Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Can someone please decipher this : "BA 285 SFO - TECY - G-XLEG aog in JNB with a doubly buggered WX RDR too". Inbound flight from JNB canceled?
Originally Posted by chacor
XLEG is stuck in Johannesburg with *double* broken weather radars is how I read that.
Quite correct, apologies for the short hand industry slang. AOG = Aircraft On Ground (stuck due to technical issue) and WX means weather. RDR, radar. My handle itself is aviation short hand for significant weather/sigwx.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by kzolini
Thank you so much, Ill push BA one more time and then proceed to CEDR. So sorry but what are codes GB 0030 and FM 0018?
GB is late catering and FM effectively means load and balance control issues
kzolini likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Quite correct, apologies for the short hand industry slang. AOG = Aircraft On Ground (stuck due to technical issue) and WX means weather. RDR, radar. My handle itself is aviation short hand for significant weather/sigwx.
Thanks ! So was it a WX problem in JNB or in LHR? And it was not what another FT'r said : "XLEG is stuck in Johannesburg with *double* broken weather radars is how I read that." ?? Of course if it was weather related in either city, no one would be entitled to any compensation.

I just can't imagine what BA could do with almost 400 passengers on the LHR-SFO flight when it canceled. There's no way of rerouting that many passengers on other flights even on other airlines.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Thanks ! So was it a WX problem in JNB or in LHR? And it was not what another FT'r said : "XLEG is stuck in Johannesburg with *double* broken weather radars is how I read that." ?? Of course if it was weather related in either city, no one would be entitled to any compensation.

I just can't imagine what BA could do with almost 400 passengers on the LHR-SFO flight when it canceled. There's no way of rerouting that many passengers on other flights even on other airlines.
I suggest you read Sigwx's post more carefully. chacor's post was correct.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Wednesday 24 April 2024

Cancellations:

BA316 CDG
BA346 NCE
BA812 CPH
BA213 BOS

There are 330 BA departures from LHR today out of 673 total. Timekeeping quite good today, at least so far, however the Detling area (Dover-ish) has some restructions due to weather. ATC report is fairly relaxed.

Landing RWY: 27R
Airborne holding (mins): 3
Departure RWY: 27L
TSAT delay average (mins): 1

Network: 33 Regulations across Europe. LGAV (Athens) Arrivals regulated due to ATC capacity - Low to moderate delays.
LFMM(Marseille) MF3 sector regulated due to Airspace Management - Low to moderate delays.

Weather: Cloud breaking up during the afternoon, allowing for sunny spells.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
It was all air conditioning and thus ultimately pressurisation related. One of the right hand cabin air compressors failed, no problem in itself per se, still one for the right hand air conditioning pack still working, a go item with a few restrictions but in the whole not at all limiting. Then in flight up at 40,000ft the left hand air conditioning pack failed. Procedure followed and descent initiated to get to a level in order to reset the pack. The reset failed. You now have only one pack with one source of air to pressurise the aircraft, you are about to set off over the Atlantic and youve had a gradually cascading set of related failures on a critical system. There is no chance Id personally be taking that aircraft over the pond given that set of circumstances. So thats the expanded reason.
Thank you very much Sigwx, for your detailed reply.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:06 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
How far in advance will flight cancellations for the French air traffic control strike on Thursday 25th be announced?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Usually the evening beforehand.
flyingbee likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:51 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by flyingbee
How far in advance will flight cancellations for the French air traffic control strike on Thursday 25th be announced?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Usually the evening beforehand.
The strike has been called off last minute (although I read there may still be some cancellations but not at the level threatened).
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:55 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
My wife is flying YUL-BCN on BA leaving tonight (24th) on BA94, she just got the email that her LHR-BCN flight is cancelled (BA474 on the 25th) and there is no more room on any flights to BCN on the 25th apparently. So should she just cancel her whole trip and get refunded? Seems pretty bush league from BA to have no availability to BCN for a non-event.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:06 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
My wife is flying YUL-BCN on BA leaving tonight (24th) on BA94, she just got the email that her LHR-BCN flight is cancelled (BA474 on the 25th) and there is no more room on any flights to BCN on the 25th apparently. So should she just cancel her whole trip and get refunded? Seems pretty bush league from BA to have no availability to BCN for a non-event.
All BA LHR-BCN flights tomorrow are indeed fully booked - no doubt because all of the customers who could be reaccomodated from the 3(!) cancellations are already rebooked.

