Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of BA destinations in Asia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Palty
Hi all,
I'm fuming, and shocked, to see the lack of routes BA flies to in Asia, it jut doesn't add up.
For instance if one wants to fly to Manila good luck even trying to book that on BA, it doesn't even come up on their search bar,
So then i just started to have a look around and noticed just how little Asia service BA has, e.g. no flights to the Philippines, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Thailand , Cambodia and just so much more,
Yes i know that they are plenty of other oneworld airlines that fly there but it would be nice to even have the bare minimum option to even book on the BA website...
OK rant over..
Fuming and shocked?? Bit dramatic

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
You're missing the point, its about flying to major key cities and not focusing so much on secondary US cities as an example....
No, it's about making money - which BA have determined is best done by flying to US secondary cities rather than "major key cities".

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You're missing the point, its about flying to major key cities and not focusing so much on secondary US cities as an example....
It clearly makes more commercial sense to BA for them to fly to secondary US cities rather than major cities elsewhere. More demand, less direct competition, better use of aircraft and crew...

I also suspect better connecting traffic from european shorthaul to US destinations. Being based in krk, flying 2 hours west to go east does not always make sense
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
OP did admit it was a rant, but I don’t get the underlying thought behind this thread at all. BA doesn’t have a ‘requirement’ to fly anywhere. Their route network is a commercial decision, and BA may have many faults but they are financially astute.

The whole ‘an airline should fly to x, y and z’ approach is very statist and 1970s.
flygirl68, DiamondMile and DXB2745 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
But there are so many more US cities BA needs to fly to before it goes anywhere else. I still don't have my LIT-LHR flight.
Vaterland likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Interestingly though fares to Asia are quite a bit higher. I wonder often why they have multiple flights to US destinations that are priced a lot lower than what BA charge going East. Premium pricing for example to SYD is completely out of whack - is it really so much more expensive to operate? Qatar is no longer cheap and able to out compete BA on price (and neither is EK). Wondering not in the least because I have a GUF2 I need to use in the next 6 months...
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:24 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I am sorry to be blunt but you are missing the point.... It is about a company making as much money as it can with the resources it has end of story.

You are suggesting BA or sod it every carrier should fly from their home airport to every major city in the world. forget the fact some secondary cities may have huge business markets that pay top $$$
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ung1
Interestingly though fares to Asia are quite a bit higher. I wonder often why they have multiple flights to US destinations that are priced a lot lower than what BA charge going East. Premium pricing for example to SYD is completely out of whack - is it really so much more expensive to operate? Qatar is no longer cheap and able to out compete BA on price (and neither is EK). Wondering not in the least because I have a GUF2 I need to use in the next 6 months...
how many times can an aircraft fly back and forward to new york in the same time it takes one rotation to syd?
flygirl68, wrp96, etiene and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CT-UK
I am sorry to be blunt but you are missing the point.... It is about a company making as much money as it can with the resources it has end of story.

You are suggesting BA or sod it every carrier should fly from their home airport to every major city in the world. forget the fact some secondary cities may have huge business markets that pay top $$$
I agree With you. I do. But I also believe 2 things can be true at once,
BA can take some lessons of turkish airlines for instance, flying everywhere without coming at a cost of having no more aircaft left to fly to other big cities.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:47 am

I agree With you. I do. But I also believe 2 things can be true at once,
BA can take some lessons of turkish airlines for instance, flying everywhere without coming at a cost of having no more aircaft left to fly to other big cities.
LHR is slot restricted. Istanbul is not.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, TK Elite, Dragonpass, HH Silver
Turkish doesn't have anything like the same cost of labour either
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:22 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
If you think LHR gives BA special treatment, nothing compared with TK at IST. What a daft comparison.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
There you have it.
Yeah - you can't seem to do Flight + Hotel but you can book flight only and then add the hotel afterwards. Just gave it a try and the hotel options are displayed once you've selected your outbound and return flights. I think the intern must be doing some tinkering.
orbitmic and DeathSlam like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:27 am

Check prices on Cathay. They're almost always cheaper than BA. You can save even more if you're willing to fly ex-EU.

I always check AMS, FRA and CDG. We're off to Taiwan from CDG for half the BA price later this year.

There is, currently, a BA J sale which had a few seats at ~£2,6000 to HKG from LHR, but if you fly further afield the prices go back up to the usual £4-5,000.

Note: Holiday bookings don't seem available to destinations BA don't fly to themselves. Also, if you want a stop-over in HKG, the website won't book it; you'll need to phone up. I used to do this before switching my long-haul to Cathay, and they'd always waive the phone booking fee.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CT-UK

Indeed.
I'm pretty sure we all wish BA would serve a destination they don't already serve whenever we have to go there once in a blue moon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.