Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MMB - Online check-in doesn't work - date of birth error!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue

I'm so fed up with BA IT now, in particular the new MMB. Being forced to use it for the past couple of weeks,
I find on my return trip that I can't check in online because there is a date of birth check which fails.

Please confirm your date of birth to proceed. This is an extra security measure to protect your personal information.

Please enter the correct date of birth

I've redacted my personal information - I do actually know my own DoB. BA IT has failed again and I can't check in online.
This is just ridiculous
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:46 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by camdentown
I'm so fed up with BA IT now, in particular the new MMB. Being forced to use it for the past couple of weeks,
I find on my return trip that I can't check in online because there is a date of birth check which fails.

Please confirm your date of birth to proceed. This is an extra security measure to protect your personal information.

Please enter the correct date of birth

I've redacted my personal information - I do actually know my own DoB. BA IT has failed again and I can't check in online.
This is just ridiculous
I found this a few weeks ago. After over twenty years of using a shortened version of my name on BAEC, suddenly computer says no and I could not complete a booking.Though my details were correct on the bit of my BAEC account where your passport details are held (which flows through to API etc.) there were other parts of my account where my shortened name were held (think Jon and Jonathan or Rob and Robert).
Unbelievably after going on the phone to BAEC, they only way they would fix THEIR PROBLEM was for me to email ina scan of my passport.

So camdentown yes it is ridiculous but don't take it personally it is just the normal love you get from BAs fantastic IT systems!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
I found this a few weeks ago. After over twenty years of using a shortened version of my name on BAEC, suddenly computer says no and I could not complete a booking.Though my details were correct on the bit of my BAEC account where your passport details are held (which flows through to API etc.) there were other parts of my account where my shortened name were held (think Jon and Jonathan or Rob and Robert).
Unbelievably after going on the phone to BAEC, they only way they would fix THEIR PROBLEM was for me to email ina scan of my passport.

So camdentown yes it is ridiculous but don't take it personally it is just the normal love you get from BAs fantastic IT systems!
To be fair, using a shortened version of the name that appears on your passport is bound to cause issues eventually. Far better to be consistent, and use your correct name everywhere.
stifle likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:04 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Misco60
To be fair, using a shortened version of the name that appears on your passport is bound to cause issues eventually. Far better to be consistent, and use your correct name everywhere.
Fair point, but it does not explain how for over 20 years BA has been fine for me to use my shortened name, addresses me in communications with it and allowed me to book flights with it. Never an issue until a few weeks ago.
I can think of at least four financial services companies I have accounts with who are happy with me to have a full official name recorded but address me as my shortened name (and I can see both on my account).

BUT the bigger issue AFAIWK is that the agent on the phone would not book a flight for me (one not possible online) despite the ability for her to see elsewhere in my BAEC my full name and passport details. So I had to scan and send in a passport that they already had on their system and I had used many times over the past few years. That was poor IMHO. Rant over.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:26 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
I had similar a few months back. GGL explained that the DOB on the booking was a month earlier than my DOB and changed it back for me. I really struggle to think that I entered my DOB incorrectly, but who knows?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I had this on another thread somewhere - in that case I was checking my wife in and the DOB was rejected on one flight but not the preceding connecting flight. Come to think of its the rejected one might have been AA operated and I dont recall trying the Imperial date format.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA or bust

Thanks BAorbust -
in my case my name doesn't have a short version, so its probably something else ...
the sympathy is welcome though
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
I had this on another thread somewhere - in that case I was checking my wife in and the DOB was rejected on one flight but not the preceding connecting flight. Come to think of its the rejected one might have been AA operated and I dont recall trying the Imperial date format.
Ah - that might be it - thanks!
It was a journey with a connection on AA.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:06 am

It's not just BA. I had a similar experience with Singapore Airlines when I set up my wife's FF account - I hadn't realized that there was a discrepancy between the booking and the FF account - I had left out her middle name on the FF acount. Had to scan and send passport page to them to get it corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.