Still plenty of seats left to BCN on Vueling, albeit that would require a transfer from LHR to LGW.

Alternatively your wife should ask to be re-routed via alternative cities. I can't immediately see any Oneworld-only options with less than 2 changes or avoiding transfers between airports. But if you open it up to all carriers (bearing in mind BA must re-route "at the earliest opportunity") then you have 1-change options via ZRH, FRA, MUC, AMS, LIS or indeed the AC direct flight. Availability this close to departure does depend on class of travel though.

She should only accept a refund if she no longer wants to travel at all.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:14 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by flarmip
All BA LHR-BCN flights tomorrow are indeed fully booked - no doubt because all of the customers who could be reaccomodated from the 3(!) cancellations are already rebooked.

Still plenty of seats left to BCN on Vueling, albeit that would require a transfer from LHR to LGW.

Alternatively your wife should ask to be re-routed via alternative cities. I can't immediately see any Oneworld-only options with less than 2 changes or avoiding transfers between airports. But if you open it up to all carriers (bearing in mind BA must re-route "at the earliest opportunity") then you have 1-change options via ZRH, FRA, MUC, AMS, LIS or indeed the AC direct flight. Availability this close to departure does depend on class of travel though.

She should only accept a refund if she no longer wants to travel at all.
Keep getting hung up on by BA (and very difficult to understand agents making the job tougher) repeatedly so this is not a great rebooking experience. Got a helpful agent who booked her on VY8133 LHR-BCN at 2050pm

Thank you for the response
LCSinTexas and flarmip like this.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Apr 24, 2024 at 10:24 am
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:51 pm

Indeed it is technical issues that led to the delay. I show arrival on stand at 0000UTC, or 2:50 of delay. I dont have the door opening time so if you happen to know it was over 3 hours then submit a claim in any case and in your two lines mention the delay to getting doors opened after parking on stand. If they refuse your claim just go to CEDR and when they submit their OPNL legs report the doors time will be there and your claim will be valid if over 3 hours.
Thank you so much. That is very helpful.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Wednesday 24 April 2024

Cancellations:

BA316 CDG
BA346 NCE
BA812 CPH
BA213 BOS

All of the above are TECY. 8 s/h aircraft tech and 2 380s
Old Apr 25, 2024, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Thursday 25 April - Feast day for St. Mark, big day in Italy.

Quite a lot of cancellations thanks to industrial action over France. The strike has been called off but airlines including BA had scrubbed the services and from the ATC report below there is nevertheless reduced capacity over France today. Other airlines such as AF and IB have also cut services. Either way the following will be INDN.

BA364 LYS
BA736 GVA
BA584 MXP
BA322 CDG
BA554 FCO
BA716 ZRH
BA596 VCE
BA568 LIN
BA354 NCE
BA362 LYS
BA316 CDG
BA732 GVA
BA368 MRS
BA406 BCN
BA528 LIS
BA474 BCN
BA336 MRS
BA308 CDG
BA546 FCO
BA712 ZRH
BA484 BCN
BA752 BSL
BA372 TLS
BA342 NCE
BA304 CDG
BA366 MRS

EDIT
BA213 BOS
The BOS cancellation was done at 17:22, several hours after the advertised departure

So just 316 departures for BA today, out of 646 for LHR as a whole. Timekeeping today is good. The ATC report is below but the regulation was cancelled at 11:20 hrs.

Landing RWY: 27R
Airborne holding (mins): 2
Departure RWY: 27L
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

EGLLTC Reg: 42/60 0540-1400z due weather. Average CTOT delays for EGLL arrivals 10-15mins.
Network: 153 regulations across Europe for first rotations. High CTOT delays all day due French Industrial Action. Moderate TSAT delays can also be expected later for none regulated traffic. Average CTOT delays for EGLL departures
25-30mins (with peaks ~90mins).

Weather: Westerly Pref Ops (Low risk of Easterly Ops during the evening period). Sunny spells for the morning before becoming cloudy in the afternoon with showers (sometimes heavy) possible.
alex67500, LCSinTexas and Bluekjp like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 25, 2024 at 2:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.