Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of BA destinations in Asia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Lack of BA destinations in Asia

Hi all,
I'm fuming, and shocked, to see the lack of routes BA flies to in Asia, it jut doesn't add up.
For instance if one wants to fly to Manila good luck even trying to book that on BA, it doesn't even come up on their search bar,
So then i just started to have a look around and noticed just how little Asia service BA has, e.g. no flights to the Philippines, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Thailand , Cambodia and just so much more,
Yes i know that they are plenty of other oneworld airlines that fly there but it would be nice to even have the bare minimum option to even book on the BA website...
OK rant over..
lsquare, DaveS, anniegray and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Palty; Mar 1, 2024 at 3:51 am Reason: Post moved from another thread.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Palty
Hi all,
I'm fuming, and shocked, to see the lack of routes BA flies to in Asia, it jut doesn't add up.
For instance if one wants to fly to Manila good luck even trying to book that on BA, it doesn't even come up on their search bar,
So then i just started to have a look around and noticed just how little Asia service BA has, e.g. no flights to the Philippines, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Thailand , Cambodia and just so much more,
Yes i know that they are plenty of other oneworld airlines that fly there but it would be nice to even have the bare minimum option to even book on the BA website...
OK rant over..
I’m not quite sure why there is any need to be fuming or shocked by BA’s lack of flights to Asia - you can always book with another airline instead.

My personal preference is Turkish Airlines who have fantastic food, a great lounge in Istanbul and excellent connections to interesting places ranging from Dushanbe to Dhaka and Bishkek to Bangkok.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:13 am

They’ve pretty much given this market to QR, and codeshare with them. Agree though, I would love to see more Asian routes.
1Aturnleft, lsquare, J343 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I would agree. Asia is much better served by other airlines, including Oneworld alliance airlines, QR, CX, JAL, Finnair, just to name a few. All of them will have clean planes, as a start.
lsquare, J343, jonr405 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I think for BA itself the calcs have changed since Russian airspace is closed. Still air travel demand is comparatively slow in Asia as well.

Much better options than BA available, I miss the KL flight though.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:21 am
Original Poster

fuming in the sense that it doesn't even give me the option to book it on their website, as i really need to be there, my only option to fly there with a redemption without breaking the bank on taxes would be to position myself somewhere and i cant do that every time i need to fly to Asia which is a lot and i'm sure many people would agree with me on this.

Besides take for example an airline like Biman they fly into LHR from 2 cities, you're telling me that there's no demand to fly there? or Thailand we've got Eva, or Malaysia we've got Malaysia airlines and so on and so on...its ridiculous
Aurelian likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:28 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
This is a commercial decision… and it is exacerbated by a lack of aircraft and crew to run the services even if BA wanted to. Though you might not agree, BA has taken a commercial decision not to run these services (though it relies on codeshares for some of them). At an individual customer level it is frustrating… but from a strategic perspective it is most probably right.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Yup - the Transatlantic JBA is such a goldmine for them that it makes sense for them to pile capacity into secondary US cities. The other advantage is that most of these allow them to run routes on a 24-hour cycle (i.e. the plane is ready to depart on another rotation from LHR 24 hours after it last left there) - Asia, particularly with Russian airspace closed, doesn't allow that (Finnair could do it pre-COVID and that was pretty much their business model). Couple that to most routes requiring crew rest, 2 nights down route and a lot of them being fairly light on business demand (Manila, BKK and even Seoul being such examples) and you can see why they choose the US, even if I'd prefer that they didn't!
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
fuming in the sense that it doesn't even give me the option to book it on their website, as i really need to be there, my only option to fly there with a redemption without breaking the bank on taxes would be to position myself somewhere and i cant do that every time i need to fly to Asia which is a lot and i'm sure many people would agree with me on this.

Besides take for example an airline like Biman they fly into LHR from 2 cities, you're telling me that there's no demand to fly there? or Thailand we've got Eva, or Malaysia we've got Malaysia airlines and so on and so on...its ridiculous
If you need to book a redemption ticket then it's quite simple to move Avios over to QR and redeem them there. Doesn't help if you were planning to use an Amex voucher to help with the cost.

I can't remember the date but soon, if not already, you'll be able to do the same with Finnair.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:39 am
Original Poster

This whole US secondary BA thing is crazy, (i could be wrong) but i think more people would want to see more Asian flights rather than a flight to Wyoming or some place,
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Pre-pandemic I travelled regularly to China and oneworld was always way more expensive than AF/KL and obviously the Chinese airlines so it was very hard to justify Ba/CX/QR unless there happened to be a good deal. Not sure what it's like these days as I'm not flying for work at the moment.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
This whole US secondary BA thing is crazy, (i could be wrong) but i think more people would want to see more Asian flights rather than a flight to Wyoming or some place,
I agree - I much prefer travelling east than west. Maybe I should just go the long way round instead
BA or bust and Palty like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Similar issue here when booking a trip to BKK. On the flip side it's good for tier points, as you get double with one stop.
Palty likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flipside - flying QR is a much nicer experience and they serve a far wider range of destinations than would ever be feasible for BA to serve.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Fuming that you can’t get a Reward flight for a few quid to an Asian city ?! That's probably why BA aren't prioritising the routes you mention.

Just book another airline or use Avios to Singapore / HKG and buy an onwards flight
DiamondMile and DXB2745 like this.

Last edited by mikeyfly; Mar 2, 2024 at 12:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.