Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:30 am

BA35 of the 22nd is in effect the removal of the BA35 on the 21st which departed over 24 hours late due to manage on G-ZBJA.

Today BA285 SFO is down as DAMN - however both airframes assigned and de-allocated are both flying without issue. It stems from a lack of airframes due to XLEE being out of action due to fuselage damage. DAMN for BA 285 yet BA 295 ORD is DAMY and its the same issue, lack of serviceability on the fleet. Any claims for BA285 will need to go to CEDR, it appears the code is individual on duty dependant.

BA273 SAN - No Captain - FCRY.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Does anyone know what happened to G-EUYI operating BA766 to OSL today? It returned to LHR in the middle of the North Sea. G-EUUE has been substituted which was meant to be my plane for BA770 to OSL tonight, and my flight BA770 is now showing a rolling delay of almost 2 hours. Does anything think they can find a spare A320 and reduce the delay? As otherwise I am going to miss the last train into Oslo and be on the hook for a 100 cab.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Does anyone know what happened to G-EUYI operating BA766 to OSL today? It returned to LHR in the middle of the North Sea. G-EUUE has been substituted which was meant to be my plane for BA770 to OSL tonight, and my flight BA770 is now showing a rolling delay of almost 2 hours. Does anything think they can find a spare A320 and reduce the delay? As otherwise I am going to miss the last train into Oslo and be on the hook for a 100 cab.

Airborn return due to a tech issue. BA770 now operated by G-EUYJ which will be coming in from BUD prior to your OSL. ETD now 2107 ex LHR.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Airborn return due to a tech issue. BA770 now operated by G-EUYJ which will be coming in from BUD prior to your OSL. ETD now 2107 ex LHR.
Thanks so much! Now, the perennial question, do we go to the airport on time or later I mean theres zero chance of them pulling it in any earlier?
Sigwx likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Thanks so much! Now, the perennial question, do we go to the airport on time or later I mean theres zero chance of them pulling it in any earlier?
Go ontime, there could always be another sub.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Go ontime, there could always be another sub.
And there has been, G-EUUW (very Schitts Creek) from MXP now and back on time!
mikeyfly and Amlb like this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 10:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Saturday 24 February 2024

A quiet day on the whole, with the ontime arrival/departure stats pitching at so-so levels. The one cancellation for today came around a few hours before departure, a 789. Looking at the numbers, I think they pushed at least a few people via BA179 to JFK, which gives an AA connection that gets in under 2 hours late to BOS. I'm guessing technical or crew, but we need to wait for confirmation there.

BA239 BOS

Otherwise it's 301 departures today from LHR for BA. So interesting things on ATC report this afternoon. Does anyone know what DET MDI means? There was 40 minutes of that 16:20 hrs.

Landing RWY: 27R from 1500
Airborne holding (mins): 11
Departure RWY: 27 FROM 1500
TSAT delay average (mins): 4 due rotational delay

Network: Moderate delays for Lisbon due capacity and Heathrow rate due weather is at 44/60 until 1700.

Weather: Weather avoiding in the SE UK
Pre-tact rate for tomorrow due ML risk LVP's and strong winds. 0620-1000 36/60 and1000-2000 40/60

Inspections: 27R 1530 and 27L afterwards
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
MDI is Minimum Departure Interval.

On westerlies this is normally one departure every two minutes on the DET route (Detling, which coasts out over Dover). If there is weather around, or if the Dover sector looks getting near to max capacity (in a shorter timeframe than can be solved by ATC slots) an increased MDI of, for example, one every four, or six, minutes might be applied for a short period.

Last edited by Heathrow Tower; Feb 24, 2024 at 12:18 pm
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you, so that makes more sense, it was shown as 1/4 so one every 4 minutes on that route. I say it was for 40 minutes, but I see it was cancelled after about 10 minutes so it looks like a fairly tactical response to the traffic.
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Whats happening with todays BA408 LHR-VLC? Got a weird series of messages from Flighty a few hours ago which I just saw now: one saying it (or the inbound flight?) was canceled and then another saying it was delayed to 1125-ish. Now I look on Flighty and it seems scheduled to leave as planned. Any insights?

edited to add: looks like BA sent an email earlier saying Please be advised that your flight may be delayed today because of air traffic control restrictions in the London area, this is due to adverse weather.

If you have a connecting flight as part of the same ticket and theres a chance you may miss your connection, we'll automatically rebook your onward journey
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:10 am

Programs: \_(ツ)_/
Originally Posted by salut0
Whats happening with todays BA408 LHR-VLC? Got a weird series of messages from Flighty a few hours ago which I just saw now: one saying it (or the inbound flight?) was canceled and then another saying it was delayed to 1125-ish. Now I look on Flighty and it seems scheduled to leave as planned. Any insights?

edited to add: looks like BA sent an email earlier saying Please be advised that your flight may be delayed today because of air traffic control restrictions in the London area, this is due to adverse weather.

If you have a connecting flight as part of the same ticket and theres a chance you may miss your connection, we'll automatically rebook your onward journey
Got the same message from BA. According to our FO (BA473) it is due to fog and restrictions on arriving aircraft.

Edit: even fligtradar does not have correct info. For my flight it shows departure 10:15, but our new slot is 10:40
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salut0
Originally Posted by VorelNaCestach
Got the same message from BA. According to our FO (BA473) it is due to fog and restrictions on arriving aircraft.

Edit: even fligtradar does not have correct info. For my flight it shows departure 10:15, but our new slot is 10:40
See the section in bold of post 337 and my next post.
LCSinTexas and VorelNaCestach like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Sunday 25 February - Second Sunday in Lent

Due to visibility issues there are some cancels today

BA982 BER = WEAN
BA308 CDG = WEAN
BA834 DUB = WEAN
BA714 ZRH = WEAN
BA1418 BHD = WEAN
BA700 VIE (again) = WEAN
BA1326 NCL = WEAN
BA392 BRU = WEAN
BA175 JFK

Leaving 320 departures today for BA from LHR, quite a busy schedule still. The ATC report is below, and the latest Regulation update is 40/60 for the rest of today. That's not a massive reduction but it's unusual to be all day long.

Landing RWY: 09R
Airborne holding (mins): 10
Departure RWY: 09R
TSAT delay average (mins): 3

Network: EGLL 24/60 0620-0900, 36/60 0900-1000, 1000-2200 40/60. 62 Regulations across Europe.

Weather: A cold start with airframe icing likely at first and ice possibly forming on untreated surfaces. A High risk of LVPs remaining until 09Z, with a Low risk of LVP or VIS2 conditions from 09-10Z. Perhaps a couple of light showers from 11Z ahead of a front arriving, associated with a centre of low pressure moving eastwards through the Channel, also lowering QNH < 996 hPa. Rain arrives from 14Z, remaining for the rest of the day with some heavier, drizzly bursts possible from 15Z.
VorelNaCestach likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:25 am

Programs: \_(ツ)_/
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
sorry, when I saw your post it was before I had my first coffee and my brain just ignored all the abbreviations 😁
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Sorry to be a bit dense but I have no idea what your abbreviations or the bolded text in general means, except that its happening between 0620 and 1000 and also between 1000 and 2000

Pre-tact rate for tomorrow due ML risk LVP's and strong winds. 0620-1000 36/60 and1000-2000 40/60

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.