Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2024, 2:54 am

Hi all, have searched on here but couldn't find much...

I got notified on Thursday 5th October that the BA2797 AGP-LGW on Sunday 8th October was cancelled, I called BA Customer service and was offer flights to a different airport (LHR) on the same day (not suitable as travelling with 2 children and car with suitable children seats parked at LGW), I asked and they refused to rebook on a Vueling flight the previous day from GRX, October 7th, they indicated as reason to cancellation "operational reasons" over the phone on the day I called. Assumption was that would be entitled to compensation and booked the suitable Vueling flight to LGW on October 7th.

I raised a compensation for cancellation claim to BA on October 10th, got a customer relations case number, got no update until December, in which I received a "change of case number" email and no further update until yesterday January 30th. BA feedback: "Your claim's been refused because BA2797, on 08 October was cancelled due to airspace restrictions.
We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule. "

I understand now that there were some ATC limitations at LGW at the time that could have impacted the original flight but, do I have any claim against their refusal to book us in a Vueling flight to LGW the day prior I asked over the phone (this was the flight I purchased for my family)? Or to the fact they mentioned "operational reasons" over the phone rather than ATC/exceptional circumstances? Or to the delay of almost 4 months in providing an answer to my case? I did find this forum as someone got BA2796 cancelled and got feedback from BA on the day so I'm puzzled how quick that was...

Thanks for reading and any suggestion you could offer.

Cheers,
paninovic

Last edited by paninovic; Jan 31, 2024 at 3:45 am
Old Jan 31, 2024, 3:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
welcome to FT paninovic

Looking back at the cancellation thread for 2023 it seems this was the time reductions in flights were being made for LGW routes due to reduced ATC capacity at the airport.
FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition

However, if there were seats available on the VY flight and BA refused to rebook you, that may change the possibility of compensation.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Wednesday 31 January 2024

It will be quite windy in northern England, Scotland, Ulster until around 17:00 hrs, but so far no cancellations there, or for any other BA services today. Tomorrow German services will be cut back. But for today we are looking at 297 BA departures from LHR.

The afternoon ATC report

Landing RWY: 27R
Airborne holding (mins): <5
Departure RWY: 27L
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

Network: Paris 4flight giving low delays

Weather: Winds increasing throughout the afternoon which will decrease the landing rate.
Alternate 1500
RWY ISNP 27L 1500, 27R 1515
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thursday 1 February 2024

As will be well known here, there is a wide impact strike of ground staff in many German airports. Since security is the particular area affected then this broadly makes it impossible to enter from landside to airside, and restricts some connection arrangements. Consequently BA have cancelled some services to Germany, but cancelled rather more services from Germany - in other words it's one way only. So consequently I am listing flights in both directions today.

Flights from LHR cancelled, all are APRN:
BA908 FRA
BA938 DUS
BA996 CGN
BA976 HAJ

Flights to LHR cancelled, again APRN
BA987 BER
BA979 HAJ
BA999 CGN
BA967 HAM
BA909 FRA
BA985 BER
BA975 HAM
BA905 FRA
BA983 BER
BA969 HAM
BA993 BER
BA939 FRA
BA903 FRA
BA997 CGN
BA991 BER
BA977 HAJ
BA917 STR
BA965 HAM
BA901 FRA
BA963 HAM
BA935 DUS
BA957 HAJ
BA981 BER

Also cancelled

BA142 DEL-LHR
(no idea about that one, other than it's delayed until tomorrow)

There are quite a lot of non BA cancellations today, including AY for their separate strike. 310 BA departures today.

ATC report this morning

Airborne holding (mins): 5

Network: Moderate delays through Paris ACC due 4Flight implementation. Non-ATC industrial Action for some parts of Germany and Belgian airfields, nil delays currently.

Weather: Low risk airframe icing until 0900, nil sig and Westerlies.
IMH, mnhusker and Bluekjp like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 3:39 am

BA 142 is due to the diversion of BA 143 from DEL to BOM due to thunderstorms over DEL. It took quite some time to return to DEL due to stand congestion.

BA3574 will return from BOM tomorrow. code OPEY has been used
IMH and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Friday 2 February 2024

Just one cancellation from LHR that I am seeing

BA478 BCN

Plus a load of Finnair cancellations. This gives 319 BA departures today. A fairly terse ATC report:

Airborne holding (mins): 16 Peak Ave 7

Network: EGLLTC Due 3A winds 39/60 0620-1800#

Weather: Strong 3A winds
IMH and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:20 am

BA 478 - TECY. VHF fault that won't clear on G-EUPS.
IMH and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:26 pm

Also today saw BA177 JFK canx. Code DAMY due to engine fan blade damage.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Rust
Just been informed that BA808 cancelled 31/3 - I'm assuming schedule change?

MMB currently offering the next BA operated flight BA834 which departs 2.15 hours later.
All other MMB options listed are for the later BA only operated flights

Is it possible that BA would/could transfer us onto EI153 (BA5953) that is within 30 minutes departure time of the original cancelled BA flight?

Thanks Melt
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Ba248 eze-gig-lhr

Hello
Any idea what happened to cause the 23 hr delay from EZE On 1Feb and 2Feb cancellation of EZE sector ?

Were they waiting for crew or a part on the next arriving flight ?

BA248 today 3 Feb seems sold out and CW and WTP sold out tomorrow 4 Feb. Are there likely to be any issues ? we are travelling 4 Feb in CW from GIG to LHR.

thanks
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Saturday 3 February 2024

No cancellations marked for today. 289 departures due from LHR today for BA. There's a fairly good on-time arrival and departure set of statistics for today, so no real issues I think. Nothing much on the ATC report, a bit of thick cloud and drizzle but nothing too terrible.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MeltIP
Just been informed that BA808 cancelled 31/3 - I'm assuming schedule change?

MMB currently offering the next BA operated flight BA834 which departs 2.15 hours later.
All other MMB options listed are for the later BA only operated flights

Is it possible that BA would/could transfer us onto EI153 (BA5953) that is within 30 minutes departure time of the original cancelled BA flight?
For something that far off it's probably just a schedule adjustment. You should be able to transfer to that Aer Lingus service, but it won't show up online and will require a telephone call.
MeltIP likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Rust
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
;You should be able to transfer to that Aer Lingus service
Thanks CWS, if transferred, will BA luggage allowances still apply?

Last edited by aks120; Feb 3, 2024 at 11:37 pm Reason: Fixed quote
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MeltIP
Thanks CWS, if transferred, will BA luggage allowances still apply?
Yes, the checked luggage will carry over, that's on the e-ticket, but not the status increase from 23 to 32 kgs. The hand luggage will be as per Aer Lingus' rules, but usually whatever you would do on BA will work on Aer Lingus.
MeltIP likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
Hello
Any idea what happened to cause the 23 hr delay from EZE On 1Feb and 2Feb cancellation of EZE sector ?

Were they waiting for crew or a part on the next arriving flight ?

BA248 today 3 Feb seems sold out and CW and WTP sold out tomorrow 4 Feb. Are there likely to be any issues ? we are travelling 4 Feb in CW from GIG to LHR.

thanks
The outbound aircraft from LHR on the 31st suffered a technical fault which nightstopped the BA249. So the delay to BA 248 on the 1st was reactionary as a result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.