Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crazy8534
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning you’ll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the ‘doubled’ TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned <1500TPs) until 30th April 2026.

Print Wikipost

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by testycal
I apologize but I do not have time this time to review the thread
  1. TP year end = Nov 8
  2. earned Gold as of Sept 2023 so have it to Dec 2024?
  3. intended to fly the cheapest BA flights 2024 and start earning TP for Silver as of Nov 9 2024 while I enjoyed soft landing Silver during 2025 with the hope I would qualify for Silver for 2026
  4. always understood that I receive soft landing for 2025 from Gold to Silver - has this changed with the new rules?
I am very confused by the interplay of the soft landing and when I need to start earning TP to qualify for Silver going forward. Assistant required and appreciated.
This is your worked example courtesy of BA
  • Your current Tier Point Collection Year will continue as normal until 8 November 2024. The status you achieve during this period will expire on 31 December 2025
  • Your next collection period will be 9 November 2024 - 31 March 2025
  • Tier Point Adjustment: we'll add on any Tier Points you earn during 1 April - 8 November 2024 to work out your Tier status
  • Any Tier status you earn during the transition period (i.e. your next tier point collection period which starts on 9 November 2024 and is shortened to end 31 March 2025, with the Tier point adjustment applied) will expire on 30 April 2026
My understanding is:

You have gold to the end of 2024 and soft land to silver until the end of 2025 as per point 1, Then bronze until 30th April 2026 as per point 4.

So I believe your best bet is to wait until Apr 2025 and then get your TP and flights in before the end of 2025 to renew and maintain silver to End March 2027, basically ignoring the transition period entirely.

That is how I believe it works… greater minds than mine may offer corrections!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by JapesUK
My understanding is:

You have gold to the end of 2024 and soft land to silver until the end of 2025 as per point 1, Then bronze until 30th April 2026 as per point 4.

So I believe your best bet is to wait until Apr 2025 and then get your TP and flights in before the end of 2025 to renew and maintain silver to End March 2027, basically ignoring the transition period entirely.

That is how I believe it works… greater minds than mine may offer corrections!
Me too. I think that is a very good analysis there JapesUK.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by jimlad48
Hi Folks

Just trying to do some maths and thinking about whether to push myself for gold renewal.

Situation:

Gold, old year Feb – Feb.

Currently planned travel Feb 24 – Feb 25 – 1760TP

Booked Travel between Apr 24 and Mar 25 – 1160TP

To confirm my understanding – I am on track to renew Gold by October 2024, so I will enjoy Gold status until 31 Mar 2026.

If I were to reach 1500TP between 1 Apr 2024 and 31 Mar 2025, I would retain gold status until 31 Mar 2027?

If so, investing in 340TP for an extra years gold seems pretty sensible to me.

Technical question – I have a J return flight on 2 April that is booked as part of a BAH booking, departing 25 Mar. I’m assuming that the 140 bonus TP will credit as a March date, not an April date (which would make things much easier!)

Thanks!
The BA worked example, see the last point.
  • Your Tier Point Collection Year will renew on 9 February 2024 and continue as normal until 8 February 2025. The status you achieve during this period will expire on 31 March 2026
  • The following collection period will be 9 February - 31 March 2025
  • Tier Point Adjustment: we'll add on any Tier Points you earn during 1 April 2024 - 8 February 2025 to work out your Tier status
  • Any Tier status you earn during the transition period (i.e. your next tier point collection period which starts on 9 February 2025 and is shortened to end 31 March 2025, with the Tier point adjustment applied) will expire on 30 April 2026
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
With everyone's year TP collection year ending at the same time, rather than spread out as previously, is this likely to lead to increased demand/higher prices in March as more people might squeeze in an extra flight (or two) before the end of that month to retain or move up a tier?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:04 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by andrelux
With everyone's year TP collection year ending at the same time, rather than spread out as previously, is this likely to lead to increased demand/higher prices in March as more people might squeeze in an extra flight (or two) before the end of that month to retain or move up a tier?
I don't think we have any way of knowing for sure, but standardising the collection year has worked ok for other airlines.
And despite the activity here, we have to think that TP hounds are only a small minority of BA customers.
scottishpoet likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andrelux
I think that most people just take flights when they need to travel and any status accrued is the outcome of the travel - I think that those that take flights for the purpose of status are a small number
BA or bust and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I don't think we have any way of knowing for sure, but standardising the collection year has worked ok for other airlines.
And despite the activity here, we have to think that TP hounds are only a small minority of BA customers.
Yes, I suspect you're right, although working out OK for the airlines is not really what I was thinking of. People having to book flights in more expensive buckets would most definitely be working out OK for the airlines, but not necessarily for passengers' wallets.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I have today received an email from BA saying that what will happen is that when my current tier point year ends, the points I have earned during the tier point overlap will be added to (what ba is calling) the new, shorter, collection year. These points will be added of the shorter year within 2 weeks of the end of old year finishing

as an example

if your current TP ends on May 8th

the short year will be may 9th to march 31st

the points earned from april 1 to may 8th will be added to the short year by 23rd may so you can then track your remaining balance.
SavvyTravel likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 21, 2024 at 3:10 pm
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: BA GGL
In the past days everybody was asking about the tier point adjustment of the shortened year.

