Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checked in at YYZ for Sri Lanka trip, no visa to India. Deboarded. Help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR

Just got deplaned.

Have tickets YYZ to LHR (where we now are stuck) then to BOM then to CMB.

Have Sri Lankan visas, but no India. Booking is separate to Sri Lanka on Sri Lankan and less than 3 hours layover.

Now missing the SL flights and my tour.

Anything to say to help get me out of here? GGL line not working? Not much luck with BA these days
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Exactly the same thing happened to another poster a few weeks back (ticket UK to India, separate ticket on UL to Sri Lanka and was denied boarding as no India visa ). I can’t immediately recall the thread title to post but it had lots of advice on there.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:58 am

Programs: AA PLT
The advice was to get an Indian visa. As far as BA is concerned, your trip ends in India. Anything else is beyond their remit.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Found it

Denied Boarding by British Airways

Best advice from CWS was to get evisa quickly and ask for BA to rebook you to next day . Good luck
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
This is the thread
Denied Boarding by British Airways
wrldwide1 and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, AS,AA,HILTON,IHG
The rub is that an Indian evisa must be approved and we all know that is not necessarily instant.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Separate tickets from/to/through India do not work. India's rules are very clear that they do not allow transit on separate tickets.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:14 am

Not sure how viable it would be but you could try find out how much it would be to have BA reroute you to Dubai or Doha. Somewhere you could pick up a flight to Sri Lanka relatively inexpensively . Maybe even changing your ex-India ticket
Sheepfan likes this.

Last edited by sammyg901; Mar 2, 2024 at 1:30 pm Reason: Unfortunate typo!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:37 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Not sure how viable it would be but you could try find out how much it would be to have BA reroute you to Dubai or Doha. Somewhere you could pick up a flight to Sri Lanka relatively *in*expensively . Maybe even changing your ex-India ticket
Not a bad shout. It would require being nice to people as well as being a GGL but it might work and be quicker than an evisa.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:13 am

You really only have a few options

get the visa which can take time
buy a new ticket where it is all on one pnr
reroute thru the middle east

all are potentially costly solutions and on you, your best bet is probably the reroute and you might be able to get ba to work with you, this should have been picked up prior to your first segment but doesn’t always, keep in mind it was your responsibility not to be blaming but to pint out ba doesn’t have to do anything though they might well
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would apply for the e-visa ASAP. I have a US passport and got my last one in less than an hour in November. I have had a few Indian Visas, which might have helped move it on. It might be worth a try.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Not sure how viable it would be but you could try find out how much it would be to have BA reroute you to Dubai or Doha. Somewhere you could pick up a flight to Sri Lanka relatively expensively . Maybe even changing your ex-India ticket
In fact, QR flies DOH-CMB, so you could try simply re-routing LHR-DOH-CMB.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:16 pm
BSS

Programs: BAEC Silver
Re-routing via Male may also be an option not requiring a visa
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
Separate tickets from/to/through India do not work. India's rules are very clear that they do not allow transit on separate tickets.
Similarly about 10 years ago, my Air India flight stopped in Mumbai, then I was to go to Kolkata and then on to Dakkah - all on one PNR. Nope! Indian immigration stopped me at Mumbai and made me get a direct flight from Mumbai to Dakkah. I was fined a small amount, but AI was hit with a big fine. On the return there was only 1 stop in India.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 47Chits
Anything to say to help get me out of here? GGL line not working? Not much luck with BA these days
The GGL line should be open, it switches (ironically) to India at 20:00 hrs. Unfortunately this is a semi-well-known gotcha, and though there's a reference to a recent thread, that in turn is part of several other threads, six in all, where others have been caught out. But yes, while it is best to check this before travel, to make the very unhelpful point, at this stage you should be trying to get a defer for a day and hope the e-visa comes through overnight.
crazy8534 and bisonrav like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.