Wiki Posts
Search

BA pilot attacked in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Is CPT safer to walk around?
I'm flying there next month on Delta but it will be a first visit to ZA.
I would be cautious.

Marina area is safe within the shopping and restuarant complex. But other areas I would remain vigilant, even in the day. Camps bay is lovely and ok in the daytime, but in the evening the doormen in the bar will advise not walking outside of their view even between bars.

If you wish to see the Cape Town, I would recommend the Hop on-Hop Off sightseeing bus, and try not to hop off too much.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm just back from Cape Town and the winelands and had no issues, although we didn't venture beyond the V&A waterfront at night in CT. Someone we met had a necklace ripped from their neck during the daytime on one of the streets in the central area of CT, so you do need to be careful and definitely don't wear or carry anything that looks expensive.

Separately, I overheard a couple of pilots at LHR talking about a Go Fund Me for the pilot involved in the JNB incident this morning.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I'm just back from Cape Town and the winelands and had no issues, although we didn't venture beyond the V&A waterfront at night in CT. Someone we met had a necklace ripped from their neck during the daytime on one of the streets in the central area of CT, so you do need to be careful and definitely don't wear or carry anything that looks expensive.
Yes, our trip to CPT in 2017 had the following incident recorded in my TR ...

More tourist wandering, this time up Long Street and through St. Georges market. We felt perfectly safe, until we were accosted by a couple of Public Safety officers who suggested that iWife shouldnt be wearing a visible gold chain! Apparently there is a risk of grab-and-run with exposed jewellery. Lesson learned!!
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think one of the dangers of CPT is that it is "not as bad as J'burg" and therefore people get a bit complacent. It remains a pretty dangerous place and I would exercise utmost caution. The fact that it is safer than J'Burg is a very low benchmark I'm afraid.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
SA is a very, very dangerous place and is multiplied 1,000 fold for tourists.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by simon stingray
Cape Town is much safer than Johannesburg and is generally safe to walk during daylight hours.
Big fat NOPEY! Not too long ago, I almost got mugged or worse, kidnapped, by a guy with a gun when my Uber driver (Uber itself in principle being much safer than taxis in this country) happened to drop me literally just across the road from the Hilton. Luckily, the doorman at the Hilton was very observant and came across the street to help which made the thug run off in an instant.

So safer than Joburg? Maybe, if that is a standard anyone who is not suicidal wants to go by. But safe, whether during the day or at night? No way!
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:57 am

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Thank you everyone for the Cape Town comments.
Your insight is very helpful.
Sydneyberlin and DXB2745 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
How would you say things have changed since January 2008? That was when we went to South Africa and Ive been wondering what it would be like to go back
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
As someone who goes there more or less every year I don't feel the safety situation has gotten better or worse ... clearly it's bad in any objective comparison with many other places, but as a tourist if you're sensible I don't feel it's a huge issue based on my numerous experiences .. I've never had anything remotely untowards happen to me on any visit and I don't exercise excessive caution, but am sensible .. Have stayed in many different areas and mostly self drive .. The core downtown area of CT is pretty sketchy at night .. I wouldn't walk far there after dark ( but I wouldn't not go there either ) .. Waterfront is fine ( but much of it is a bit 'sterile' for my liking!) .. the area around Kloof St which has lots of restaurants/bars has always seemed okay to me at night .. Be sensible and as street smart as you can
BA235 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, Marriott Bonvoy TfL
Someone tried to sell me some crystal meth in broad daylight outside Cape Town Railway Station last July.
But that area has always been sketchville.
EvilDoctorK and Sydneyberlin like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:07 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
I've got a stop in JNB next month then getting a connection down to CPT.

Will be staying in Kommetjie most of the time other than a run down the coast and a couple of nights somewhere else.
Driving etc. will be done by a local Tour Guide who just happens to be one of my best friends.
We've sort of done the main areas of Cape Town so many times that we want something different this time.

I'll just observe sensible thinngs like not wearing (taking) expensive watches, jewelry and cameras etc.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:06 am

The BA incident occurred at the Checkers Blubird across Corlett Drive from Melrose Arch according to the accounts I have read. Appears another BA-related incident last year with crew member mugged while jogging near the Arch. The advice up thread is correct - make no security assumptions! We spent time in Sandton and the Cape in November and were always careful but having lived in Joburg for 8 years it is second nature.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:46 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Just wait for a story involving a shorthaul destination and they'll show a file photo of... a 747. It all balances out. Sort of.
Called it! https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/b...-b1133732.html
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by JAXBA
To be fair to them, they seem to have finally become aware of their errors and so captioned the photo:

STOCK PHOTO OF BRITISH AIRWAYS PLANE
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:53 am

Deleted post to keep the moral peace of the forum posters ☮️

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Mar 2, 2024 at 12:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.