My question is about the 4 eligible BA flights needed. Will they be adjusted too ???

If the last full year will be December 2023 until December 2024 and the following shortened year will be December 2024 until April 2025, will the eligible BA flights made between April 2024 and December 2024 be adjusted too? In other words: will the eligible BA flights made between April 2024 and December 2024 count into both collecting years (i.e. into the last full year as well as into the following shortened year)?

LilZeppelin and zoombee like this.

Last edited by wait2fly; Mar 24, 2024 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:46 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by nigelw
BA have not stated there will be no double counting with such benefits. Some people have assumed it, but BA have not announced it. BA have announced there will be no double counting with Lifetime TP, but they have not said this for any other benefit. Presumably if they had made that decision, they would have announced it at the same time. They have announced the concept of the Shortened Tier Point Collection year, but have not announced it will differ in any way from any other collection year other than it will be shortened and will have a Tier Point adjustment made at some point in it. Once again it seems reasonable to assume that if they had decided that the shortened TP year was going to have some different rules, they would have announced them at the same time as they announced its existence.
Has anyone considered asking BA to confirm what will happen with these post 2500 benefits? In my case, and I imagine many others here with long perioda between April and their historic year end, it would make a big difference to my flying decisions.

I'm currently just bronze but already due to earn 2500 tps in my "double dipping" period. With some juggling which will cost me a fair amount I can instead earn 5000. That cost and juggling would be worth it if I would get a guf2 and guf1s and jokers for the shortened year (in addition to the normal year before it) due to the tps earned in the double dipping period but would not otherwise be worth it. So knowing the rules has a significant effect on me and it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect to be told the rules of this change BA is implementing.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:12 am

Quick question and apologies if I missed this in the FAQ.

My TP year end is Oct 8th. My Gold card expires on Nov. 30th. I am going to let it lapse this year.

Generally I would do a TP run and manufacture some organic travel between Oct. 9th and Nov. 30th to get gold back until Nov. 30th 2026.

However, if I were to do that this year, would my gold card expire March 31st 2026 or 2027?

Cheers, Stephen.

​​​
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by stephenjc
Quick question and apologies if I missed this in the FAQ.

My TP year end is Oct 8th. My Gold card expires on Nov. 30th. I am going to let it lapse this year.

Generally I would do a TP run and manufacture some organic travel between Oct. 9th and Nov. 30th to get gold back until Nov. 30th 2026.

However, if I were to do that this year, would my gold card expire March 31st 2026 or 2027?

Cheers, Stephen.

​​​
the assumption is you would get it for the rest of the short year (to end of April 25) and the whole of the first full year of the new format, end of april 26. you would then have till the end of march 26 to renew to april 27
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
the assumption is you would get it for the rest of the short year (to end of April 25) and the whole of the first full year of the new format, end of april 26. you would then have till the end of march 26 to renew to april 27
Thanks, so we're assuming the card would expire at the end of April 2027 or April 2026?
If it's April 2026, then via the new dates I'd be losing out on over 6 months of the card versus the old system.
If it's April 2027, then I'd gain 6 months.
If it's the latter, then I'll think about getting the points, if not, I might just let it all lapse and try the cheapest carriers irrespective of alliance.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by stephenjc
Thanks, so we're assuming the card would expire at the end of April 2027 or April 2026?
If it's April 2026, then via the new dates I'd be losing out on over 6 months of the card versus the old system.
If it's April 2027, then I'd gain 6 months.
If it's the latter, then I'll think about getting the points, if not, I might just let it all lapse and try the cheapest carriers irrespective of alliance.
The rest of the short year to April 25 and the whole of the year to the end of April 26

because of the short year with the potentially reduced TP earning requirement you would "lose" 6 months
stephenjc likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
The rest of the short year to April 25 and the whole of the year to the end of April 26

because of the short year with the potentially reduced TP earning requirement you would "lose" 6 months
Thanks, not what I wanted to hear, but thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.