Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by enemigo
Wonder if C-W-S or Sigwx could explain a bit more why LPPT has had quite bad delays for the past few days?

Am travelling later today with a tight connection at LHR and a bit worried about making the flight (which would’ve missed it last few days!)

Ove the last few days there have been
1. A military funeral
2. CB clouds -weather
3. Airspace management issues.

So not one single cause, just a variety of different issues.
enemigo likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Fairon
Hi, does anyone have more info on the delay of BA978 on 19th April 2024 LHR-HAJ? It should be a technical problems, but I am also looking for confirmation the plane was over three hours late. The plane actually landed with less than three hours delay, but there was a problem with the airbridge, so everyone was only able to exit with >3 hour delay. Thanks.
Indeed it is technical issues that led to the delay. I show arrival on stand at 0000UTC, or 2:50 of delay. I don’t have the door opening time so if you happen to know it was over 3 hours then submit a claim in any case and in your two lines mention the delay to getting doors opened after parking on stand. If they refuse your claim just go to CEDR and when they submit their ‘OPNL legs report’ the doors time will be there and your claim will be valid if over 3 hours.
PETER01 and Fairon like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Currently sat on BA289 (LHR-PHX) April 22.

After a late arriving aircraft delay, then a baggage offloading delay, we've pushed back from T3 gate 25, and now are stuck in the alleyway, because the tug is broken down and can't detach.

Thus blocking quite a number of gates.

Thats a new delay reason for me...
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:24 am

Info requested BA56 22nd April

Dear knowledgeable people.

Long time reader, now first post on this forum.
Would anybody know anything about the BA56 departing Johannesburg today 22/4.
After waiting in the jet bridge for 30 minutes, boarding still not started. Followed by announcement that due to operational reasons boarding is delayed for at least half an hour. Now back in the boarding area with no information provided.
Anybody out here with some info on this operational delay.

Thanks in advance for your help!

New information!
Captain just announced that the weather radar is not serviceable. Might be a additional night in Johannesburg.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by JWGiesbers; Apr 22, 2024 at 11:58 am
Old Apr 22, 2024, 3:06 pm

Submitted a compensation claim for BA0285 LHR>SFO on 16th March (over 4hrs delayed). On the day, the pilot said the delay was due to an aircraft being damaged by lightning, which seems to be in line with what I’ve seen here… but the claim was denied as BA are claiming the delay was due to adverse weather and beyond their control. Any idea where they could be getting this from? Delay code would be hugely helpful if possible! 🙏

Originally Posted by Sigwx
It will be a success without any doubt.
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Yes both are tech delays. 285 needed an aircraft swap to LEA as LEH is damaged and 107 LEF had an oil leak, various fuel pump seals changed and a third pilot has had to be called in due to the ongoing delay. Boarding was late as no TRM was assigned. Oh and a main wheel needed changing too. FTLs get challenging from 1915 onwards but the ultimate stopper would be 2110 and having not left stand. I see it has now slipped to 1815 for the estimated off blocks time to BA107. Best of luck.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
BA0269 LAX-LHR 23APR Cancelled

We’ve just been advised that this flight has been cancelled tomorrow. We’ve been rerouted LAX-JFK-LHR, with JFK-LHR in CW instead of F.

jXan anyone help with the reason please (apart from general 388 issues)?

I assume we’re up for UK261 compensation again (late running outbound 5 weeks ago) and for something for the downgrade on part of the itinerary? Any hints on what we should expect would be appreciated.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:41 pm

Hi everyone
BA12 SIN-LHR took off from SIN around 3 hours ago but hasn’t got very far. Still circling over SIN after turning back. Any ideas why this flight is delayed?
Cheers
Old Apr 22, 2024, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Saturday 20 April - update2

BA71, the newly restored AUH service cancelled! It may be a computer rather than real cancellation..
Was with a 777 Captain on Saturday on rest days who’d received the text asking for volunteers for this flight, so presume it was staffing issues. Can’t recall if it was for the positioning flight or the first service
Old Apr 22, 2024, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Rbaines
Hi everyone
BA12 SIN-LHR took off from SIN around 3 hours ago but hasn’t got very far. Still circling over SIN after turning back. Any ideas why this flight is delayed?
Cheers
see this thread.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...rning-sin.html
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118

After a late arriving aircraft delay, then a baggage offloading delay, we've pushed back from T3 gate 25, and now are stuck in the alleyway, because the tug is broken down and can't detach.

