Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA pilot attacked in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
BA pilot attacked in South Africa

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...th-Africa.html

I get all my news from the DM unfortunately......but this article caught my eye, a stark reminder of what can happen out there.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What a horrid read, I hope they're recovering from their ordeal.

I wonder how many stops were required on that A319 ? !
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:44 am

Attached?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
I asked the moderators to change to "attacked", don't think I can do it myself. Auto-correction at its finest....
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I asked the moderators to change to "attacked", don't think I can do it myself. Auto-correction at its finest....
it’s a very serious incident, and we have had some management advice on security etc. Don’t know any details of the incident except to say it sounded horrific, I hope the individual is okay - in the short and long term. Be safe out there
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:13 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
That is indeed scary - hope the individual in question is ok!
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
This is frightening. I have stayed at the Marriott in Melrose Arch and worked in Joburg. It is indeed a very dangerous place. Lots of flight crews stay at that hotel and they should go to the Woolworth's inside the complex instead of stepping outside it. I hope the BA First Officer recovers soon.
TheRealBabushka and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Isn't this the 2nd time this has happened? ISTR a BA captain out for a jog was mugged last year in Joburg.
becks1 and DXB2745 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Isn't this the 2nd time this has happened? ISTR a BA captain out for a jog was mugged last year in Joburg.
yes, this story https://www.news24.com/news24/southa...pound-20230717

Might be time to stop staying near melrose arches.

For sure time to better brief staff to understand the risks better !!! i can provide them with the details of my driver when in jnb. You need to have a driver take you anywhere. I know it is tempting to cross the road to a supermarket for a bottle of water

Last edited by scottishpoet; Jan 11, 2024 at 6:57 am
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poor First officer. Nasty ordeal.

However for those worrying, this is 2 blocks out of the gated area of Melrose Arch. It doesn't say what time of day but walking on foot in Jozi after dark isn't something to be done. Flight crew are going to be an obvious target too.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
it’s a very serious incident, and we have had some management advice on security etc.
Obviously an awful incident, horrific for the pilot involved, and they deserve every bit of support.

But, depending on what was actually said about security and whether it was advice or an instruction: if it turns out the pilot did not follow a safety-related instruction, what happens then? Again, and to be clear, not blaming the pilot, just curious how BA approaches such issues.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, WN RapidRewards, DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What a horrid read, I hope they're recovering from their ordeal.

I wonder how many stops were required on that A319 ? !
Probably a recreation of the old bulge route: LHR - LIS - SAL - WDH - JNB 🤣🤣🤣

On a serious note, best wishes for a speedy recovery to the FO.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:49 am

Indeed, Joburg is one of the most criminal places in ZA. I hope he will recover soon.
I saw an A321 on the picture. I thought BA flies only A350s or 777s to JNB and CPT ? An A321 should make multiple stops.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, WN RapidRewards, DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Indeed, Joburg is one of the most criminal places in ZA. I hope he will recover soon.
I saw an A321 on the picture. I thought BA flies only A350s or 777s to JNB and CPT ? An A321 should make multiple stops.
They do state it's a file photo
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Just wait for a story involving a shorthaul destination and they'll show a file photo of... a 747. It all balances out. Sort of.
wrp96, nancypants, SxMan and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.