Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring back papers and magazines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Newspapers and magazines should reappear in lounges now! I understand why they disappeared with the coronavirus pandemic but times have rolled on and they need to be reinstated.

I used to enjoy picking up a couple and reading them in the lounge and onboard. Press Reader, a tiny picture on my telephone is no substitute! It does of course offer a huge range of magazines and newspapers but it in no substitute for a Daily Mail, Telegraph and The Sun. Reading the same story in three different papers gives one tremendous insight.
They are for reading in the lounge only, not to take with you. Almost every airport in the entire world still has a paper shop in case you want your own copy..

Last edited by patvd; Sep 24, 2023 at 10:00 pm
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:36 pm

Newspapers and magazines should reappear in lounges now! I understand why they disappeared with the coronavirus pandemic but times have rolled on and they need to be reinstated.
I work in the magazine industry (on the e-commerce side) so if there's anyone who wants the magazines to come back, it would be myself. But, they are an ancient mechanism and a dying market and 20/30-somethings are perplexed 'oldies' are attracted to them when everything is online and mostly free.

I met up with a 25-year-old yesterday in London and we chatted about magazines, without him knowing it's my business. He summed up his opinion of them with "magazines, another example of something that is really confusing and takes up so much shelf space and wastes so much resource to produce. Why do people want these?' or words to a similar effect. In a way, he's right. The resource bit for sure - lots of effort, lots of paper, lots of printing.

They are also expensive. Those magazines in BA's lounges must have cost them a good £xxxx/month to restock each day.

I don't miss seeing the piles of paper and magazines in the lounges, if I'm fair, even if it's my market. And ironically I have a copy of Monocle with me today.
MaxFlyer and flybymonkey like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If you want a paper, can you not buy one from Smiths?
BlueThroughCrimp and dca100 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:41 am

Programs: TP *S | FB Silver | LH
While newspapers/magazines may not be available inside the lounges. I never had issues finding them around at LHR (at least on T2) on some stands near the departure gates (and those can be taken free of charge).
dca100 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Dear ScottishPoet , Yes you are right and I can also buy a can of Coke and a Sandwich there along with a SIM card if wifi is removed from the lounges.

Like all things it’s down to personal preference . I access books magazines and news using both modalities, even poetry sometimes. I love sitting down with a paper copy of a book or magazine . I find I concentrate more on the content and am less distracted than when on a device . It’s also a pleasantly tactile experience. I can’t deny however the convenience and speed of an online device even though that’s not always a good thing in this busy world .

Last edited by simonsmith; Sep 25, 2023 at 1:12 am
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It is also a form of decoration. When you visit the Eurostar lounges and see racks full of every high end publication going, pretty much, it sends out a signal about the sort of place it is.

In the same way that empty BA racks send out a signal about the sort of airline BA is ….
Swanhunter, the810, dca100 and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Raffles

In the same way that empty BA racks send out a signal about the sort of airline BA is ….
By that logic I'd want to fly with WH Smith every trip.
dca100, Beltway2A and RichieMc like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
It is also a form of decoration. When you visit the Eurostar lounges and see racks full of every high end publication going, pretty much, it sends out a signal about the sort of place it is.

I agree that the empty racks indicate BA's attitude to every aspect of its operations, but the answer (to me) is to remove the racks, not to fill them with newspapers and magazines.

It is possible to buy, at the airport, a far greater range of publications than BA could ever stock in its lounges. What the OP seems to be asking for is a return to free newspapers, which is not going to happen for the reasons outlined by NWIFlyer in post #10.
MaxFlyer and dca100 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Yes, print publications are on the wane. I do find print newspapers (or magazines) superior for leisure reading as in starting on page 1 and going through the entire publication page by page. I often learn things I never would have otherwise. Online, I don't ever do that--rather it is just looking at the home page/headlines and going to a few articles or looking specifically at articles pushed to me from social media, digests, colleagues, etc.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager

I used to enjoy picking up a couple and reading them in the lounge and onboard. Press Reader, a tiny picture on my telephone is no substitute! It does of course offer a huge range of magazines and newspapers but it in no substitute for a Daily Mail, Telegraph and The Sun. Reading the same story in three different papers gives one tremendous insight.

Things may be looking up as I have just picked up my first copy of Business Traveller in years

(The sharp-eyed will spot I am not in a BA lounge.)
Daily Mail, Telegraph, and The Sun offering 'tremendous insight'? That is a first
TTmex likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by Kay_Baden
So you are happy to read a newspaper where the news is already over 12 hours old .

I just wish they can get rid of the paper and card menus. Make it digital but still have a few physical menu cards for those that cannot access digital menus.
Well you either get rid of paper menus or you don't, if you have a few them they still exist and long may that continue for people like me who do not have a smartphone, I have a "Dumbphone" , 2g, call/texts only. I don't read newspapers online and I love going to my local library and choosing real books to read and turn actual pages rather than looking at some piece of electronic plastic. At three score years (and hopefully many more to come) that is exactly what I will continue to do.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by Confus
But not the Times, for those who like actual news with proper journalism.
Wasn't the old joke "... members of the press were in attendance plus a representative of The Times"?
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with the word ‘buy’.
simonsmith and RockyRobin like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
Wasn't the old joke "... members of the press were in attendance plus a representative of The Times"?
DaveS, dwugson and AnaTravel like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

If anyone is looking for the latest news just hang around WH Smiths as that's where the journalists gather before they fly. You can spot them eating ice creams as they always like a good scoop

(I'll get me coat)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.