mar 9, 2024 at 9:07 am
Old Mar 9, 2024, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Jan 2024. MIA-LHR-GOT (20 hour overnight layover at LHR) - Bags automatically checked through to LHR only without asking. Same as 2023.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100
Emirates allowed me to shirt-check my bag to DXB, which was great because I had PJs etc for my overnight.
But, on the IST airport intercom I was called back to the Emirates check in desk and was told they had to check my bag through to DOH. Despite protests and saying I had some clothes, etc., need for my overnight stay in DXB, they insisted!
shirt, PJs and clothes?

Maybe you should have asked for a skirt-check on the return

tmac100 and binman like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 5:21 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
On the way vack to DOH, I was initially short-checked to DXB - which was great as I was bringing some Portuguese Port to friends in Dubai. But, on the IST airport intercom I was called back to the Emirates check in desk and was told they had to check my bag through to DOH.
I had a similar experience on EK, but wasn't advised that the bag had been re-tagged. I found out when reporting the bag missing at DXB, where my baggage receipt said it was tagged to. There was a note explaining that the short-check had been presumed by a supervisor to be an error. After a half hour wait it was retrieved and sent to one of the oversize lifts.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Youíve been lucky - I have had refusals on several occasions and I know of many others too.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
shirt, PJs and clothes?

Maybe you should have asked for a skirt-check on the return

Nice one! Corrected typos - I think all of 'em. 😉
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
These days I only ever encounter issues with agents with this in the USA. They've never refused to short check a bag for me if the connection is overnight. If the connection was the same day, I would fully expect to be refused.

Of course, if you know when booking that you will need your bag short checked, then this can be made a lot easier by booking your onward connection from a different airport (so in the case of London, fly into LHR but book your onward connection out of City or Gatters).
EuropeanPete and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:17 am

Also never had an issue short checking to LHR when an overnight stay is involved.

In reverse, from LHR to the USA, all bags are technically short checked as they must be picked up from the belt at first port of entry and carried through customs then placed on the recheck belt. There is nothing to stop you just walking out with your bag, quite handy for hidden city itineraries which I would never condone.
chmielko likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
In reverse, from LHR to the USA, all bags are technically short checked as they must be picked up from the belt at first port of entry and carried through customs then placed on the recheck belt.
Except for a few airports like MIA.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by mec72
Except for a few airports like MIA.
The exception for MIA and DFW is only for I-I connections, the poster above was talking about I-D where it absolutely is required.

Back to topic, for an overnight connection BA policy is to allow short-checking on request, this is because it is entirely reasonable that you might have pyjamas (etc.) the bag. There will be no problem arranging this, though you do have to ask for it as the default is to send it through. For same-day connections the policy is to through-check and you’re relying on favours to have it otherwise.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Same day connections at LHR generally require checking to the final destination. Overnight connections - it should be the passenger's choice, with the default being final destination but the passenger can ask to short check. If the"connection" is over 24 hours on the schedule (not actuality) then bags will be returned at LHR.
Not if you encounter the ever unhelpful AA staff at LAX as I did! LAX-BUD via LHR and they were immovable. I donít argue and simply pleaded my case ( no pun intended) at T3 which resulted in the bag being returned.

Until this event Iíd never encountered this from the USA. I might add that the fact Iíd flown from HNL the day before and had been allowed to get my bag at LAX counted for nought!

I think the issues in the US means that AA may be less flexible today than BA but people should be prepared for a refusal.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
If they refuse to short check you can still get your bag at the airport make up whatever excuse you want.

Yes itís a faff but ultimately probably easier than trying to convince some jobs worth dragon Ö itís your property and perfectly reasonable if youíre staying overnight or have gifts for friends etc
binman and MatJarosz like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Help!

I've been re-routed from DEN-DFW-MAD to DEN-LHR-MAD. I now get to MAD too late to be of any use. UK based so planning on making my way home from LHR.

I specifically only checked in online for the DEN-LHR leg, but in my sleep-deprived state i neglected to double check this at bag-drop. I realised in the middle of security that my luggage tag said MAD.

Do I just go to baggage services in arrivals and explain my predicament and they'll find it for me?

Thanks
Old May 12, 2024, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by the-doctor
Help!

I've been re-routed from DEN-DFW-MAD to DEN-LHR-MAD. I now get to MAD too late to be of any use. UK based so planning on making my way home from LHR.

I specifically only checked in online for the DEN-LHR leg, but in my sleep-deprived state i neglected to double check this at bag-drop. I realised in the middle of security that my luggage tag said MAD.

Do I just go to baggage services in arrivals and explain my predicament and they'll find it for me?

Thanks
​​​​​​In your sleep deprived state you might have packed some essential medication in your checked bag. This will require you to ask for it back at LHR. You'd just need to go the bag services desk in arrivals as you've mentioned.
the-doctor and jonr405 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.