Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checked in at YYZ for Sri Lanka trip, no visa to India. Deboarded. Help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked in at YYZ for Sri Lanka trip, no visa to India. Deboarded. Help.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Thanks everyone. I knew somehow somewhere I was also to blame, but the wording is pretty clear that transit less than 24 hours doesnt require it. GGL advised this actually, which doesnt make it their fault, but its frustrating.

Going to see if we can avoid the India leg again in 2 weeks, my year rolls on the 8, Ill toss a joker that direction if I need to and see what happens.

wish it would have been caught in Toronto, not on the plane with limited time to plan and regroup. Ironically, my passport was fine, it was my partners that snagged it. Not sure why. Identical passport/tickets etc. and showed the agent in Toronto my Sri Lanka itinerary.

Again, thanks. I know I play a part, just another rough start to a vacation this time #3 where I had to be rerouted on the outbound.
wrp96, crazy8534 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:18 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Not sure how viable it would be but you could try find out how much it would be to have BA reroute you to Dubai or Doha. Somewhere you could pick up a flight to Sri Lanka relatively inexpensively . Maybe even changing your ex-India ticket
was going to suggest MLE
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Separate tickets from/to/through India do not work. India's rules are very clear that they do not allow transit on separate tickets.
I've transited DEL on different OW airlines with the same PNR and ticket number, and even then it's not a walk in the park! It would appear DEL is not the best airport to transit through. It does not adopt the typical transit processes that you would experience in other leading airports. It is mired in bureaucracy and unnecessary procedures - I'm sure it's there for no other purpose than to create local jobs. And if global industry practices can't be adopted in the capital city, God only knows that the process would be like in other major Indian airports. I would steer clear of Indian transit at any cost. Indian visas for British passport holders are also ridiculous expensive.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 47Chits
Thanks everyone. I knew somehow somewhere I was also to blame, but the wording is pretty clear that transit less than 24 hours doesnt require it. GGL advised this actually, which doesnt make it their fault, but its frustrating.
I dont wish to disagree at a difficult time for you, but timatic as noted in the other linked thread seems to state transit without visa needs to be same ticket.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35973662-post8.html

TWOV (Transit Without Visa)
Passengers transiting through Bangalore (BLR), Chennai (MAA), Delhi (DEL), Kolkata (CCU) or Mumbai (BOM) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 24 hours. The connecting flight must be booked on the same ticket and the luggage must be checked to the final destination.

They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and
have documents required for the next destination.
orbitmic, wrp96, Tobias-UK and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes unfortunately for the op, it’s one case where India have removed pretty much any ambiguity as to the conditions of the visa free transit: 1) time limit, 2) specific airports, 3) single ticket, 4) any luggage through checked and 5) not allowed to leave the airside area.

in this case the itinerary breaches 3) and that is it really so agree with others on applying for the evisa hoping for a quick outcome and hoping the ba ticket can be changed and hoping the ul ticket can be changed, or alternatively try to change destination but this may well have a not insignificant cost.
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 3, 2024 at 1:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.