And the delay was long enough to cause a misconnect at PHX, and a forced overnight. I plan to file a UK261 claim, can anyone see what the delay is coded as?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by kzolini
Submitted a compensation claim for BA0285 LHR>SFO on 16th March (over 4hrs delayed). On the day, the pilot said the delay was due to an aircraft being damaged by lightning, which seems to be in line with what I’ve seen here… but the claim was denied as BA are claiming the delay was due to adverse weather and beyond their control. Any idea where they could be getting this from? Delay code would be hugely helpful if possible! 🙏

BA are back in fob off mode. You’ll need to proceed to CEDR. G-XLEH had lightning strike damage and the aircraft was switched due to this defect to G-XLEA. Beceause BA do not have enough aircraft in their feet to have a spare at their home base, the delay due to waiting for the first available aircraft was 4 hours and 10 minutes. (TC 0410). There was also a test of the cabin in p mat plug and various bags were offloaded due to downgrades. Codes GB 0030 and FM 0018 also appear.

As BA don’t bother having 1. Enough aircraft, and 2. The ability to keep them at least semi serviceable - you are due compensation but BA have decided to drag their feet, no doubt given the large number of pax they are due to compensate, so do proceed to CEDR if you wish to.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by bernardh
We’ve just been advised that this flight has been cancelled tomorrow. We’ve been rerouted LAX-JFK-LHR, with JFK-LHR in CW instead of F.

jXan anyone help with the reason please (apart from general 388 issues)?

I assume we’re up for UK261 compensation again (late running outbound 5 weeks ago) and for something for the downgrade on part of the itinerary? Any hints on what we should expect would be appreciated.

BA 269 LAX - TECY - Directly linked to BA 12 returning to SIN, no aircraft available.
bernardh likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:21 pm

And the delay was long enough to cause a misconnect at PHX, and a forced overnight. I plan to file a UK261 claim, can anyone see what the delay is coded as?
The delay codes are referenced to delays to brake release for departure and are not generally noted after departure has occured. There is a code of AMO 0033 due to multiple push back congestion, and a note that the aircraft was late on stand which will be due to a towing movement.

The times in utc for you to make note of for claims are the STD of 1345, brakes release for departure (ATD) 1418 and take off at 1516.
STA was 0030, landing times was 0100 and arrival time 0108.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Was with a 777 Captain on Saturday on rest days who’d received the text asking for volunteers for this flight, so presume it was staffing issues. Can’t recall if it was for the positioning flight or the first service
Both the AUH services operated. One was an additional to repatriate stranded DXB pax stuck in London and vice versa.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 12:27 am

BA 216 IAD-LHR departing Monday 22nd has diverted into BOS due to technical issues.

BA 56 JNB-LHR - both weather radars u/s so retuned to stand. Planning a day light flight home on the 24th at 0800 utc.

BA 12 SIN-LHR same reason as above, double radar failure.

Tuesday 23rd April
BA 189 EWR - TECY - G-ZBLC is off to IAD instead and BLA is in the hanger.
BA 203 BOS - now operating as BA203Z
BA 1382 MAN - TECY
BA 269 LAX - TECY due to G-XLED aog in SIN WX RDR buggered.
BA 285 SFO - TECY - G-XLEG aog in JNB with a doubly buggered WX RDR too.

Last edited by Sigwx; Apr 23, 2024 at 3:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.